Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 year banning order

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really feel for [MENTION=10185]Dave[/MENTION]boy1973 - he's been ridiculously unlucky and harshly treated here.

There's probably not many on here who've not let out a tirade of swearing at a football match at some time or another. For that to be picked up and used as a way of stopping you seeing the Albion for 3 years is grossly out of proportion with the 'crime'.

I really can't help but feel this is fallout from 'Gaygate'. Hampshire police make a point of telling Saints fans that there will be zero tolerance on homophobic abuse and carry out that threat with 2 arrests and 1 subsequent banning order. To highlight their even handedness they just happen to get an Albion fan for swearing on the same day who suffers a similar fate. Mere coincidence do you think?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How do banning orders even work? Assuming this is all true, are we really expected to believe that if the original poster turns up at Middlesborough on Saturday, that they would really know not to sell him a ticket?? Surely all that can reasonably be done is for Brighton to refuse to sell him a ticket via the website?

[MENTION=10185]Dave[/MENTION]boy1973, by force of law, is not permitted to attend any football game (this goes down to some non-league level or other) for the specified time. If he does, and gets caught, he's in big big trouble.

Regardless of the injustice of the original offence, you'd have to be a bit stupid to go against the court order - the risk/reward ratio is against you.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If this had happened a few years back, my swearing would have gone through the (albeit non-existent) roof. I'd have dearly loved to have been banned rather than watch that Micky Adams season. I could have done with it to save me from myself.

Harsh to miss out on the current crop though. Tough call.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I really feel for [MENTION=10185]Dave[/MENTION]boy1973 - he's been ridiculously unlucky and harshly treated here.

There's probably not many on here who've not let out a tirade of swearing at a football match at some time or another. For that to be picked up and used as a way of stopping you seeing the Albion for 3 years is grossly out of proportion with the 'crime'.

I really can't help but feel this is fallout from 'Gaygate'. Hampshire police make a point of telling Saints fans that there will be zero tolerance on homophobic abuse and carry out that threat with 2 arrests and 1 subsequent banning order. To highlight their even handedness they just happen to get an Albion fan for swearing on the same day who suffers a similar fate. Mere coincidence do you think?

Couldn't agree more. Some of the more pious on here need to reflect on the pre-withdean years and realise what went on at BHA matches. I spent as much time as I could on the west terrace by the tunnel so I could abuse (dare I say) threaten the Directors............I was not alone.

I know things have moved on, but football (just like other aspects of life) is becoming more and more sterile and anyone who thinks a 3 year ban for this offence is reasonable is frankly a f***ing c**t.

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
[MENTION=10185]Dave[/MENTION]boy1973, by force of law, is not permitted to attend any football game (this goes down to some non-league level or other) for the specified time. If he does, and gets caught, he's in big big trouble.

Regardless of the injustice of the original offence, you'd have to be a bit stupid to go against the court order - the risk/reward ratio is against you.

If i get caught i get banned for life. I have to hand my passport in every time england play abroad. As much as i wanna go i cant risk it

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Painting on a Larger Canvas

I can't quite see what any of that link has to do with the above?

Imagine attending a public event, such as a professional soccer game. You know there will be a large volume of people congregating at the stadium. However, you do not foresee any danger as part of the crowd. Your adrenaline rushes as you watch the game with excitement, and everything seems to be sound. Then suddenly, you sense a disturbance among the people around you. Before you can rationalize your perceptions, you feel a push from behind and in an instant you're lying on the ground face pressed into the dirt. You use all your strength in an attempt to stand up again, but the crowd does not notice or care to help with your struggle. Instead they proceed to trample on your helpless body to save their own lives. You begin to panic. Then you come to the realization that the area has succumbed to pandemonium.

I think you might understand if you have been a dangerous crowd situation at a football match. I can think of a handful of examples pre-Hillsborough. It starts from almost nothing sometimes.

My greatest ire is against the sneaky little person who starts the trouble and then watches the mayhem.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Couldn't agree more. Some of the more pious on here need to reflect on the pre-withdean years and realise what went on at BHA matches. I spent as much time as I could on the west terrace by the tunnel so I could abuse (dare I say) threaten the Directors............I was not alone.

I know things have moved on, but football (just like other aspects of life) is becoming more and more sterile and anyone who thinks a 3 year ban for this offence is reasonable is frankly a f***ing c**t.
too many Badiel and skinner types at footbal these days , your salt of the earth types seem priced out ,will it ever change........

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Look, it's very simple. My understanding of football these days is as follows. Call it a fan's charter, but the bottom line is if you don't like it, suck it up!! Like space, no one will hear you screaming. So stop wasting your time. Try Rugby or "get into the Olympics".

1. As FOOTBALL supporters, you forfeit many of your everyday rights namely you're guility until YOU prove your innocence because of hooliganism that took place mostly more than 30years ago now. And all fans are Hooligans. This is key to understanding any sentence that's handed down to you when compared to e.g. texting whilst driving. Ironically, when it comes to getting money out of you, you're time-warped back into the 21st century and are a "customer".

2. If you do persist in trying to prove your innocence, it's conditional upon authorities being prepared to listen. If they don't want to, you're still guilty.

3. If they are prepared to listen, or you already agree you're guilty but feel the sentence is a bit OTT and you'd like to appeal, it's likely they'll only do so AFTER you've appointed a soliciator (and who's going to do that in this age of austerity?) NB: authorities know this, and thus draconnian like sentences can be administered. The chances of you winning are less than the lottery. Seriously.

4. Any person's (in a position of authority at a football match) word counts far more than the fan deemed to be offending. Even the person in a position of authority is being unreasonable, it's a case of mistaken identity or said offence is deemed petty when compared to other outside-football breaches of common or criminal law.

5. People who shout (anything, not just industrial language) at football matches, stand up or otherwise draw attention to themselves in anyway SIGNIFICANTLY increase their chances of being targetted by the authorities as "a trouble-maker".

6. Re: point 5, once identified by authorities as such, it's only a matter of time: your number's up. Start taking an interest in "local" football.

7. Following YOUR club threw hell or highwater counts for NOTHING. The club's management in difficult times is NEVER the same as when it's on the up. This is a very important point to note and something most supporters struggle to understand. The same people taking your money, selling your ground and basically abusing the bizzare business model that is football frequently changes. And there is no "debt of gratitude" obligation that passes between regimes. At the start of every season, everyone is equal. Especially JCLs.

8. It's THEIR ball. And they choose who plays with it.

9. Pay up. Sit down. Shut up. You'll get what you're given.

10. Expressing outrage on the internet is pointless. A complete waste of energy. Unless you're prepared to go through with pt.3's "snowflake in hell chance"? Good luck if so, chances are you have many people's sympathy. Unfortunately, they can't do anything about it.

Seriously, the above might seem cynical, but it's actually got more truths in it than you realise. Certainly many people's experience. The cost benefit equation we all have to work out for ourselves is whether all of the above is a price worth paying when e.g. Robbie Reinelt, Gordon Smith, Adam Virgo, Dean Wilkins or Johnny Byrne's flying header at Anfield crashes the ball into the back of net? For me, it is :) But you might feel very different....

Nov 20, 2003
hove
great post portlock it seems the club have already forgoten the lengths fans went to for the cause from both ends of the suporting spectrums .I know withdean was a shithole but you felt a sense of belonging and real togetherness ........... yes amex is a real thing of beauty, but something is missing ...... just the way I feel thats all

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
great post portlock it seems the club have already forgoten the lengths fans went to for the cause from both ends of the suporting spectrums .I know withdean was a shithole but you felt a sense of belonging and real togetherness ........... yes amex is a real thing of beauty, but something is missing ...... just the way I feel thats all

Maybe, maybe not.

But this particular incident has nothing to do with the Albion nor, I imagine, anything to do with Sussex police.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
no doesnt affect my work, just think the whole thing is ridiculous, i know people have their opinion but even the most anal of people must realise that 3 yrs for effectively swearing at a football match which is full of emotions is over the top. after all it aint a library, and if u read section 5, i didnt really cause any alarm,distress or harrasment to anybody.

Really feel for you mate. 3 years is far to much for that. I got 6 month ban in Goldstone days.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
sorry stand corrected it was at st marys but would it not have been nice that club could of supported him in some way and sxx police after all he had no previous .guess if this had of been outside archers house different matter

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Has davy boy got any chance with european court of human rights fredom of speach and all that or do you need loads of money to pursue something like that ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be honest, I've read most of the posts on here, and there is little or no description other than the words themselves of whether they were directed at anyone in particular, whether the OP was next to the home fans shouting at them, at the front row shouting at players, whether he had been warned at all during the course of the game etc. etc. Seems to be very little detail for a lot of people to be making some pretty broad conclusions.

It seems an incredibly harsh punishment, but an occasional swear word aimed at no one in particular, is very different to abuse hurled in a threatening manner at an individual. I can't work out from anything in this thread what the context for the swearing was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here