Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£27 million for Olympic opening ceremony. Obscene!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I have very little interest in the Olympics generally. Not because it's happening in the UK, I just find the whole event a bit dull.

HOWEVER, the look of that opening ceremony has grabbed my interest. It looks MAD.

Granted it could end up looking a bit like a village fete but it could also be a work of surreal brilliance. I'll be tuning in.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I lived in Sydney during the run up to the 2000 Olympics, all the negativity here reminds me so much of the run in I experienced then. Most people can't wait, why have we sold more tickets than any other Olympics? This will without doubt go down as one of the best of all time. If you don't like the Olympics just leave the country for 2 weeks, PLEASE...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have very little interest in the Olympics generally. Not because it's happening in the UK, I just find the whole event a bit dull.

HOWEVER, the look of that opening ceremony has grabbed my interest. It looks MAD.

Granted it could end up looking a bit like a village fete but it could also be a work of surreal brilliance. I'll be tuning in.

I am totally against having the Olympics in London. If we have to do an opening ceremony, then something "different" and uniquely British is the way to go, BUT how can the effing thing cost £27 million?? Sheep, pigs and cricketers are just not that expensive.

I will not be watching any of it anyway. a clip on the TV News will be quite enough.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,but who wants a new hospital wing,new school,more nurses,teachers,policemen when you can blow unbelievable sums of money on transient nonsense ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
They should just put a big public toilet in the stadium for the opening ceremony. That would symbolise the games perfectly. On one hand a load of old shite and on the second a load of money being flushed down the khazi. Maybe every athlete could then have a big dump before wiping their arse with £50 notes followed by a flush and a big cheer.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
This country is going through a very difficult period,severe financial cuts to Health,Schools and local government yet a vast amount of money has been found for this three week event,which we could watch on TV where ever it was held.The corporate guys have creamed off much of the top events leaving the archery,wrestling and other minor events for the rest of us,London has been disrupted for weeks by work required for the games including closing parts of the underground at night and at weekends.
Nobody is facing up to the fact that this event is going to be a massive security risk,despite the large amount of cash being spent and after the very costly fireworks display there will be a long period of ongoing costs,which this country cannot afford.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Blimey, we've got some right miserablists on here.

It's going to be a great event, watched all around the world, and remembered for a lifetime to come.

I can't wait!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The anti's here seem to forget that when the Olympics where awarded in 2005 when world and country where not in the position which we are now. At the time the country was doing cartwheels in celebration of the nomination to host the games.

Look at the positives, stadiums built in time and under budget, the biggest ticket sales of any games, the regeneration of a run down area in East London. Seb Coe and his committee have worked wonders, huge third party investment and the massive income from the Olympic lottery. Even in the wilds of Hampshire we have overseas guests coming to stay in the Bed & Breakfast bringing with them new money from outside the country, we are just the tips of the iceberg with the injection of overseas cash.

What where the country meant to do, say "Sorry we can't afford it and cancel the games", no just like 1948 when we hosted the games after the war we are going to show case the event and show the world why there is a "Great" in Great Britain.

I for one can't wait for the games to start and fly my flag in the shop window.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, we've got some right miserablists on here.

It's going to be a great event, watched all around the world, and remembered for a lifetime to come.

I can't wait!

Not miserablist at all (well, OK then, maybe I am), but £27 million for an opening effing ceremony? I honestly cannot believe it.

And why would people all around the world watch an opening ceremony?

I thought the Olympic Games was about sport (sure most of them minority interest ones), not about opening ceremonies?

Madness, I tell you. Madness.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... we are going to show case the event and show the world why there is a "Great" in Great Britain.

With due respect and all that ... that is absolute bollocks. Great Britain being Great has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympic Games or the opening ceremony. And we have no need to prove to anyone why our country is Great. For those who don't believe it is, an Olympic Games is not going to change their minds.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes,but who wants a new hospital wing,new school,more nurses,teachers,policemen when you can blow unbelievable sums of money on transient nonsense ?

ye ok..forget supporting arts.. any sort of culture..overseas aid..any grants ..shall we look at what local councils do as well..make sure they don't give any money to anything .. that doesn't fit in with the above...np

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With due respect and all that ... that is absolute bollocks. Great Britain being Great has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympic Games or the opening ceremony. And we have no need to prove to anyone why our country is Great. For those who don't believe it is, an Olympic Games is not going to change their minds.

well it obviously won't u as u only have the one view...but others it just might..ok i'll not support the great bit and that was unfair to reply to u like that...but it does have a role in promoting britain as i posted earlier i do some work for a guy who for the past year has been getting business people from overseas to com over re the olympics as part of a way to encourage trade with this country

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here