Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£27 million for Olympic opening ceremony. Obscene!

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
It is what it is

What is the point of spending all that money to host the Olympic games in London & then worrying about how much the opening ceremony costs.

A bit like buying a Ferrari and then complaining the insurance is a bit steep.

Still a hell of a lot of money though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No pleasing some people, if the opening ceremony is rubbish they will moan and if it is brilliant the self same people will say "well it did cost £27 million".
I think a fair few media types/script writers et al have already decided it's going to be rubbish.
No amount quality will have them saying, 'you know what I was wrong to prejudge a showcase event, because putting down the country is funny'.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I'm sure its a complete rip off as are all of large organised events. People who organise these things don't have a clue about keeping to tight budgets or how to make sure that they are getting best value. Personally, I think the concept looks hilarious - typically britishly insane. But i'm sure they could have given some local farmers and their local village entertainers 1/50 of the money and still ended up with a fab day. Oh well as I said, the British are simply insane.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Was spending £100m on building the best stadium in England for a team that has played in front of crowds of 6000 for the last 14 years justified.
Whatever the opening ceremony costs people will still moan about it.
If it was unspectacular to save money the same people would moan that we cannot compete with other countries to host the olympic games.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Was spending £100m on building the best stadium in England for a team that has played in front of crowds of 6000 for the last 14 years justified.
Whatever the opening ceremony costs people will still moan about it.
If it was unspectacular to save money the same people would moan that we cannot compete with other countries to host the olympic games.

You can not compare the festival of minority sports with the Amex and the Albion. How many billions has this now cost, there is absolutely no hope of recouping this money and now we are going to put a field in the middle of the West Ham stadium to show the world a bit of Britain...............for 27 million. Unbelievable!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I think a fair few media types/script writers et al have already decided it's going to be rubbish.
No amount quality will have them saying, 'you know what I was wrong to prejudge a showcase event, because putting down the country is funny'.
I think that's just the Red Tops who think is easy and funny to put down the country. It's not funny, it's just cheap and at a time when flag waving and patriotism has once again become vogue and we have started to see communities coming together as one.

So what if the ceremony is going to be a bit wacky, that what us Brits do so well.

My only concern is the amount of pig, sheep and cow shit which will be left behind, hope someone has down a full Risk Assesment, never work with children and animals.

IanH

9sept1978
Nov 6, 2010
Don't forget that 80,000 people are spending anything up to £2012 to watch it. At an average price of £350 a ticket that covers cost of show, and at that price I'd want a spectacle.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
People have been moaning about the olympics in this country since day 2 after we won the bid. "oh we'll be shit hosts, oh the infrastructure will be shit, oh the stadiums will be shit, oh the athletes will be shit, everything will be shiiiiiiit". Typical English attitude, it's going to cost a fair bit but it's a once in a life time experience. When I was on holiday in Canada, the people of Calgary were so proud of how they hosted the winter Olympics and what they've done with the Olympic parks since. It makes me cringe the comments I hear about london 2012 sometimes.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
You can not compare the festival of minority sports with the Amex and the Albion. How many billions has this now cost, there is absolutely no hope of recouping this money and now we are going to put a field in the middle of the West Ham stadium to show the world a bit of Britain...............for 27 million. Unbelievable!

Your right, the Olympics has cost billions so why is the cost of the first thing billions of people around the world see of a London Olympics so obscene.
I think I must be one of the few people on hear that is proud to be English & hope that we can host an olympic games that makes others proud to be English.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
That clearly isn't a British country scene.
I see no pikey caravans

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just out of interest does anyone actually watch the opening ceremonies at Olympics/World Cup/Euros?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just out of interest does anyone actually watch the opening ceremonies at Olympics/World Cup/Euros?

I have a friend who is incredibly excited to have a ticket for the opening ceremony. I just don't get it - this sort of thing bores the pants off me! He seems more excited about seeing the opening ceremony than seeing any sport....

The Olympic Stadium holds 80,000 people.

To recoup the £27 million from one event, tickets would have to be sold at an average of £337.50.

Some tickets for the Opening Ceremony cost a hell of a lot more than that.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think a lot has been missed planning this Olympics. For example does anyone know if we used British companies to manufacture any of the Olympic merchandise that will be on sale, if not that was a golden opportunity missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here