Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£27 million for Olympic opening ceremony. Obscene!

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
and what are we getting for 27 million?

a farmyard scene

boyle2_logoc2_2246001b.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£10 million would have been obscene, but £27 effing million???
You're not wrong.
But over the last couple of months the level of patronising, self satisfying, sneering that people have attached to an event, that hasn't even happened is really pi$$ing me off.

Edit: Thanks Pat.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really you rarely get a chance to showcase your country to roughly a quarter of the global population - money well spent

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We can't pay Becks peanuts! Well we could, he'd still go away happy, his accountants won't allow it though.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The money is not lost or destroyed. It is just being fed into the economy. Good sense.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Not really you rarely get a chance to showcase your country to roughly a quarter of the global population - money well spent

lol

another "ego, look at me" style post by beach hut. justifying the spending of that on a silly ceremony. a country is based upons it foreign policies not its stupid sports ceremonies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and what are we getting for 27 million?

a farmyard scene

boyle2_logoc2_2246001b.jpg
Why is the stadium a bowl?

Shouldn't someone mention it needs straight track, too?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
lol

another "ego, look at me" style post by beach hut. justifying the spending of that on a silly ceremony. a country is based upons it foreign policies not its stupid sports ceremonies.

What absolute bollox about ego it is all about an opinion ignoramus.

In my view it is going to be a huge event for us to showcase to the world our country.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
We'll never get back the amount spent. Showcase my arse. No country will want to do business with UK just because we spunked an obscene amount of money on the Stratford Sports Day. Can't wait until it's finished.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

The UK does NOT need to be showcased. We are already one of the highest profile countries in the world. Showcased for what benefit exactly?? And how will a farmyard scene help to showcase the UK? Assist our manure exports?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The money is not lost or destroyed. It is just being fed into the economy. Good sense.

In which case it should be "fed into the economy" by giving it to the needy to relieve poverty. That way it would serve two purposes.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
No pleasing some people, if the opening ceremony is rubbish they will moan and if it is brilliant the self same people will say "well it did cost £27 million".

It's a great unknown whether the Olympics will be a loss maker or turn a profit, I'm sure that everything has been budgeted for.

I for one just can't wait for the Olympics to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here