Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 2024 Tour de France

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Anyway.....team of the race for me..?
EF Education. Always on the attack, stage wins, the yellow jersey, the climbers jersey etc. Great race for them I thought.
Disappointments? Decathlon AG2r, as one of the winningest teams in 2024 I expected a lot more from them, although they snuck Gall into fairly decent final position without really showing anything at all over 3 weeks. Also Bahrain....what was the point? 😏

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He's got a bit lost in all the excitement (and speculation) about Pogačar, but the other exciting new talent I've watched winning at this year's tour is Biniam Girmay, the Eritrean sprinter
Absolutely. He’s been a breath of fresh air throughout.

Cycling has been a sport noticeable by its ‘whiteness’ - hopefully this is going to change.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not much different, no.

But I love the traditional sprint stage to finish the Tour, with the main event already decided - and if it’s decided on the penultimate stage, that’s even more exciting, IMO.
Oh, I agree with that, certainly.

After the majesty of the French countryside and mountains, Paris serves up a thrilling spectacle to round the whole thing off.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, I was talking to @Hamilton about this the other day.

He was convinced that Pog is clean - that it’s virtually impossible to get away with ‘things’ these days.

He compared him as a generational talent to Usain Bolt, Messi and Donald Bradman.

I’m prepared to go with this assessment.
In my head I think he must be clean because if he was doping surely he wouldn't be so obviously taking the piss and winning so many stages unnecessarily

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
In my head I think he must be clean because if he was doping surely he wouldn't be so obviously taking the piss and winning so many stages unnecessarily
Agree. Also saw a comment on coverage (though can’t remember who) saying that cycling has widened its appeal tremendously over the last few years and they’re getting athletes in the sport who would previously taken their abilities elsewhere. As the pool of talent gets bigger it also gets better.

For example Remco Evenopoel was originally going to be a footballer (he played for Belgium at u16 level) but opted for cycling instead.

I really enjoyed the whole race. Even though Pogacar was nailed on to win from ages out he still lit up the race with attacks on most stages and stirred the pot with some of the sub contests. I really hope he goes for the Vuelta but can’t see it happening

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I hope Pogačar has won it clean but lets face it the sport's history is littered with doping scandals so it is inevitable that apparently superhuman efforts that result in significant racing results are always going to be open to question particularly on mountain stages - and the dopers tend to always be one step ahead of the testers.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I was only thinking the other day that ITV need to update their intro music etc...its been like that how many years now?!
Noooo... It needs to stay! My daughter used to come home from school around the same time that the end of the stage would be on and we would put it on. This music has such happy memories for me. Shes now 19 and at University. A year or 2 ago, I asked her if she wanted to sit down and watch the tour with me, she said that she didnt really like it and only did that to spend that time with me :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here