Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 2024 Tour de France

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm sure this has been mentioned, the Netflix TdF documentary is brilliant - especially for someone who knows nothing about the race (other than a few names of riders).

Gripping stuff. Now considering going to watch it in France next year.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That last week by Pogacar was just incredible. He’s frighteningly good.

When Cav won stage 5 I thought it likely that he’d set a record of stage wins that would never be beaten. If Pogacar keeps his form, he could blow it away.

We are looking at a sportsman who is potentially one of the absolute greats of world sport. Ever.

Staggering.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

When Cav won stage 5 I thought it likely that he’d set a record of stage wins that would never be beaten. If Pogacar keeps his form, he could blow it away.

We are looking at a sportsman who is potentially one of the absolute greats of world sport. Ever.

Staggering.
Pogacar was simply too good for both major races so far this year, Vuelta ?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've really enjoyed this year's TdF. I have to say, though, that I always feel that ending on a time trial is a bit of an anti-climax. Racing issues have almost always been decided, so it boils down to watching the same scenes over and over again before they hand out the gongs. Now a mountaintop finish....

I guess there are sound logistical reasons for not doing that (not least the lack of mountains in Paris). Maybe if they took a more innovative approach to presenting a TT, such as overlaying 'ghost' riders to allow a more direct comparison than occasional time checks.
I agree that finishing with a TT is not the way to end the Tour. The Champs Elysees sprint is part of the Tour’s rich history, and I wouldn’t want it to be replaced.

The previous time there was a TT on the final stage, in Paris, when Greg Lemond overtook Laurent Fignon to win by about nine seconds, was incredibly dramatic - but it didn’t feel right.

It’ll be a one off, I think.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I agree that finishing with a TT is not the way to end the Tour. The Champs Elysees sprint is part of the Tour’s rich history, and I wouldn’t want it to be replaced.

The previous time there was a TT on the final stage, in Paris, when Greg Lemond overtook Laurent Fignon to win by about nine seconds, was incredibly dramatic - but it didn’t feel right.

It’ll be a one off, I think.
I can't share your love of the CE finish.

I can't believe they could not have found a decent route to allow a sprint finish today.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I can't share your love of the CE finish.

I can't believe they could not have found a decent route to allow a sprint finish today.
Also, the joy of the CE is the fact that a massive crowd can watch them go round the final circuit eight times.

I’m not sure if there’s an equivalent boulevard anywhere else - and certainly not in Nice.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
After 2yrs of not really watching, Ive loved every minute of this years edition.
The racing has been fantastic, the sub plots amazing (Cavs 35th, Girmays green jersey etc) and the scenery absolutely MAJESTIC.
France really is an incredible country with so many diverse, & beautiful landscapes.

Vive Le Tour!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Also, the joy of the CE is the fact that a massive crowd can watch them go round the final circuit eight times.

I’m not sure if there’s an equivalent boulevard anywhere else - and certainly not in Nice.

did you see the crowds today , they were massive, they could of easily done a circuit around Nice , but decided to a TT from Monaco to Nice which was a fitting finale to the race

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is that much different to 2020 when Roglic blew up in the time trial on the final Saturday, handing the Tour to Pogacar?

To all intents and purposes, the final proper stage was a TT that determined the outcome.

I also enjoyed this Tour and watched as much as I could, but Pogacar's dominance took a little edge off the main event. He was just in a different league, which is incredible to watch, but I do love a closer GC content between two or more riders up the big mountains.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Staggering.
It was indeed a superhuman achievement ... the last time I saw a racer go up mountains like that was.....well, you know who......

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As an aside to the racing itself, I've watched the entire TDF on ITV4 this year for the first time, as "shouty Orla" was just getting too much to bear over the last couple of years on Eurosport.
I know a lot on here adore her, but I much prefer the calmer approach of Gary Imlach & crew these days. That said, I do still really like Rob Hatch and Carlton Kirby etc. on the comms on ES. Maybe its just me getting older & grumpier.....

Oh, for the good old days of Phil Liggett & Paul Sherwen (RIP) eh?!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A really enjoyable tour. A variety of stage winners, Cav getting the record and yes Pogacar's dominance did take the sting out of the last week but it was a majestic performance. Considering the crash earlier this year Jonas performed admirably. I can only hope that both riders are at full fitness for next year as this is a brutal rivalry.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is that much different to 2020 when Roglic blew up in the time trial on the final Saturday, handing the Tour to Pogacar?

To all intents and purposes, the final proper stage was a TT that determined the outcome.

I also enjoyed this Tour and watched as much as I could, but Pogacar's dominance took a little edge off the main event. He was just in a different league, which is incredible to watch, but I do love a closer GC content between two or more riders up the big mountains.
Not much different, no.

But I love the traditional sprint stage to finish the Tour, with the main event already decided - and if it’s decided on the penultimate stage, that’s even more exciting, IMO.

I would also normally agree that Tours de France are spoiled somewhat by the over dominance of one particular rider. The days of the Sky train grinding out huge time gaps were, at times, mind numbingly boring.

But watching Pogacar dominate has been awesome - such an aggressive, attacking cyclist. An absolute one off.

I so hope that there is nothing in what @Surf's Up is alluding to above.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I think its only natural to think that, after the 80's and the LA years. I have at times myself, when watching Pogs performances this year.
Until its proved otherwise though, Im just going to enjoy what is an incredible new era for the sport.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think its only natural to think that, after the 80's and the LA years. I have at times myself, when watching Pogs performances this year.
Until it’s proved otherwise though, Im just going to enjoy what is an incredible new era for the sport.
Yes, I was talking to @Hamilton about this the other day.

He was convinced that Pog is clean - that it’s virtually impossible to get away with ‘things’ these days.

He compared him as a generational talent to Usain Bolt, Messi and Donald Bradman.

I’m prepared to go with this assessment.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, I was talking to @Hamilton about this the other day.

He was convinced that Pog is clean - that it’s virtually impossible to get away with ‘things’ these days.

He compared him as a generational talent to Usain Bolt, Messi and Donald Bradman.

I’m prepared to go with this assessment.
Its always in the back of my mind about PEDs....ever since the Festina affair, and subsequent scandals (Saunier Duval was it, with David Millar?)
Im sure with the "medical" advances since the LA years, that there must be some new substance out there which isn't on the banned list yet, or is undetectable, but for now we have to believe in that generational talent tag....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here