Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2024 Copa América - Julio Enciso, Jeremy Sarmiento and Tom McGill

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The 48th edition of Copa América takes place this summer in the United States of America. The tournament is the South American version of UEFA's Euros, but since the 1990's teams from North America and Asia have also been invited to compete. Along with the usual 10 South American (CONMEBOL) nations, 6 countries qualified for this year's tournament through the CONCACAF (North and Central American and Caribbean) Nations League competition.

I believe that Brighton and Hove Albion have only had one player represent the club at this tournament in the past, with Moises Caicedo and Ecudaor reaching the quarter-finals in 2021.

This summer Albion have three representatives at the tournament:-

Tom McGill (Canada)
Jeremy Sarmiento (Ecuador)
Julio Enciso (Paraguay)

The competition gets underway on Thursday when Canada face World Cup winners Argentina.
Ecuador (and Jeremy Sarmiento) play their first group fixture (against Venezuela) on Saturday and Paraguay (with Julio Enciso) kick-off their campaign against Colombia next Monday.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Makes me wonder how much of a worldwide audience the Euros gets. Because the equivalents around the world such as this I tend to have absolutely no idea are even happening

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
So, things get underway later this afternoon.

Tom McGill and the Canadian Men's National Team against reigning world champions Argentina.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Canada are so entertaining to watch. Unlucky to be losing this match.

I hope Southgate is making notes on how to get a team to play football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Canada are so entertaining to watch. Unlucky to be losing this match.

I hope Southgate is making notes on how to get a team to play football.
I watched the game as I couldn't sleep. I thought Canada played well, and missed two presentable chances (one header that should have been directed either side of the keeper for a certain goal, the other a scuffed back post chance)- but it's a stretch to say they were unlucky to be losing just after half time - Argentina should have scored four themselves by then.

But it shows that even Jesse Marsche is light years ahead of Southgate.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I watched the game as I couldn't sleep. I thought Canada played well, and missed two presentable chances (one header that should have been directed either side of the keeper for a certain goal, the other a scuffed back post chance)- but it's a stretch to say they were unlucky to be losing just after half time - Argentina should have scored four themselves by then.

But it shows that even Jesse Marsche is light years ahead of Southgate.

Oh I don't know. I think it could easily have been 2-2 at that point. Both teams had big chances they should have scored.

Having said that, Argentina should have scored about 8 goals in the last 20 minutes.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ecuador down to ten men in the first half after Enner Valencia decided to practice his kick-boxing in the penalty area:-

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And now Sarmiento is booked (rightly so, he was about two yards away from making contact with the ball in a tackle).

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Nice

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
IMG_4324.png

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I wonder if Huerzeler is actually in the stadium in Santa Clara this afternoon, watching his player in person?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here