Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2022/23 Relegation Thread

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
When Wolves sell Ruben Neves, they'll be in trouble unless they spend well. Leeds will let Rapinha and potentially Phillips go but, much like Wolves, need to spend the money wisely. They both have form to bring good players to the attention of the CL clubs so I think they'll both attract good talent. Bournemouth and Forest for me have thin squads. Southampton could be in trouble this year.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I think Leeds will go bonkers in the transfer window and will be nowhere near relegation,Forest will do the same but spend unwisely and be flirting with relegation all season,Fulham will be devastated if they don't go down as usual,after much consideration my 3 for the drop are .

Leicester 37pts
Bournemouth 30pts
Newcastle -10 pts

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Not sure how “pedigree” or the opinion of pundits of whether we’re last on MOTD (we’re normally not anyway) is going to make the slightest bit of difference. Ask Burnley or Sunderland or Stoke. And if you stick a tenner into Albion going down - then that’s £50 at least you’ve wasted so far so not sure how that’s “always worth it “ either.

I think you’ve over analysed!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you’ve over analysed!

We aren’t last on MOTD “every week”, and betting on us to go down, which you argue is “worth it” , is clearly not been much of a cert now for 5 seasons.

Agree we won’t be in the PL forever but if Palace can hang about for a decade then who knows.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's all guesswork at the moment isn't it, but a few gut feelings...

Wolves to really struggle early next season, but they should have the money and the Mendes links to buy their way out of it. Lage first manager sacked is a shout.

Villa are doing some objectively cracking business already, but it does smell a little bit Everton to me. Gerrard also very much an unknown quantity.

I always think Saints will struggle but they never end up in real danger. I do feel this season will be different and they'll be in the scrap.

Fully expect Fulham and Bournemouth to go down, but I think Forest could be next season's Brentford.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The correct answer.

As for us, I'd be happy with mid table = consolidation of our position. Pleasantly surprised to see at least on this thread a huge dose of similar realism.

Indeed. I fully expected a poll asking who we would prefer to be beating in the 2023/24 Champions League Final, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or Juventus.

Realism is a very rarely seen virtue on NSC.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's all guesswork at the moment isn't it, but a few gut feelings...

Wolves to really struggle early next season, but they should have the money and the Mendes links to buy their way out of it. Lage first manager sacked is a shout.

Villa are doing some objectively cracking business already, but it does smell a little bit Everton to me. Gerrard also very much an unknown quantity.

I always think Saints will struggle but they never end up in real danger. I do feel this season will be different and they'll be in the scrap.

Fully expect Fulham and Bournemouth to go down, but I think Forest could be next season's Brentford.

Agree with all of this, especially the last paragraph, Steve Cooper is one very astute manager, and could become the next Graham Potter. Mid table for Forest next season l fancy.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
O.K. So we know the runners and riders but not really a clue to the handicaps or conditions . Any teams plans (including ours) can be ruined by key players leaving or new prospects not signing so way too early to be predicting in my opinion . It seems to me that quite a few on this thread are leaning more to what they hope will happen rather than what they truly believe . I suppose the only 2 things that can be stated with a good degree of certainty is that the big 6 will very likely remain the big 6 and that with the gulf between the premier league and championship seemingly growing that at least 2 of the promoted sides will be returning from whence they came .
So if i say plucky , trees , and Osman's boys i must be on a winner ! :D

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We aren’t last on MOTD “every week”, and betting on us to go down, which you argue is “worth it” , is clearly not been much of a cert now for 5 seasons.

Agree we won’t be in the PL forever but if Palace can hang about for a decade then who knows.

The Albion have always, always had less ‘luck’ than those jammy dodgers up the road. It would be so us to follow a terrific season with relegation!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The Albion have always, always had less ‘luck’ than those jammy dodgers up the road. It would be so us to follow a terrific season with relegation!
Which is of course what we did last time we had our best ever finish in the top flight (1982).
However, I am confident that won't happen this time.

Slight slippage to finishing 11th … 68F24F87-2243-4E4E-8163-59C33D73DA35.jpeg

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
having a punt on Leicester at 20/1. No signings, lot of outflow, BR's time is up and he will be last to admit it.

i cant see them relegated, but I do think that they are returning to their natural mid table position. I think they have vastly over achieved -a fluke title win and a steady decline since then- Im sure we would all be happy with the same mind you-

Its back to the usual top six clubs now-Leicesters chance to really make it a top seven is waning, and unless man utd continue to drift -which seams unlikely- the real drama will be at the bottom not the top

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Brentford
Fulham
Bournemouth

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The reality is that any one of the bottom 12/13 teams could hit a bad run and get into trouble. So the odds above are reasonable.

I expect two of the promoted teams to go straight back down - Bournemouth and Forest. Forest are throwing money at the squad - but their squad was very poor to begin with once the loan players were taken out. Worrell and Johnson are probably the only players who might be of PL standard - and apart from Henderson and Lingard, none of those signed appear up to scratch. Bournemouth have done nothing in terms of strengthening the squad and are probably behind Forest at this stage.

After that it gets interesting. - Fulham had a pretty decent squad in the Championship - and Palhinha and Pereira are decent signings. They probably need another couple of players but if Mitrovic scores some goals this time around then they can do just enough to survive.

Leeds are in trouble - they have lost their two best players and have not come close to replacing them. They were very lucky last season and if they start poorly I cannot see them recovering.

Southampton will be improved. Bazunu is an excellent signing - and will make a major difference. Lavia could do the same (don't know enough about him to be any more definitive). From what I have been hearing from the Irish U21s Will Smallbone has made a major leap in the past few months and I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing a more prominent role this season. I still think they need another couple of signings - but I think they will have enough to survive.

I think Everton are in major trouble. Lampard is a donkey and their squad is old, slow and they have lost their best player. The only thing that might save them is Lampard getting the sack very early on after a string of poor results.

Brentford will suffer second season comedown. The loss of Eriksen is big - but saying that they have bolstered the squad with the likes of Mee, Hickey (who I like as a player) and Lewis-Potter (who looks like he is ready to step up to the PL). I think they could have enough to survive.

I would argue that Wolves have too much in the tank to be in any real trouble. I think getting Collins will turn out to be one of the signings of the season.

Palace - hard to know what to make of them. I think Vieira is a good manager - but they need to replace Gallagher and then add some more quality (just to stand still). At the moment the 6/1 odds are waranted.

Villa - well I still don't rate Gerrard. I think he is more like Lampard than (say) Vieira. They have added a couple of pieces - but, at best, that just makes them stand still rather than move forward. They do have a big squad will should benefit them over the season.

Rodgers has a big rebuild job to do - and the CL money has been well spent. I think they are struggling to find players to replace the likes of Maddison and Tielemens who they would have to sell to fund the rebuild. I think Rodgers will have the year - but it doesn't look like the rebuild is anywhere near getting off the ground. I think a big problem for Leicester is the lack of players coming through the academy.

Where does Birghton stand in my view - well - I have said each year that you need to spend £50m just to stand still. The loss of White and Burn left a hole in defence that was partially filled by signing Curcuella. However, if Curcuella leaves for Man City (and there are rumours about Lamptey as well) then the defence will have some big holes. Duffy will not fill any gaps this season and that is why I was urging Brighton to go after Collins (who would have been a perfect fit for Potter's system). There is also a hole in midfield with Bissouma gone to Spurs. With little money being spent so far to improve the squad - I think Brighton are in bigger danger than most people on here believe. If I was a betting man (which I am not) the 12/1 would be worth a punt. There is an upside - even though he is only 17 - I think Ferguson could make a bit of an impact this season - and if he comes good, it might off-set some of the difficulties I see ahead.

So - after all that - my predictions for the three to drop -

Bournemouth
Forest
and
Everton (purely because Lampard is so poor) - just ahead of Leeds (but they are interchangable)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
tough to call this time. As mentioned any of a pool of 12 teams could go. Few injuries and any decent signings flop and bang in trouble. Important to get a good start.

Brentford
Leeds
Bourneouth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here