Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2021-22 EFL Trophy Walsall v Brighton and Hove Albion U21 Tuesday 14th Sept 7pm KO

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When i got my ticket via the Walsall ticket office i asked if it was potg the lady said possibly but not sure until tomorrow , so i just got my ticket over the phone then ticket sent instantly via a email
I think I'll give them a ring in that case, cheers.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
OK, just checked on those rules

- Academy teams must start at least six players aged 21 or under as at June

- Those teams can only include two players over the age of 21 who have made 40 or more senior appearances prior to 2019/20

Blimey, it's more complicated than I thought! It's not even the same as qualification for U21 teams - the six U21 players havr to be U2 on 30th. June, not 1st. January as is normal for the age bands. Theere seems to be no age limit on the other five players, so long as at least three of them have less than 40 senior appearances. Does 'senior appearances' just mean for the club, or do games out on loan count - ie any senior games, anywhere?

So - Sanchez and Bissouma* for our two experienced over age players, then. Lamptey, Roberts, Richards, Tsongui, Emmerson, Ferguson, Lamptry, Tolaj all qualify as U21 (on 30th.June) for starters - we're looking at a good team! - and I haven't even checked the ages of the likes of Leonard, Spong, Ella and co!

*Yes, I know we won't pick those - but we'll have to be careful with the likes of Alzate and Moder - over 21, and they've probably played over 40 senior matches

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I actually think we and some of the other PL teams should be doing better in this.

Not because I underestimate how hard it is for u23's to beat senior pro's but because most the opponents are much changed teams. A few fringe senior players and a few from their youth system.

Possibly our young players are instructed to use this for experience, their pathway is with foreign loans etc The lower league young and fringe players know, this is their pathway and their chance and play like it.

Given the rules, I really don't think so.

The likes of Portsmouth take this quite seriously and often play senior pro's, and whether Premier League or not, there is a massive difference physically between a full grown mature adult playing senior football and a youngster making his way who is not fully matured.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Glad to see there will be a fair few Seagulls in attendance. Is the away end open or do we have to slum it in with the Saddlers and pretend to be Brummies for the night?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
OK, I was about to make some sort of smart comment about how we'll play 15 year olds we've never heard of, but then checked and we did actually put out some decent looking line up's last year.

It didn't do us any favours as we lost most of our games, but maybe we will have a decent go of it.

Speak for yourself.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Glad to see there will be a fair few Seagulls in attendance. Is the away end open or do we have to slum it in with the Saddlers and pretend to be Brummies for the night?

Main stand QandR will be reserved for the away fans, can't see us needing more than R to be honest

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
It’s not even advertised on the Albion App which makes you wonder how seriously we are going to take it.
No interviews, team news etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Rude not to tick another ground off my ever expanding places to watch us play a competitive match,The Bescot (Banks) has probably been driven past and possibly seen by more English football fans than any other football stadium I'd imagine.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is there likely to be a stream available?

The club site says you can follow it via their text commentary so not provided by the club. Apparently you can watch it via Walsall Ifollow which I think is about a tenner

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
2 adult and 2 junior tickets for £12.

Bargain.

1 Adult + 1 Senior for £6
and no admin fee bo11ocks neither - ticket sent as PDF #sorted

Block R right in the corner but hey!

EDIT: I couldn't find a way of buying Away tickets on their eTicketing web-link so phoned the ticket office - very quick and very easy - Ooh-err!

As [MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10 would say - So excited!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder if we will take up the chance to play the 2 senior players.

On the one hand it makes sense to try to get game time for Locadia, Mwepu, Alzate. On the other hand we tend not to do this in the competition. GP and AC might reason that the Swansea match is a better chance to get fringe players up to fitness.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I hope Locadia has a run out. That would be very interesting as I think there must be a good player in there. Would he be made captain to sweeten him?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder if we will take up the chance to play the 2 senior players.

On the one hand it makes sense to try to get game time for Locadia, Mwepu, Alzate. On the other hand we tend not to do this in the competition. GP and AC might reason that the Swansea match is a better chance to get fringe players up to fitness.

Not Locadia - we don't need to get him game time as I don't think we'll use him unless in an absolute energency, and we don;t need him when we've got Tolaj, Emmerson and Ferguson raring to go! Alzate is a good shout though.

Is young Tariq needing a run out to get up to speed? A back four of Lamptey, Tsongui, Roberts and Furlong would be awesome (and that would be four out of the six U21s required too)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not Locadia - we don't need to get him game time as I don't think we'll use him unless in an absolute energency, and we don;t need him when we've got Tolaj, Emmerson and Ferguson raring to go! Alzate is a good shout though.

Is young Tariq needing a run out to get up to speed? A back four of Lamptey, Tsongui, Roberts and Furlong would be awesome (and that would be four out of the six U21s required too)

GP did mention the Swansea game for Tariq, but who knows.

Just with Locadia, the fact we've got him on the bench suggests to me he should be playing some football in case required. Maybe Swansea a better fit given the incredible form of the young forwards you mention. They shouldn't be dropped.

My instinct is that we'll go with no senior players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here