• Calling it for Biden

Votes: 180 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Same here, CNN, after flitting.

So much to know, in effect 50 countries with varying electoral rules eg some count the postal votes in the following days, some by the time the election stations close. Another nuance, rural votes reach state tallies later, giving Trump a late surge in Ohio, Georgia and North Carolina.

Just had a look around the internet to see what Fox News was saying and they have an interesting swingometer for states, plus the overall presidential, Senate and Congress races.

This is Trumps mouthpiece and their swingometer has Biden win (right now) at 91%

https://www.foxnews.com/elections/2020/general-results/probability-dials

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Im watching CNN, and its a tad confusing, as all states have different rules.....in a lot of the early numbers your not sure if that's in person today (more likely to favour Trump) or early votes (more likely to favour Biden)....... Its all gonna change.

Ohio looks the most promising, no Republican president has won without it in modern times, and Biden ahead 55-45 at about 55% counted, and they said thats a lot of in person with a lot of early votes still to come.

I like your Ohio and North Carolina. Listening to World Service and Guardian live count on phone.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...iden-who-won-presidential-republican-democrat

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not Watching CNN (because its bias garbage) but if you are watching, can someone confirm whether they have just recinded their Virginia call?

Not sure I heard them call it.

It just flashed up on their big map with Trump currently holding a decent lead. That they're showing it still means they've not called it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Trump the betting favourite now.

Bizarre. Miami Dade appears an outlier so far, pretty much everywhere else Biden is comfortably outperforming Clinton, particularly in the suburbs.

Feels very much like the 2018 House race so far.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really, wow! Genuinely don't get it

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may disagree, but that simply reflects betting sentiment, with a sheep effect and also as he pointed out people trading in and out. For example people with big money on Biden, now getting jittery, so taking a controlled loss and pulling out.

In the real non-betting world, it boils down to what happens in North Carolina, Ohio, Penn, Arizona, Michigan and Wisconsin over the next couple of days.

What do we actually know:
1. This won’t be a landslide for Biden decided in the first few hours.
2. Florida, with a unique demographic, stayed Republican.
3. The Democrats are doing surprisingly well in normally Republican counties across swing states, but it’s very early days.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Trump getting shorter and shorter on betfair, Biden drifting, what the hell are they basing that on? must be some complex algorithm not available to the TV pollsters?

Edit: just seen your explanation Weststander. Cheers

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
A large part of Democrat performances in Republican states is due to Democrat voters fleeing riots in states such as New York and California and taking their votes with them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may disagree, but that simply reflects betting sentiment, with a sheep effect and also as he pointed out people trading in and out. For example people with big money on Biden, now getting jittery, so taking a controlled loss and pulling out.

In the real non-betting world, it boils down to what happens in North Carolina, Ohio, Penn, Arizona, Michigan and Wisconsin over the next couple of days.

3. The Democrats are doing surprisingly well in normally Republican counties across swing states, but it’s very early days.

This is a sensible, clear-headed view of the situation.

A Biden landslide probably won’t happen, but a relatively comfortable Biden win is still absolutely on the cards, and the early signs are good. Except for Florida. As per.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Oh, I said something similar to this earlier - sentiment can be powerful with this. In many ways it's not betting but trading and people will get spooked and move out of a position if they think it's going against them, and that can keep things moving in one direction.

I absolutely agree that the odd movement does not match the sentiment I have from watching CNN. I think I've also posted that I feel like I'm missing out on a story somewhere, based on the shifting odds!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here