• Orca

Votes: 43 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Against my better judgement I'm going MAMBA.

I'm sorry, but the orca's cheeky SMILE just doesn't scare me.

Now you're starting to get the true meaning behind this tournament!

The BLACK Mamba just has more of an AURA about it.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Now you're starting to get the true meaning behind this tournament!

The BLACK Mamba just has more of an AURA about it.

The fact that its name alone induces anxiety and panic attacks means it has often won before the fight even starts - surely the epitome of hardness.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Surely a vote for Orca is also a vote for the Honey Badger because as a multi-winner the Orca would be retired from the competition leaving one less SUPERIOR beast for the HB to get past next year.

I've gone for Black Mamba myself, even its face says "d'ya want some?"

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If Mambas are so scared of confrontation why would cape buffalo and rhino get out of their way if they are between a mamba and where the snake wants to go? If their route is blocked, thats when they become aggressive and attack.

If they were always looking to avoid confrontation and slither away wouldn't they just give those animals a wide berth and go the long way around them ?

No, they get creatures several hundred times their body weight to move out of its way instead. - Surely thats hard

You might be best taking that up with world respected natural authority 'National Geographic'. At a guess I'd say it's not so much to do with the black mamba steaming into a herd of buffalo as it it is simple prudence on behalf of the buffalo.

Not quite true. All animals will avoid confrontation to some degree (except the HB but we'll leave that...) - the key is here that compared to other equivalent animals, i.e. other snakes, the Black Mamba is LESS likely to slither away and far MORE likely to attack. We haven't even started talking about their ACTIVELY aggressive behaviour (i.e. no provocation):

"Many snake experts have cited the black mamba as the world's most aggressive snake, being actively aggressive and attacking without provocation."

I am still undecided, and definitely not part of any black mamba brigade, just want to see the truth out there.

Your first paragraph just shows that they're more aggressive than other snakes. The issue is are they more aggressive than the orca who they are competing against. Otherwise I could claim to be a better footballer than messi on the proviso that I'm a better player than you.

You're going to have to reference me up for the quote. The national geographic is just about as reputable a source as you could wish for so until you provide me with something similar I'm going to have to go with the N.G and accept that the black mamba loves to run away.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I have voted Mamba, but like most snakes it will avoid confrontation where at all possible. It is when it is cornered that it becomes a bastard.

The Puff Adder, on the other hand, which I see was not even nominated, is one snake that does not get out of the way. More people are bitten by a Puff Adder than a Mamba every year because they step on them. The Puff does not need to get out of the way, because it is hard and deadly.

Next year, Puff should be IN without a doubt.

I think you're bang on there with the Puff Adder KZNS, that has a bigger attidude than old Mambo, and certainly accounts for a lot more human fatalities.
We found one under our trailor in Namibia whilst on Safari, took the guide a good half an hour (with a long shovel) to get the fat little sod to move away so that we could safely hitch the trailor back on to the Land Crusier!

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
"Killer whales have a complex relationship with other marine mammals. Killer whales have been observed feeding on fish while in the company of other dolphins, minke whales (Balaenoptera acutorostrata), and Dall's porpoises (Phocoenoides dalli). On another occasion, humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) joined a pod of killer whales that were attacking a Stellar sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus). At other times seals have been seen swimming with killer whales."

I can't imagine a black mamba socializing with the food it eats, it would just kill it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wow. The first ever snake champion.

(Yes, that's right, a snake, the things the Honey Badger eats for breakfast).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Amazing! The black mamba has come from nowhere to claim the crown. After four years of not qualifying or going out in the group stage it's gone all the way, knocking out two champions and a two times finalist in the process. Incredible, absolutely incredible.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Spectacular - there aren't many who would have given the Mamba a hope before the competition, and this has just shown how the WHC can be blown wide open. To come out of that THREEWAY on top to reach the final was brilliant.

A worthy winner - and the trophy returns to Africa

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Mamba wins!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a fixssssssssssss. Never has such an undeserving animal claimed a world championship since Hasim Rahman got a lucky KO on much bigger and ultimately superior lennox lewis.

The Great Pretender wins, based on a superb PR campaign that hid the true character of this cowardly runner and sold this false perception on a willing public.

On the upside: There is still hope for Nick Clegg at the next election, just hire the Mambas PR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here