• Orca

Votes: 43 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
After voting against the Mamba yesterday I did some research (well I wikipediad it) and it seems it is the only animal (other than us) to have a killed a fully grown elephant I'd like to see an orca do that! So I've gone Mamba

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The black mamba could be in trouble, BUT:

we've seen pics of orcas in sea worlds and honey badgers in petting zoos. For all you know, that middle aged woman is picking up a snake with it's venom removed or after the use of one of those clever snake handling sticks, not usually available to pretty much every other animal in the animal kingdom. And whilst the National Geographic is a bona fide source of credible information, there are several others that will claim the black mamba as an evil fucker (not to be confused with the equally venomous but more docile green mamba).

And being able to scatter an entire herd of water buffalo just because you're CROSS is genius.

I'm not saying the snake is the hardest, just don't RULE it out. Orca v Black Mamba. Colour me STILL UNDECIDED. What a final. WHAT a final.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You should take note of your disclaimer. The black mamba uses it's speed to run-or rather, slither-away. It tries to avoid confrontation and only ever attacks as a last resort.

Not quite true. All animals will avoid confrontation to some degree (except the HB but we'll leave that...) - the key is here that compared to other equivalent animals, i.e. other snakes, the Black Mamba is LESS likely to slither away and far MORE likely to attack. We haven't even started talking about their ACTIVELY aggressive behaviour (i.e. no provocation):

"Many snake experts have cited the black mamba as the world's most aggressive snake, being actively aggressive and attacking without provocation."

I am still undecided, and definitely not part of any black mamba brigade, just want to see the truth out there.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Mambas attack and kill lions!

[yt]93LgkoQmPxA&feature=relmfu[/yt]

[yt]JKyzoUpxcGA&feature=related[/yt]

YET MORE FAKES

oh please do watch these videos, before you get conned by the Mamba camp.

far from killing any Lions as the OP suggests....THEY DON'T, in first video the snake slithers past the lion, and in the second, old hard nut mamba bites a rotting lion thats already been dead for a week.

Anyone for some magic beans?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
After voting against the Mamba yesterday I did some research (well I wikipediad it) and it seems it is the only animal (other than us) to have a killed a fully grown elephant I'd like to see an orca do that! So I've gone Mamba

wikipeida HA the football rumours of factual information, written by anyone........ no doubt the mamba pretenders tried again to re-write the "runaway" truth. you can't beat National Geographic, its a bottler

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have been thinking about this as follows......

Does the Orca DOMINATE it's chosen environment? Yes it does, it roams two thirds of the earth and has no challengers in the sea - it even wades up beaches to have a go at land dwellers when it is in the mood.

Does the Black Mamba DOMINATE it's chosen environment? While undoubtably hard as nails and a fearless killer it can't be said to have no challengers so reluctantly it is the Orca for me, but what a blinder the snake has played. :bowdown:

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I have been thinking about this as follows......

Does the Orca DOMINATE it's chosen environment? Yes it does, it roams two thirds of the earth and has no challengers in the sea - it even wades up beaches to have a go at land dwellers when it is in the mood.

Does the Black Mamba DOMINATE it's chosen environment? While undoubtably hard as nails and a fearless killer it can't be said to have no challengers so reluctantly it is the Orca for me, but what a blinder the snake has played. :bowdown:

But the main reason the orca dominates its environment is due to its size not because its harder than the mamba. If you're going for pound for pound hardness, the mamba is harder.

Also have you seen the devastation "black mamba" causes in Kill Bill

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
But the main reason the orca dominates its environment is due to its size not because its harder than the mamba. If you're going for pound for pound hardness, the mamba is harder.

Also have you seen the devastation "black mamba" causes in Kill Bill

No, there are larger critters in the sea than the Orca, but the overall package of speed, size, intelligence, aggression and lots of sharp teeth are why it dominates the environment - btw quoting LITERALLY a piece of fiction isn't going to help the Mamba either......

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
It's not the dream final many people were hoping for, nor is it my own ideal Animal Bowl of Crocodile vs Cassowary, but at the same time it's an intriguing final and it's good to see that an outsider can challenge for the crown.

The Black Mamba has taken this competition by storm and seen off the heavyweights of Hippo and Crocodile on its way to the final, but I just can't see past the Orca.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Against my better judgement I'm going MAMBA.

I'm sorry, but the orca's cheeky SMILE just doesn't scare me.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Orca’s teeth don’t look particularly fearsome. They almost look like milk teeth. I’m sure they’re very sharp and everything, but they’re not as SCARY as the Mamba’s fangs...

25f8439f4d46d752657a6f799a99cd61.wix_mp

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
This is as tough as it gets: if the mamba had attacked the lion instead of sliding past there would have been no contest. But the orcas attack in pods! I shall take this one right into the voting booth, it's just too close to call. Bring back the HB from the dead....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It seemed a real toughie this one, so I had to do some extra research on them. What I've found out about the black mamba is this:

"Black mambas are shy and will almost always seek to escape when confronted."

"Black mambas use their incredible speed to escape threats, not to hunt prey."

It's only if they cannot escape confrontation that they will bite, and only then as a last resort. First they'll raise themselves off the ground, open their neck flap and hiss. If that doesn't work, then that is when they'll launch their lightning fast attack.

Have the black mamba brigade pulled a fast one on the WHC competition? Has some brazen selective presenting of the facts coupled with effective rubbishing of their opponents abilities been what's got them through? I am now not convinced by the black mamba's claims at all.

And here's a picture of it being handled by a middle aged woman.

c789b606145811b54861676f8fa83c1c528c1def.jpg

By the way, if you're wondering where I got my Black Mamba facts from, here's the link:

Black Mambas, Black Mamba Pictures, Black Mamba Facts - National Geographic

If Mambas are so scared of confrontation why would cape buffalo and rhino get out of their way if they are between a mamba and where the snake wants to go? If their route is blocked, thats when they become aggressive and attack.

If they were always looking to avoid confrontation and slither away wouldn't they just give those animals a wide berth and go the long way around them ?

No, they get creatures several hundred times their body weight to move out of its way instead. - Surely thats hard

If Mambas are so scared of confrontation why would cape buffalo and rhino get out of their way if they are between a mamba and where the snake wants to go? If their route is blocked, thats when they become aggressive and attack.

If they were always looking to avoid confrontation and slither away wouldn't they just give those animals a wide berth and go the long way around them ?

No, they get creatures several hundred times their body weight to move out of its way instead. - Surely thats hard

No it's not, that's a bit like avoiding the drunk Scottish tramp shouting obscenities because you just can't be arsed.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
YET MORE FAKES

oh please do watch these videos, before you get conned by the Mamba camp.

far from killing any Lions as the OP suggests....THEY DON'T, in first video the snake slithers past the lion, and in the second, old hard nut mamba bites a rotting lion thats already been dead for a week.

Anyone for some magic beans?

So a snake still struck and bit a lion twice in the 2nd video, even though it was dead.
Was the lion posing a threat to the snake? - No, yet the snake still attacked it when it could have simply avoided it.
Mambas are not afraid to take on lions (as that shows and it just happened to be dead already in this case but they usually arn't) and have been responsible for many lion deaths

The first video shows that its not afraid of a big game predator and doesn't feel threatened by it and just goes on about its normal business. (doesn't sound that scared of things as some are claiming) and as the video says, if the lion is in between where the snake is and wants to go when the snake returns, the snake will attack the lion to get its way.

Or are you suggesting the imageas have been created in a computer?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So a snake still struck and bit a lion twice in the 2nd video, even though it was dead.
Was the lion posing a threat to the snake? - No, yet the snake still attacked it when it could have simply avoided it.
Mambas are not afraid to take on lions (as that shows and it just happened to be dead already in this case but they usually arn't) and have been responsible for many lion deaths

The first video shows that its not afraid of a big game predator and doesn't feel threatened by it and just goes on about its normal business. (doesn't sound that scared of things as some are claiming) and as the video says, if the lion is in between where the snake is and wants to go when the snake returns, the snake will attack the lion to get its way.

Or are you suggesting the imageas have been created in a computer?

The Journo can say what he wants to sex up his dull documentary, National Geographic is respected the world over and clearly states the Mamba will leg it rather than confront.... Even Angela Merkel has picked it up.

As for biting a dead and rotting lion, deary me, I could kick the living shit out of a dead Mike Tyson.... does that make me hard.

Its only because its dead it has a little "look at me" pop. If the Lion had of moved, old billy bottle would have slithered off pronto.

I wonder if the famed "Snake Oil" sellers of old were selling actually selling Mamba juice.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have voted Mamba, but like most snakes it will avoid confrontation where at all possible. It is when it is cornered that it becomes a bastard.

The Puff Adder, on the other hand, which I see was not even nominated, is one snake that does not get out of the way. More people are bitten by a Puff Adder than a Mamba every year because they step on them. The Puff does not need to get out of the way, because it is hard and deadly.

Next year, Puff should be IN without a doubt.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No, there are larger critters in the sea than the Orca, but the overall package of speed, size, intelligence, aggression and lots of sharp teeth are why it dominates the environment - btw quoting LITERALLY a piece of fiction isn't going to help the Mamba either......
Which predators in the sea are bigger than the orca?
Or, more pertinently, bigger than 10 orcas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here