Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2012 Olympics.Will you attend?

Seeing as we have the gymnastics, shooting and equestrian being held in our fair borough, it would be rude not to. Like a previous poster, it would be a fair gesture if locals got a bit of a discount on the tickets, seeing as we will have put up with all the hassle for it.

Would be nice to see where my extra council tax has been going as well:angry:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll be involved through work, myself, so yes.

The Olympics is an incredble experience. Everybody should try to get along to something. You'd be daft not too.

The Complete Badger is trying a little too hard to stir up a row on this thread. If you don't like athletics [if you've seen people like Gebresailasse or Bolt live, you'd never question it as a sport - Oh, and amateur? :jester:] try something else.

If you are SO set in your football mindset that you can only appreciate team sports, then go to the basketball. Or waterpolo. Or handball [quality]. Or Netball. Or Volleyball. Or beach volleyball. Or even the FOOTBALL if you must.

I've worked at high-level sporting events for the last 15 years, and EVERY one of them, is thrilling and a privelage to experience, when carried out at the highest level.

Except dressage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Complete Badger is trying a little too hard to stir up a row on this thread.
Correct. It's a bit sad really. Stating that running 10 miles is not a sport is so utterly stupid that the only logical conclusion to draw is that he's one of these ME ME ME monkeys who simply HAS to say something outlandish in order to satisfy some bizarre requirement to get noticed.

I've worked at high-level sporting events for the last 15 years, and EVERY one of them, is thrilling and a privelage to experience, when carried out at the highest level.

Except dressage.
I'd love to understand the skill behind dressage. Like shooting or sailing, it's obviously a real niche in terms of watchability. However, whereas I can easily understand the concentration and skill required for those two sports, I simply don't get it in dressage.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Erm, in amongst all the attention-seeking from the usual nobbers, does anyone have an inkling of what the ticket application procedure is likely to be? I suspect they might do a Fifa-style take the money up front years in advance and earn interest on it which I'd be WELL up for.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You idiot. Just because I think the Olympics, and all the joke events like HANDBALL and TABLE TENNIS, is a pile of turd doesn't mean I'm saying "something outlandish" to "get noticed." We're allowed different opinions you know, and mine is it's WANK.
I'm not taking issue with your opinion that the Olympics is WANK. As you say, everyone is entitled to an opinon. Actually, I'm taking issue with your CRETINOUS synopsis that running isn't a sport, when it blatently is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm think I'm going to target the handball. Should be able to get tickets to the Semi Final or Final relatively easily, and it looks well exciting.
Handball looks like a quality game and there was noise regarding Britain assembling a crack team. Sadly I think it's fallen foul of credit crunch cutbacks. :(

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just don't expect Simster to support the Paralympics - we all know he is a dysmorphophobe. :angry:
What are you talking about? I actually went to the Paralympics in Sydney!

Ah I remember now - I did think the coverage of the Paralympics from 2008 was OTT, yes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not though. Running is just a basic skill everyone has. From the age of two or three EVERYONE can run. Why would you want to watch someone do this? If I got a group of people together for a massive WALK, you wouldn't say it was sporting competition, so why should running be any different?
Some sports simply aren't good spectator sports, but that's not what you're saying. You're saying running isn't a sport, which to me sounds like attention seeking drivel.

Running is sport almost in it's purest form - it requires athleticism, fitness, tactics (for all but the quickest of sprints), and dealing with pressure.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It's not though. Running is just a basic skill everyone has. From the age of two or three EVERYONE can run. Why would you want to watch someone do this? If I got a group of people together for a massive WALK, you wouldn't say it was sporting competition, so why should running be any different?

But on that basis then the most skilful activity would be something that has the highest degree of skill. Competitive brain surgery anyone?

And the 50k WALK is an Olympic event.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
why is everyone kidding themselves that they actually want to watch this shit just because it's in a nice big over-expensive stadium in London instead of Preston Park?

I want to watch it for the same reason I tune in to international football and test match cricket, yet don't watch the local pub teams.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Eryone can kick a football to some degree as much as everyone can run to some degree. Skill and natural ability make you into a professional.

Not rocket science is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here