Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] £200 parking fine for watching football in a pub

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was there a machine to enter your car reg when you went in? The Sportsman at Withdean has.
Maybe ring the pub to explain, and see if they’ll cancel the ticket as you were a customer?
So you have to pay to use the car park at Withdean now then? That must be a faitly recent thing. A friend and l parked there when we went to watch Horsham YMCA play Varndeanian's last season, and of course it was always free back in the day when it was ostensibly a Park & Ride site for Brighton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So you have to pay to use the car park at Withdean now then? That must be a faitly recent thing. A friend and l parked there when we went to watch Horsham YMCA play Varndeanian's last season, and of course it was always free back in the day when it was ostensibly a Park & Ride site for Brighton.
Yes, after three hours or you’re going into the gym or Sportsman.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It makes no sense to charge for parking in that car park when there's so much free street parking in the area. Unless of course, and call me a cynic if you wish, the council are waiting for complaints from the locals of so many parking in their street and so the Council respond "Ah, we have the perfect solution for that ...... PARKING PERMITS."

They wouldn't do that, would they ? ???

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If it’s a private parking firm, just ignore it. Nothing they can do.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It makes no sense to charge for parking in that car park when there's so much free street parking in the area. Unless of course, and call me a cynic if you wish, the council are waiting for complaints from the locals of so many parking in their street and so the Council respond "Ah, we have the perfect solution for that ...... PARKING PERMITS."

They wouldn't do that, would they ? ???
It also stops people parking there indefinitely, eg if car sharing for the drive to Gatwick for a two week holiday, or God forbid, if our traveller friends decided to stay there. The car park would gradually fill up and I presume the Council could take no action even if the vehicles weren’t taxed, etc.

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
IMG_2363.jpeg

I was walking past today, it looks like no charges just you need to register at the bar like others have said.

I’m sure they’ll help cancel it if you speak to them.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Please don't mislead people, even if you were misled yourself by that rubbish from people on Facebook.

Over a third of all small claims every year (close to half a million p.a. now) are by parking firms using bulk 'roboclaim' litigators who are a huge part of the problem the MHCLG is trying to curb.

Close to 90% go undefended, often because the bulk litigators can't be arsed to carry out a (mandatory) 28 pence address trace and are perfectly content to ruin people's credit rating for six years.

I help victims defend meritless court claims and to successfully apply to set aside CCJs every day/week on MSE parking forum.

Please don't spread the myth that parking firms can't do anything. The courts bend over backwards to help these bulk litigators and they don't even need a Judge or a hearing in cases where people get scared and pay and where they get CCJs.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Please don't mislead people, even if you were misled yourself by that rubbish from clueless people on Facebook.

Over a third of all small claims every year (close to half a million p.a. now) are by parking firms using bulk 'roboclaim' litigators who are a huge part of the problem the MHCLG is trying to curb.

Close to 90% go undefended, often because the bulk litigators can't be arsed to carry out a (mandatory) 28 pence address trace and are perfectly content to ruin people's credit rating for six years.

I help victims defend meritless court claims and to successfully apply to set aside CCJs every day/week on MSE parking forum.

Please don't spread the myth that parking firms can't do anything. The courts bend over backwards to help these bulk litigators and they don't even need a Judge or a hearing in cases where people get scared and pay and where they get CCJs.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Please don't mislead people, even if you were misled yourself by that rubbish from clueless people on Facebook.

I guess if you are in exile then you don't know that it hasn't been (necessarily) safe to ignore many PPCs for over a decade.

Please don't spread the myth that parking firms can't do anything. The courts bend over backwards to help these bulk litigators and they don't even need a Judge or a hearing in cases where people get scared and pay and where they get CCJs to force people to pay.

"It also stops people parking there indefinitely, eg if car sharing for the drive to Gatwick for a two week holiday, or God forbid, if our traveller friends decided to stay there."

No - a common misconception.

It doesn't work like that in a car park that is operated solely by ANPR. None of the above could ever get a postal PCN because the system reads numberplate entries/exits only across a 24 hour period. Stay longer (e.g. leave the car there for days or weeks) or accidentally leave a bag sticking out of your boot covering the numberplate and such people will never receive a PCN.

It's the patrons who will get PCNs, due to hidden keypads and non-prominent signs to alert them.

And the sad thing is plenty of idiots just pay, thinking it's a fine and never knowing that pubs & hotels (landowners) can cancel the PCN.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
"It also stops people parking there indefinitely, eg if car sharing for the drive to Gatwick for a two week holiday, or God forbid, if our traveller friends decided to stay there."

No - a common misconception.

It doesn't work like that in a car park that is operated solely by ANPR. None of the above could ever get a postal PCN because the numberplate reads entries/exits across a 24 hour period. Stay longer or accidentally leave a bag sticking out of your boot covering the numberplate and such people will never receive a PCN.

It's the patrons who will get PCNs, due to hidden keypads and non-prominent signs to alert them.

And the sad thing is plenty of idiots just pay, thinking it's a fine and never knowing that pubs & hotels (landowners) can cancel the PCN.
Firstly, thanks for all your good and helpful advice.

My comment (above) was in response to someone who suggested that the Withdean car park should be made free parking to avoid congestion in the streets., and the potential introduction of permits.
Surely correct signage offers some protection against cars being left there indefinitely, rather than as they can be left in the street (I appreciate this is probably a completely different issue)

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Yes I am with you on that.

Pubs just need some clear signs and don't need some random money-grabbing ANPR firm attacking their customers with £100 PCNs then £170 threatograms.

In fact the pub might regret it:

That's not an isolated case.

Another example (a similar keypad hidden system) a doctor at a GP practice ended up emotionally apologising and pleading with their patients not to blame them for getting into bed with an ANPR firm who proceeded to sue their elderly and vulnerable patients and refused to cancel PCNs.

The GP practice had to engage lawyers because like complete numpties they had signed up with the ex-clamper thugs for two years and signed an agreement written entirely by the parking firm:

These systems work against the interests of the landowners and their patrons.

P.S. apologies for the duplicate posts last night! The forum or my phone wasn't showing the post at first.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As far as Withdean is concerned it is just another attempt for council to make money. First 3 hours free helps very few. Certainly not people going to football or those wanting to go into Brighton for shopping theatre etc. If they just wanted to stop overnight parking etc would have been easy to make say first 6 hours free. Apart from visitors to pub and gym car park is little used now and people are parking in nearby roads where I am sure locals will soon complain and will become another area where they sell permits. I can see in future all those who get on Seagull travel buses in Brighton will have nowhere to park.
Looking ahead cynically I can see Brighton Council saying little demand for Withdean car Park so they will sell part for residential development

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
These parking firms are parasitic scum.

you're better off parking on the street . . . The police won't do anything, worst case a local council TW will give you a tiket . . . Which will be comparable to an NCP dry humping for 4 hours.

this obviously varies quite wildly depending if you live somewhere sensible or alternatively say, Brighton!

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Wait...

...are you all telling me that BHCC has put One Parking Solution into a Council owned (non-housing) car park?

These signs look like OPS signs. Yet the main entrance sign says it's provided by BHCC.

Are PCNs being issued by ANPR or on windscreens?

Can anyone show me one of those PCNs issued here please?

IMG_6712.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here