Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] £200 parking fine for watching football in a pub

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t follow? He was a customer of the pub which he said. Doesn’t mean he can’t get off the fine with help does it? Can take it up with the parking company or POPLA - loads of options to try yet. Don’t pay it.
Yes, he can prove he bought something in the pub that day, so the pub will cancel it. It isn’t good for their business if word gets around that they won’t help.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For years Sportsman car park was free and many used it to get Seagull Travel bus. Now charge after 3 hours and several have got tickets parking for football. Now often nearly empty and people are parking on streets.
I used to park there myself when I went to away games.

We were there recently to remember a friend from the Withdean days, who has passed on, so were advised to register our registration in the pub as soon as we entered.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you have to register your number plate when you arrive at The Top House. That way they know you are a customer not a cheeky commuter. I'm sure they will get it cancelled if you speak to them - they are relatively new owners trying to turn the place around.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Niece confirms best way to get it cancelled is to pop in to the pub with the letter with some blue reference on the front, they will get it cancelled.
...which is exactly what I'd have advised.

ALWAYS complain to the. landowner or retailer before trying any appeal. Very happy to see so much good advice all saying the same thing. Great stuff.

No BHA fan should ever be thinking they must pay a scam private parking charge, especially not while this rogue industry remains unregulated (sigh...new Government...more delays now. I'm doing my best and we will get there).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
For years Sportsman car park was free and many used it to get Seagull Travel bus. Now charge after 3 hours and several have got tickets parking for football. Now often nearly empty and people are parking on streets.
I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I think the title of this thread is a bit misleading, what does it have to do with watching football? You could have been eating a meal. I think "parked in a private car park for about 3 hours, didn't see the sign so didn't pay parking fee, got fined" is more accurate, am I missing something?
It seems it's all worked out, which is good.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the title of this thread is a bit misleading, what does it have to do with watching football? You could have been eating a meal. I think "parked in a private car park for about 3 hours, didn't see the sign so didn't pay parking fee, got fined" is more accurate, am I missing something?
You are. Using the pub makes him a patron, so he didn’t need to pay a parking fee.
The only mistake made was not realising he needed to tell the pub his registration number.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I went for a more dramatic thread title rather than a fully descriptive thread title (which could have been a bit wordier)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
You are. Using the pub makes him a patron, so he didn’t need to pay a parking fee.
The only mistake made was not realising he needed to tell the pub his registration number.
I'm not as the pub had no record of him being a patron. The pub had every right to issue a fine. It's good that they will reverse it. I'm guessing this is in place to stop commuters parking there all day. Which if you owned the pub or used the pub would be pretty annoying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not as the pub had no record of him being a patron. The pub had every right to issue a fine. It's good that they will reverse it. I'm guessing this is in place to stop commuters parking there all day. Which if you owned the pub or used the pub would be pretty annoying.
The pub isn’t issuing the invoice. It’s not a fine, as only the police or a local council who can issue fines.
It is an invoice for parking by the private parking company who own the land. The pub will give the PPC a list of those who entered their registration, which the OP omitted to do.
By going back to the pub to prove he was a patron on that day, the pub tells the PPP to cancel the invoice.

Private Parking Companies are a scam, with small notices, and hidden cameras.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
The pub isn’t issuing the invoice. It’s not a fine, as only the police or a local council who can issue fines.
It is an invoice for parking by the private parking company who own the land. The pub will give the PPC a list of those who entered their registration, which the OP omitted to do.
By going back to the pub to prove he was a patron on that day, the pub tells the PPP to cancel the invoice.

Private Parking Companies are a scam, with small notices, and hidden cameras.
You're being pedantic. It's private land, they can do what they like. The fact they will cancel it so easily tells you that they know they can't enforce it if challenged.

They are not a scam, they are not breaking any laws.

Are they underhand? Yes I think they are. Pay this fee now for less, if you don't we'll take you to court for more. Well OK then, will they take you to court, probably not. They are relying on most people paying the lesser fee. Not illegal, unfortunately.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
...which is exactly what I'd have advised.

ALWAYS complain to the. landowner or retailer before trying any appeal. Very happy to see so much good advice all saying the same thing. Great stuff.

No BHA fan should ever be thinking they must pay a scam private parking charge, especially not while this rogue industry remains unregulated (sigh...new Government...more delays now. I'm doing my best and we will get there).
You're being pedantic. It's private land, they can do what they like. The fact they will cancel it so easily tells you that they know they can't enforce it if challenged.

They are not a scam, they are not breaking any laws.

Are they underhand? Yes I think they are. Pay this fee now for less, if you don't we'll take you to court for more. Well OK then, will they take you to court, probably not. They are relying on most people paying the lesser fee. Not illegal, unfortunately.
I quote the expert @LadySeagull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here