Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 year old told to remove England shirt

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhanutz said:
are you for real? If that is the case and for one minute I dont believe it is, it is impossible to impose. Prove i wouldnt let him in because of the colour of his shirt! No Chance!

No, its entirely possible to enforce.

You're not allowed go cherry picking who you enforce a rule on. You don't see "no smoking except if you're wearing a cravat" or "no entry for females the barman doesn't want to shag" signs. Similarly, letting some football shirt wearers in and not others is not legal.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
MYOB said:
No, its entirely possible to enforce.

You're not allowed go cherry picking who you enforce a rule on. You don't see "no smoking except if you're wearing a cravat" or "no entry for females the barman doesn't want to shag" signs. Similarly, letting some football shirt wearers in and not others is not legal.

my point is how the hell do you prove it?

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
When it was locally decided that the term "Merry Christmas" could not be used by city officials because all residents were not Christians many religious groups said it was outrageous and that they were not trying to change Canada and the term was not offensive.

I suspect that people of other nationalities would also say it is outrageous to not be able to wear an England strip in England.

So what happens on a game day? Do they kick out the England supporters then if they have the strip on? What if England make the final, do the pubs plan on enforcing this rule. Nothing can possibly make me see any sense in this.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhanutz said:
my point is how the hell do you prove it?

Quite simply. You're turned away, and your mate who's already inside sees someone in whatever you've been turned away for wearing, and you phone the cops.

Has worked in a large number of cases, although usually the doormonkey relents.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I guess if you are Weatherspoons you can get away with setting a dress code as people will generally abide by it if they want to drink the cheapest alcohol in town. It is a bit unfortunate that they appear to have picked on a 2 year old when the reality is that it is the parents fault as they probably dressed the little blighter and how could he be expected to know the rules.

Some pubs have dress codes for a variety of reasons, I went with a mate to a pub just outside Edinburgh to watch an England game during Euro 2000, the landlord initially refused to serve us on the grounds that we were wearing football strips and it was against the dress code he had set for the pub. It was politely pointed out that I was wearing a rugby top that happened to be red and white and my mate was wearing an England rugby top, neither of them anything to do with footy, he then changed his mind and backed down. It turned out that he had had trouble in the past between fans of opposing teams as "away" fans from Glasgow had used it as a watering hole on the way to games versus Hearts and the pub was in fervent Jambo territory.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
History has usually shown that the landlord doesn't get believed. Particularly as he'll have to find that "other reason" and justify it if it goes to court.

Its usually pubs with door security that do it anyway, and when was the last time a court saw a bouncer as trustworthy? "Honest guvnor, I didn't smack him one! the CCTV images lie!", ec

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
MYOB said:
History has usually shown that the landlord doesn't get believed. Particularly as he'll have to find that "other reason" and justify it if it goes to court.

Its usually pubs with door security that do it anyway, and when was the last time a court saw a bouncer as trustworthy? "Honest guvnor, I didn't smack him one! the CCTV images lie!", ec

The landlord doesnt have to justify it if he thinks you are pissed. Just like the old bill dont! If they say you are pissed then you are pissed in the eyes of the law!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Got told I could not watch the rugby in a sportsbar once because I was wearing an England rugby top! He said I could go in if i put a coat on to cover it up so I did, then when I was inside I took my coat off and carried on as usual :jester:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That has to go down as the most stupid rule of this thread, if you can't wear "clean" sports clothing in a bar dedicated to sport where can you wear it?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhanutz said:
The landlord doesnt have to justify it if he thinks you are pissed. Just like the old bill dont! If they say you are pissed then you are pissed in the eyes of the law!

Theres a difference between the police and equality legislation, namely that he'd have to say WHY he thought you were pissed.

Which is bloody difficult.

Anyway, can't you just accept that you're not allowed go f***ing around with a dress code one you've set one? If a pub like Wetherspoons -wants- to exclude a large proportion of society, so be it. They're nasty shitholes anyway.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
MYOB said:
Theres a difference between the police and equality legislation, namely that he'd have to say WHY he thought you were pissed.

Which is bloody difficult.

Anyway, can't you just accept that you're not allowed go f***ing around with a dress code one you've set one? If a pub like Wetherspoons -wants- to exclude a large proportion of society, so be it. They're nasty shitholes anyway.

Cant you change it then?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grendel said:
Yes it is. You have no legal right in this country to be on licensed premises.

This is a situation where equality legislation overrules the right to admission due to someone claiming to have a dress code

If they said "sorry, you're not coming in", thats fine, but if they claim its due to football shirts, trainers, whatever, it has to be enforced across the board.

Thank you, Europe. :rolleyes:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
MYOB said:
You can change it, but not on the fly - you're not allowed change it in the middle of a day, for instance.

So if you didnt like a bloke that was weraing a red shirt, you couldnt decide to say NO red shirts and chuck everyone out who is wearing a red shirt?

That's no fun!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
That might be allowed actually... but you couldn't claim no red shirts and leave people in in red shirts

As Grendal has said though, you could just refuse to let them in with no reason at all. And thats legal.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I read that Wetherspoons have rolled plasma screens out across the group specifically to screen the world cup will they enforce the ban while showing games!!!!!????

On the last day of the season against Stoke I was told by the Sportsman bouncers I had to take my Albion cap off or leave the pub. I thought bloody stupid given the amount of takings that the Sportsman gets from Albion fans, but it's their pub, they make the rules and we all have to comply or take our bisiness elsewhere, that's the end of it.

As for this baby story, I wouldn't trust the press to report ANY "England shirt banned" story accurately in the current climate, many are out to whip up their easily angered "PC gone mad" readers.

Last edited:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Are you surprised LI, a gentleman never wears a hat indoors, they probably thought that you were some greasy little chav thug and deemed that sufficient grounds to eject you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here