Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 year old told to remove England shirt

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
BarrelofFun said:
I was asked to turn my Brighton shirt inside out, when I went to a little pub inside Victoria station. It is no big deal. I don't know why people get upset about this sort of thing.

Some pubs have rules that strips are not allowed to be worn, and if you make an exception for one person.....

The same Wetherspoons in Victoria that ID'd me for a coke:angry:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
MYOB said:
Surely you tend to get groups of men drinking in a pub, otherwise they usually go out of business?

:lolol:
You know what I mean. The idea of groups of young men in football shirts, singing songs and swilling beer. I don't agree with the stereotype, but the rules have been set and this chap is just following the rules.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhanutz said:
what do you think he would do if a group of 10 lads turned up in England shirts?

Probably f*** all! Wankers!!

Depends. Many pubs won't let a group of ten in at once in the first place, but if they were in at seperate times, took their jackets off with the England shirts on underneath, and were buying, I'd guess f*** all.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with BoF. Wetherspoon's has rules and it's your choice whether you go to the pubs or not. If you disagree, then don't go; I don't see the problem.

BarrelofFun said:
One that springs to mind, is when my parents recorded over my sky diving video with some crappy German Opera.

How angry did you get? Was it off the scale. Did you tut very loudly and then shake your head slowly whilst letting out a loud sigh of obvious annoyance? (And then of course apologise for not labelling your videos clearly enough).

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Ermm, I'm waiting for someone to post 'windup' or something like that. Surely this can't be serious. If you were down at the Druid's Head and some Palace fan had a 2 year old wearing a Palace shirt surely most of you could see your way not to kick anything off? So surely to God wearing an England strip in England is okay regardless of age.

This story has depressed me, hell when I was in Orlando last year every Uk club team shirt was represented and everyone was having a great time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lokki 7 said:
How angry did you get? Was it off the scale. Did you tut very loudly and then shake your head slowly whilst letting out a loud sigh of obvious annoyance? (And then of course apologise for not labelling your videos clearly enough).

:lolol: You make me sound boring. :blush:

I have a temper alright. Just difficult to explain when I have been angry. I am a pacifist sort of person and have broken up fights rather than started any. Just the way I am I guess.

I did deck a hove park school chap on the rugby field, after he kept kicking me in the shin, in the scrum. I made him bleed.

:cool:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
driddles said:
Ermm, I'm waiting for someone to post 'windup' or something like that. Surely this can't be serious. If you were down at the Druid's Head and some Palace fan had a 2 year old wearing a Palace shirt surely most of you could see your way not to kick anything off? So surely to God wearing an England strip in England is okay regardless of age.

You're missing the point. it's not whether anything's going to kick off or not, but that the pub has rules. As MYOB says, if you make an exception for someone, you'd have to let everyone off.

It's like that middle-aged woman who was kicked out of a pub for wearing Burberry: ludicrous perhaps, but the pub was following rules.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Gwylan said:
You're missing the point. it's not whether anything's going to kick off or not, but that the pub has rules. As MYOB says, if you make an exception for someone, you'd have to let everyone off.

It's like that middle-aged woman who was kicked out of a pub for wearing Burberry: ludicrous perhaps, but the pub was following rules.

your missing the point! Its a f***ing Public House, therefore the public can go in wearing what the f*** they like! It's a 2 yr old child!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhanutz said:
your missing the point! Its a f***ing Public House, therefore the public can go in wearing what the f*** they like! It's a 2 yr old child!

Pubs are allowed have dress codes

They're legally OBLIDGED to enforce these if they have them.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Gwylan said:

But there are times when you should just use a bit of common sense. There's no way this manager is going to lose his job by turning a blind eye to a toddler in an England shirt. And I think there's more chance of it sparking off trouble by asking the family to leave because if i'd been there I would have got up and walked out in disgust.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
MYOB said:
Pubs are allowed have dress codes

They're legally OBLIDGED to enforce these if they have them.

I think you will find they are not LEGALLY obliged! I am sure there is nothing Legal about it!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Gwylan said:
I agree with BoF. Wetherspoon's has rules and it's your choice whether you go to the pubs or not. If you disagree, then don't go; I don't see the problem.

The thing is though that it's not so much about being able to make a choice it's about someone making a judgement about you and what you can do based on the clothes you are wearing.
Basically what they are saying is that you could be a mild-mannered person with your family but if you are wearing a footy shirt then they don’t want you. However, you could have 6 violent loudmouthed thugs but as long as they’re not wearing footy shirts then come on in.
What kind of f***ed up logic is that?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhanutz said:
I think you will find they are not LEGALLY obliged! I am sure there is nothing Legal about it!

Equality legislation. Can't exclude one person under a dress code and not another when both are in violation, or you get fined an awful, awful lot of money.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhanutz said:
your missing the point! Its a f***ing Public House, therefore the public can go in wearing what the f*** they like!

Completely not true. A landlord can ban who he likes and doesn't have to give a reason. He could arbitarily ban someone for wearing a pink shirt for example.

You've clearly not been in many pubs but large numbers of them have rules: some say no work boots/dirty clothes, some say people have to be smartly-dressed (there's one in London that says no suits and ties),some say no jeans/trainers and some say no football shirts.

If you see such a sign and you're not dressed appropriately, then you don't go in.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rangdo said:
The thing is though that it's not so much about being able to make a choice it's about someone making a judgement about you and what you can do based on the clothes you are wearing.
Basically what they are saying is that you could be a mild-mannered person with your family but if you are wearing a footy shirt then they don’t want you. However, you could have 6 violent loudmouthed thugs but as long as they’re not wearing footy shirts then come on in.

It is logical , but doesn't necessarily mean it is wholly correct. They are using the football supporter stereotype, but they can refuse entry to the 6 thugs as well for other reasons.

I am not saying it is right, but they are the pub rules and the manager should not be made a scapegoat.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rangdo said:

I totally agree. I think it's a strange rule and not one I particularly hold with.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
MYOB said:
Equality legislation. Can't exclude one person under a dress code and not another when both are in violation, or you get fined an awful, awful lot of money.

are you for real? If that is the case and for one minute I dont believe it is, it is impossible to impose. Prove i wouldnt let him in because of the colour of his shirt! No Chance!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
ExmouthExile said:
But there are times when you should just use a bit of common sense. There's no way this manager is going to lose his job by turning a blind eye to a toddler in an England shirt. And I think there's more chance of it sparking off trouble by asking the family to leave because if i'd been there I would have got up and walked out in disgust.

Exactly, it's the jobsworth attitude that you get when someone lets the little bit of authority they have get to their head.

Don't get me started on golf club bar staff for that sort of thing :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here