Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 year deal for Turienzo.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Turienzo set to sign today and maybe Ashby?

Seagulls strike a deal
by Andy Naylor

Albion have boosted their strike force by sealing the capture of Federico Turienzo.

The tall Argentinian target man signs a two-year contract today, with the option of a further two years.

He could, subject to international clearance, have a run-out in a friendly at Hastings tonight and go straight into the squad for Saturday's opening Championship fixture at Derby.

Manager Mark McGhee revealed: "Everything is done. He will sign all the documentation today. We have already applied for international clearance and if we get that he will be involved."

Turienzo watched Saturday's closing 2-1 friendly victory at Bournemouth. His only appearance for the Seagulls so far was at Lewes last month.

McGhee said: "That is going to be a problem for him but we are putting him through the physical side. On Saturday he did another set of the sort of training we did weeks ago with the boys.

"He did 800s and 400s and all his times were right up there, so he has shown a very good level of fitness which has pleased and surprised us a bit. We didn't think he would be as far ahead as he is.

"We will look at him this week and see if he is up to playing against Derby or be someone that comes off the bench at this stage."

McGhee likes look of ex-Gill
by Andy Naylor

Former Gillingham centre half Barry Ashby could be the next player to sign for Albion.

Ashby played the full 90 minutes against Bournemouth on Saturday and boss Mark McGhee says the 34-year-old is definitely an option.

McGhee said: "I thought he was excellent. He's a very experienced player, which helped, and our boys are very good at integrating people quickly."

Ashby said: "At the moment I am out of contract and trying to find a new home. It's up to the gaffer. If he likes me then maybe something will happen.

"That was my first game of pre-season, so I was quite happy to get through 90 minutes.

"I came in on Friday to train. I know a few of the lads anyway, so that is always a good start. They are a brilliant bunch and have made me feel very welcome.

"At the moment I am out of contract. I had a couple of offers but mainly because of my family situation I didn't want to move. They just weren't right for me.

"I've just been waiting by the phone, like a lot of other pros."

Leon Knight sat out the Bournemouth match, won by Albion with second-half goals from Charlie Oatway and Dean Hammond, because of a sore knee but he will be fit for the trip to Pride Park next Saturday.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Bit risky to give him 2 years when MM himself said, " we don't know how good he is ." Let's hope he's not another Molango..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sneaky George said:
Bit risky to give him 2 years when MM himself said, " we don't know how good he is ." Let's hope he's not another Molango..

In Saturday's Sports Arsegas he said "The boy's on modest wages" or something like that. I don't think MM would risk a lot of the huge playing fund we have on an unknown.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sneaky George said:
Turienzo

He could, subject to international clearance, have a run-out in a friendly at Hastings tonight

Cool

Anybody got any news about the rest of the team for tonight, is it likely to be the reserves which Debry only 5 days away.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
A 2 year deal is exactly what is required. If we only gave him 1 and he is a success then he could walk away next season for a better offer.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good for us as I think he will feel at home playing in his national kit.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Sneaky George said:

I think the way to read that sentence is ... "we know he IS good, we just don't know HOW good" .... i.e. he could be an average Championship striker; a top class Championship striker, or a potential Premiership striker.

Let's just say that a lot of people are getting rather excited over his potential --- HOWEVER, other than the Lewes 45mins, he has not palyed a competitive match for 4 months so we may need to give him a month or so to acclimatise.

He has also never played English football before. Maheta took time to adjust to the physical nature of the game in this country, compared to Germany and Spain .... I'm not an expert on Argentinian doemstic football, but by their reputation, that is probably pretty physical so hopefully he will be used to getting stuck in

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Robert Lester Zamora said:
I think the way to read that sentence is ... "we know he IS good, we just don't know HOW good" .... i.e. he could be an average Championship striker; a top class Championship striker, or a potential Premiership striker.

Let's just say that a lot of people are getting rather excited over his potential --- HOWEVER, other than the Lewes 45mins, he has not palyed a competitive match for 4 months so we may need to give him a month or so to acclimatise.

He has also never played English football before. Maheta took time to adjust to the physical nature of the game in this country, compared to Germany and Spain .... I'm not an expert on Argentinian doemstic football, but by their reputation, that is probably pretty physical so hopefully he will be used to getting stuck in

Argentinian football is apparently pretty technical but that could help Turienzo who might adapt better to the more physical game here. To give an example, look at Javier Saviola and Maxi Lopez, former team-mates at River Plate and both now on Barcelona's books. Saviola is small, skilful and quick, and was a massive hit in his homeland. But he's struggled somewhat for Barcelona who are now trying to ofload him. Maxi Lopez on the other hand is a bigger, more traditionally English centre-forward like Turienzo. He didn't do particularly brilliantly in Argentina because of the technical nature of the game, but has done well in Spain where even there the league is more about pace and power when compared to Argentina.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Robert Lester Zamora said:

How's he looked in training?

He was a bench player at an average 1st division Argentinian side (so that would be equivalent of top championship, maybe?)

So my guess is he's championship quality, probably no more than that

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
dwayne said:
How's he looked in training?

He was a bench player at an average 1st division Argentinian side (so that would be equivalent of top championship, maybe?)

So my guess is he's championship quality, probably no more than that

Dont buy that logic, Remember Andy Johnson at Palace would have been described as Lower Chamionship Division Quality when he went to Palace and look whats happened to him!

It sounds like he has potential and that means anything could happen in the next 2 years, also might mean he is another Molango!

Last edited:

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Are we at peace with Argentina now then?

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Oh. I'd better recall my task force then.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Lets hope the club read this

When Hernan Crespo cries depression then the Premiership has to reach for the valium.

His sadness goes some way to explain why South Americans, so decisive in other European leagues, have struggled to make the same impact in England.

Back at Stamford Bridge, the Argentine striker has revealed that he came close to quitting the game during his first spell at Chelsea.

His reasons had little to do with football and plenty to do with the sense of isolation that he felt away from the club.

To an astonishing degree he was left to his own devices in a country where he was unable to speak the language.

His most feared opponents were everyday encounters with the electrician who was coming round, the voice from the phone company on the other end of the line or the mechanic who was sorting out his car.

Crespo has scored more goals in World Cup qualifying than any other Argentine. He has been a consistent marksman in Italian club football. He may not be a great centre-forward but he is undoubtedly a very good one.

Chelsea bought Crespo the footballer - at massive expense - but forgot Crespo the human being. And because they failed to take care of him off the field, he was not in the right frame of mind to produce the goods on the field.

We tend to take Anglo-Saxon notions of personal independence for granted but it is an alien concept to many South Americans

Crespo's tale is all too typical of the experience of South American players in England.

Soon after Juan Pablo Angel joined Aston Villa his wife fell ill. He was astonished at the lack of support he received from the club. Agustin Delgado complained that he was never made to feel welcome at Southampton.

This is much more than mere homesickness.

In each case the player concerned had come to England after a successful spell in another country; Crespo in Italy, Angel in Argentina and Delgado in Mexico. In each case, though, the Latin players had been playing in other Latin countries.

But adapting to life in England is much more complicated.

We tend to take Anglo-Saxon notions of personal independence for granted but it is an alien concept to many South Americans.

They are used to helping and being helped out and can feel utterly lost when removed from their support structure.

If Premiership clubs want to get the best out of their South American acquisitions it is vital that they understand this process and put in place measures to ensure that the players are not left isolated.

Sometimes players bring their extended family over.

It can cause as many problems as it solves - they too may struggle to integrate and it ends up giving the player something else to worry about.

Crespo admits he almost quit

Clubs often fix up a language teacher but this can be a dry and difficult relationship for people who, in many cases, have little formal education.

Elsewhere in Europe an important role is carried out by those South American players already based in the country.

The new man immediately finds himself part of a ready-made community who show him the ropes and ease his adaptation. This is much more difficult in England.

Work permit restrictions make it much harder for players to come in. There are hardly enough around to form a welcoming committee.

Perhaps more use could be made of ordinary South American citizens who are making their living in England. With their experience they can teach survival skills to a new arrival, while keeping him in touch with his native culture.

Maybe then instead of Crespo the depression clinics would be full of opposing defenders.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
lets take it in turn to take the new boy out for chips and pints then he wont feel homesick

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
turienzo

According to the official site we payed an undisclosed 6 figure sum for him.

question is...

we have a strikeforce with alot of potential:
Knight,
Robinson
Cola boy
and now Turienzo.

But who the hell is going to create goals for them??

We seem to be raiding the bargain basement for defenders, and haven't signed any midfielders at all.

it worries me a bit..

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just seen it on the official site. I didn't realise that there was a six figure fee involved.

The Albion have a great team spirit. I'm sure that they will look after Federico :clap:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: turienzo

king Wombat said:
According to the official site we payed an undisclosed 6 figure sum for him.
ummm.. where is this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here