Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 pages of letters in Argus today

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
''I write to applaud Lewes District Council's decision to launch a legal challenge to John Prescott's approval to build a stadium at Falmer.

It is totally undemocratic to impose this on the people of Falmer, when the only benefit is to a Brighton football club.

Our downland is a special place, not just for us, but also for the nation, as the Government has acknowledged.

If the stadium goes ahead, its car parks will mar the sweeping views over the Downs towards Brighton. Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys. The extra traffic will blight downland villages.

Perhaps if Mr Prescott left his Jaguars at home and took a walk over the Downs, he would realise what a dreadful decision he has made.''

Pisstake.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
"If the stadium goes ahead, its car parks will mar the sweeping views over the Downs towards Brighton. Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys"

LMFAO :lolol: :lolol:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
"Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys"

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately though you cant hear any lark song because of constant traffic noise from the adjacent dual carriageway.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys."

:rolleyes:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Excellent letters to today, just these three below from idiots.

Letter: Is Lewes District Council right to call for a review? Yes
I write to applaud Lewes District Council's decision to launch a legal challenge to John Prescott's approval to build a stadium at Falmer.

It is totally undemocratic to impose this on the people of Falmer, when the only benefit is to a Brighton football club.

Our downland is a special place, not just for us, but also for the nation, as the Government has acknowledged.

If the stadium goes ahead, its car parks will mar the sweeping views over the Downs towards Brighton. Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys. The extra traffic will blight downland villages.

Perhaps if Mr Prescott left his Jaguars at home and took a walk over the Downs, he would realise what a dreadful decision he has made.

-Jackie Rowland, Kingston

Letter: We applaud Lewes District Council
We applaud the courageous decision of Lewes District councillors, who have taken a principled stand against the desecration of the South Downs.

We are appalled The Argus chose to "name and shame" them on its front page on Saturday, as if they were criminals. With this reckless and irresponsible action, The Argus has taken its policy of outrageous bias in favour of Falmer as a site for the new stadium to unprecedented levels.

-Clare and Michael Hopley, Saltdean

Letter: They have every right
I am disgusted by the biased coverage of stadium issue in your paper.

John Prescott has not only gone against his own planning laws but the advice of two of his own inspectors in allowing the building of the stadium at Falmer.

His decision to reopen the inquiry with a third inspector was straight out of "Yes Minister".

Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council have every right to challenge this outrageous decision in the High Court.

I also have to say the legal costs are nothing like those quoted in your article. They will be less than half and, of course, nothing at all if we win.

Mr Prescott's decision has opened up any area of outstanding natural beauty close to an area in need of regeneration to development.

Anyone who wants to protect the downland between Falmer and Sheepcote Valley should support us.

-Simon Barnes, Falmer

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Good letter Gaffer, Let's see how many Nimby's reply back to your letter.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Is Jackie Rowland any relation to the famous Angela Rowland, perchance?

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
80's Seagull said:
"If the stadium goes ahead, its car parks will mar the sweeping views over the Downs towards Brighton. Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys"

Will the sound echo through the valleys. About a month ago, I drove past the Reebok stadium whilst Bolton were playing Fulham(i think) and I could not hear any noise breakout from the stadium.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
bhafc99 said:
"Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys."

:rolleyes:

Can you hear the sheep bleating..nooo nooo

Can you hear the sheep bleating noo nooo

Can you hear the sheep bleating I can't hear a lark singing nooooo.

Got a ring to it hasn't?

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
80's Seagull said:

That is f***ing funny :lolol: :lolol: The 'Lark song'?? What the f*** is that all about ???

& besides he can go & hear the sheep bleating when Cardiff visit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Perry Milkins said:

Got a ring to it hasn't?

:lolol:

Just choked on my tea, to the shock of my fellow work mates

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The sheep bleating? Are they the ones in the back of the bloody great lorry thundering past Falmer on the A27?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
"Perhaps if Mr Prescott left his Jaguars at home and took a walk over the Downs, he would realise what a dreadful decision he has made."

I wish he had! Once he'd seen the two universities, the racket club, the duel carrageway, the railway line complete with ready made station he would have wondered why the process had taken so long!

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Perry Milkins said:

Got a ring to it hasn't?

Home for a clean shirt time ...why does coffee coming out of you nose hurt so much?

:lolol:

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Perry Milkins said:

Got a ring to it hasn't?

Like it :lolol:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Smart Mart said:
"Weekend visitors to the Downs, instead of hearing only sheep bleating and lark song, will have to endure the chanting of football crowds as the sound echoes through the valleys"

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dick (letter writer). You're far more likely to hear the lark down in Sheepcote Valley, which is a very valuable wildlife reserve. Apart from the traffic noise, years of intensive farming around the Falmer area have ruined any conservation value on that part of the Downs.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Dick (letter writer). You're far more likely to hear the lark down in Sheepcote Valley, which is a very valuable wildlife reserve. Apart from the traffic noise, years of intensive farming around the Falmer area have ruined any conservation value on that part of the Downs.

Well said. The great pity was that when The Friends of Sheepcote Valley presented their evidence to the last Inquiry and explained how the valley was a haven for widlife and enjoyed by the loacal poulation, the majority of the Falmer lot could not be bothered to turn up and listen.

In terms of enviromental quality and benefit to the public Sheepcote is way ahead of that field near Falmer

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Mr Prescott's decision has opened up any area of outstanding natural beauty close to an area in need of regeneration to development.

Anyone who wants to protect the downland between Falmer and Sheepcote Valley should support us.

-Simon Barnes, Falmer

Isnt sheepcote where the nimbys wanted us to build ???
:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here