Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2.5 million animals killed in the UK daily, for food.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This stat popped up during a debate on horse meat.
Quite a sobering number and making me more than a little peckish!

Each year in the UK alone, more than 900 million animals are slaughtered for food. That's about 2.5 million animals killed every day; 100,000 an hour; 1700 per minute and 30 every second. This figure doesn't include fish, who are killed in such vast numbers that they are counted in tonnes.

Sources: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Agricultural Statistics Service; Animal Aid

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
You think that's bad, what about all the cabbages cruelly harvested and left in vast warehouses In The cold and dark before being placed on display, naked in supermarkets up and down the country. And those poor carrots, millions of them ripped from their cosy underground homes in the ground and having their tops cut up before being sliced and boiled and then eaten, yes eaten by humans. It's barbarism on a massive scale I tell you! I Can't even bring myself to detail the horrific abuse and fate that awaits most of the potatoes I this country but it involves frying and mashing, it's 2013 for christs sake when will this stop!! Pass me another burger you veggie gimps.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Eating meat is probably incredibly unethical, we just don't realise it yet - the people of the future will in all probability regard our civilisation as barbaric.

The fact we have the ability to absorb that opinion and form our own as a result, whether in agreement or opposition, is down to hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, fuelled by eating meat to develop our cognitive processes.

I f***ing love bacon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Eating meat is probably incredibly unethical, we just don't realise it yet - the people of the future will in all probability regard our civilisation as barbaric.
Barbaric for eating meat :lol:

If our species didn't eat meat, we wouldn't exist. Regardless as to whether it's now possible for the whole world to stop eating meat, the fact is it certainly wasn't possible just a short while ago, so it makes no sense for our descendants to think of us as barbaric.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Mmmmmmm..........

bacon-sandwich-thumb-450x351.jpg

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
We're not in the ice age, it's of no relevance to why we eat meat now. I eat it because I like it, pretty much like all the food I eat. If I'm brutally honest I really don't give a flying toss if the beef I'm eating was ethically raised or given a chance to prance around a lovely grassy field or was soothed by the songs of a thousand virgins as it was humanely slaughtered, just shoot the f***ing thing and get it on my plate, same thing goes with eggs, I don't care if the chickens were given a cage to live in or an open barn to run around in, all chickens are twats anyway with their beady little eyes and stupid bobbing heads, lock the little fuckers up I say and make them lay more eggs the smug tossers, and when they can't lay eggs anymore get their useless feathery arses down to KFC.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Oh and don't get me started on Quorn, what the friggity frig is that all about. If you possess testicles and eat that shit, you need to have a bloody good word with yourself.

Right , where's my fluoxetine!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
We evolved to have the ability to eat meat because during the ice age it was the only available source of food which could provide enough energy for us to survive.

We now choose to eat meat for no other reason other than it tastes good, in the process causing the suffering and murder of millions of animals. In fact it would be economically more viable to not eat meat at all, not to mention better for our health.

Eating something for survival, like we did during the ice age, is a completely different ballpark. Many of us would eat a fellow human in extreme circumstances to survive.

Bacon tastes good, but we reject a lot of things that might feel good because they are unethical. Eating meat in the future will be no exception.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, can't stand the battery farm type cruelty, but humans are designed by nature to be omnivorous and being so is the best way to get a proper balance of the nutrients we need. And I agree that it's strange where we draw a line - this horsemeat scandal is only scandalous because we've decided horses shouldn't be eaten, the same for more or less any animal. The reality is it doesn't kill anyone so why is it any different from chicken or pork? It's cultural, not a scientific or ethical thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We evolved to have the ability to eat meat because during the ice age it was the only available source of food which could provide enough energy for us to survive.

our ancestors were eating meat well before the ice age. not to mention the ice age only impacted on Northern Eurasia. there are anthropological theories linking increased consumption of meat to our brain size and development, which whether correct or not are founded in long standing meat consumption, inherited from higher primates that eat meat too.

i reckon we'll eat less in the future because its probably excessive the amount we consume now. all the time chickens can be raise on small holdings, pigs can be kept on discarded food, and sheep/goats can be kept on marginal hillsides no use for any cultivation, we will farm and eat meat.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

We now choose to eat meat for no other reason other than it tastes good, in the process causing the suffering and murder of millions of animals. In fact it would be economically more viable to not eat meat at all, not to mention better for our health.

Eating something for survival, like we did during the ice age, is a completely different ballpark. Many of us would eat a fellow human in extreme circumstances to survive.

Bacon tastes good, but we reject a lot of things that might feel good because they are unethical. Eating meat in the future will be no exception.

I don't mean to sound harsh or dismissive but ....... like any of us meat eaters give a f*** !!!!!!!!!!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm a meat eater too, but that doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true :)

Fair point but given a population of 65 million, most of whom have three meals a day, 2.5 million animals sounds quite low.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here