Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£2.20 - is that a lot of money for a bus journey?

... And night buses have increased dramatically over the past 6 months. It used to be a £1 supplement on a Saver; I was asked to pay £3 last Saturday as the Saver is no longer valid.

Some competition would not go a miss.
You could always move to Birmingham, where there are NO night buses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could always move to Birmingham, where there are NO night buses.

I think I'd prefer the middle ground; reasonably priced night buses. I also think the ticketing could be simplified as well: day ticket, one way ticket, short hop. No supplments or special fares for night buses or any other weird tickets that have a range of prices depending on where you purchased it.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
When i am in the UK i live in Bramber and i can get the 2A to Churchill Square so £2.20 a bargain , but then sometimes i get the bus to Shoreham so not so good.

I would just like them to be on time.
I'd just like them to run.

Out our way (the rural area around Lewes), our friendly, neighbourhood bus company, Countryliner, has today gone into administration. And contrary to the impression that the Argus report gives, they run more than school buses. All of their routes are subsidised, by the way.

Sussex school bus firm Countryliner goes into administration From The Argus)

From the ESCC website:-

We have learned that Countryliner Sussex Ltd has gone into administration, and we regret the disruption to bus services that this will cause.

We have arranged replacement services to and from schools. Children should be able to get to school as normal but expect delays.

The following services are affected:

Transport to the following schools and colleges will be affected:
•Chailey School
•St Peters CE School, Chailey
•Uckfield Community Technology College
•Ringmer Academy
•Wivelsfield County Primary
•Uplands Community College, Wadhurst
•Heathfield Community College
•Robertsbridge Community College
•Claverham Community College, Battle
•Priory School, Lewes
•Sussex Downs College, Lewes
•Warden Park School, Cuckfield
•Sackville School, East Grinstead

Enquiries

Please call our Public Transport Services team on 01273 335080 – we will do our best to help you.

Stewart

Banned
Feb 2, 2012
Sussex
So I see this thread has sparked a bit of discussion.

It's obvious that the longer your trip, the more you are getting for your money, but let's say a 2 mile trip (which is a bit too far to walk in winter especially), is not worth £2.20.

And this short hop idea, why would anyone spend £1.50 to go 3 or 4 stops? £1.50 is a heck of an amount for what could end up being about half a mile, walk you lazy bastards.

I try to avoid the bus as much as I can now, £2.20 is just too much, this is why I walk 3 miles most days home from school, I will often get the bus to school though, as I find it a struggle to walk 3 miles after just getting up on a freezing cold morning. But if I'm going anywhere within 2 miles, I will walk it, I'm not giving money to the bus company unless I have to!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Depends, as others have said, on how you are using it. For me, if I want to pop into town from Patcham, it will now cost £4.40 for a return which seems extremely steep. Say to meet somebody in town for a pint, you're paying almost a fiver just to get there and back. I noticed it even more this summer, paying £4.40 a day to get to work and back is 20% of my wages when doing a 4 hour shift. As for the service itself, it is, very good on the whole when considering night buses and the frequency of services, but no better than you'd expect at that price.

In comparison, I'm at Sheffield most of the year, and a student single is 60p. That would take you from the city center to the edge of the peak district, not bad at all. Even an adult ticket is only £1.40 single. Nearly 50% less. My bus last year was every 6 minutes most of the day, this year a different route is every 10 minutes until 7pm.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Wouldn't be so bad if they ran buses when scheduled, got you to work on time or even dropped you off at the right stop rather than flying straight by the one you want!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wouldn't be so bad if they ran buses when scheduled, got you to work on time or even dropped you off at the right stop rather than flying straight by the one you want!

Because those things happen every time.

The price of a single is far too high but the value of the saver ticket when bought online is still very good.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Depends, as others have said, on how you are using it. For me, if I want to pop into town from Patcham, it will now cost £4.40 for a return which seems extremely steep. Say to meet somebody in town for a pint, you're paying almost a fiver just to get there and back. I noticed it even more this summer, paying £4.40 a day to get to work and back is 20% of my wages when doing a 4 hour shift. As for the service itself, it is, very good on the whole when considering night buses and the frequency of services, but no better than you'd expect at that price.

In comparison, I'm at Sheffield most of the year, and a student single is 60p. That would take you from the city center to the edge of the peak district, not bad at all. Even an adult ticket is only £1.40 single. Nearly 50% less. My bus last year was every 6 minutes most of the day, this year a different route is every 10 minutes until 7pm.

Why not get a student saver when you're at home. I've looked it up and it's £9.50 a week.

My bus last year was every 6 minutes most of the day, this year a different route is every 10 minutes until 7pm.
Buses to and from the Universities in Brighton are at least every 10 minutes throughout the day and most of the night - although Sunday evening services tail off to one every 15 minutes after 7.00pm, and every 30 minutes between midnight and 5.00am on Monday mornings. Monday to Friday daytime services are every 5 minutes.

Stewart

Banned
Feb 2, 2012
Sussex
I think the scheduling for the buses is very good, I've rarely gone past the 15 minute mark for a wait, often it will be within 5 minutes, that I give B & H buses credit for.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Why not get a student saver when you're at home. I've looked it up and it's £9.50 a week.

Cheers, didn't know that. Presumed my student/child benefits ran out when my BusID expired.

As for Lord Bracknell, I know that the buses are up to every 5 minutes, didn't say otherwise. All im saying is that at 60p singles for students, and £1.40 for adults, there isn't a great difference in service offered, but the price is around double in Brighton.

11:56 from Fareham

Feb 24, 2012
£2.20 is dirt cheap for a bus, ive just paid £4something for a bus from cosham station to crookhorn shops (bout 2miles), thats a fcuking rip off

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I will say, is that an AMEX season ticket is a bargain when used for travel. I used mine for 5 seperate trips at the last home game; 3 bus and 2 train as I did some shopping before the game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The online DaySaver is good value at £3.50 (I managed to get mine at £3.20 shortly before the prices went up). The first time I used The Key was to make 7 bus journeys during the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here