Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£1million pound loss question

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why, when the loss in TV revenue alone after relegation will be over half a million did we not SPECULATE to accumilate and buy a STRIKER?

ARTICLE

Albion's relentless pursuit of a new stadium at Falmer has now cost the club over £3 million and left them more than £1 million in the red for the year to June 2005.

The staggering sums are disclosed in the Seagulls' latest accounts. The pre-tax loss was £1,074,000, an increase of over £150,000 on the previous year.

The main reason for the inflated figure was further spending on the Falmer project of £517,000.

Turnover rose by £915,000 to £5,533,896 during Albion's first season back at Championship level.

Gate receipts were up by £300,000, primarily as a result of the third round FA Cup tie away to Spurs in January 2005.

Albion performed well in other areas. Sponsorship and advertising increased by more than £200,000 and shop sales by £132,000, thanks to a bumper Christmas and on-line ordering.

Turnover also received a £262,000 boost from fans via the 'Alive & Kicking' campaign, launched in October 2004.

On the debit side, staff costs rose by £365,000 due to a combination of wage increases for the players following promotion and the club employing around 200 part-time stewards and staff to take over the running of Withdean on match days.

The financial outlook for Albion is bleak on and off the pitch, both because of relegation and Lewes District Council's continuing opposition to Falmer.

Broadcast royalties for the year to June 2005 rose by £40,000 but the Seagulls' drop into League One next season will cost them more than £600,000 in TV revenue.

The cost of Falmer will also leap if Lewes District Council's challenge goes to court.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Because a single striker wouldn't have saved us, and we'd be down a million notes, the cost of the striker and his wages.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
MYOB said:
Because a single striker wouldn't have saved us, and we'd be down a million notes, the cost of the striker and his wages.

I'm not so sure. If we'd have signed a reasonable striker in January, I think he would have saved us. We were creating chances, we just couldn't take them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I refer my right honourable friend to the threads I started at the time suggesting that by spending a decent amount of money last year would not be speculating, rather investing in the future assuming we were going to have a £1m hit due to the lack of TV monies.

Anyone still think 1 penny will be made available for "team strengthening" ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Richie Morris said:
I agreed at the time.

Would have been better of splashing the cash.

Yes but anyone suggesting this was a heretic and not a true fan.......such is NSC

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Richie. The question was not just buying any old striker or player, it was a question of getting the right one. Another player, would not have magically guaranteed us survival. Do you not read the notes that McGhee and DK produce, in the programme. They tried and failed in many cases. Players not wanting to come etc.
I wish more people would read their notes, perhaps a fanzine could print them as well, so noone misses them.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It didn't give us automatic safety though. We need 2 or 3 players a striker and a centre midfielder at the very least and if that dosen't work or if the striker breaks his leg and is out for the season we spunk a good 100k on a player who cant play plus the 600k TV money. Should we get in the play-offs this season we will make the money back.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Over THIRTY players I seem to remember...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Richie Morris said:
Perhaps if we had got a better manager then players would have WANTED to come and play for us eh?

I think it may have been the ground and lack of money. All the targets we wanted ended up playing in front of 20 odd thousand people a week. Unless our manager could make our ground 13 thousand bigger and then fill the seats anyone of championship quality was unlikely to come here.

Last edited:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
We did not need to buy a Striker, just get one on loan.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Richie Morris said:
We will have next to NO money to spend this Summer because of these loses meaning we will NOT get back up.

How much would u like to bet? Im willing to have a 50 Quid bet for the REMF fund that we will at least reach the play-offs next season.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
but you have to ask why players did not come. Its not just withdean, its the fact that they get better money elsewhere and because of circumstances we cannot compete.

I was all for busting the bank in January but we didnt and we are down. If we did we may still have gone down.

The problem with team IMO is that the morale has gone, Stoke was a Sunday league performance, one of those ones where the team have been up drinking to 4.00am and then play football at 10.00am - thats down to the management not the board, who should invest but cant, wont.

Word is in Hastings that DK did not want to spend money. Source is a member of the Brighton staff with strong Hastings connections

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Richie Morris said:
Perhaps if we had got a better manager then players would have WANTED to come and play for us eh?

There is no question of people not wanting to play for McGhee. We have made a troop of signings and loan signings in his time. Players are more likely to stay at their clubs where they can get more money, and see their contract out, then take a signing on fee...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I tend to take the view that what we were lacking was someone to put the ball in the net...we did create enough...witness the amount of chances that we missed ( Hammond as an example). But it showed that he got in to positions...which of course was great.

I think MM believed at the beginning of the season, he thought we would not miss Ewolumo(sp) as we had LK and just bought the Argie.

I know people are still fixated by this " no money for players" stuff, but DK did say at the beginning of the year that money was available ( £350k uplift in player cost per the anus - which most of it may have been McShane) I think it was the fact that MM spunked £150k of it on someone untried and eventually unused.

If Albion were serious about staying in the division, I think someone like Freddie eastwood when he was out of favour at Southend should have been vigorously persued. I have no idea if they did, but it would surprise me if he turned us down if we had come in with reasonable offers.

Anyway this is all academic. At the end of the day it looks like another Naylor "stick the knife in to protect MM's job"

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Richie Morris said:
If we get a new manager then I think we might SNEAK in the play offs.

With McGhee..no chance.

So is that a yes or a no for the bet? Its looking more and more likely that we will be with MM next season,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here