Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1970's post-prog, non-punk music

The 1970's had its' share of vital and compelling music, I believe. It was a matter of making the effort to look for it outside of the pop charts and radio 1 daytime pap.

Following on over from the top-of-the-pops thread, I invite contributions of quality bands and tracks - not particularly punk (please) but proof that the music scene was not completely pompous nor bereft of anything worthwhile.

Variety is the spice of life, so this isn't just about commercial pop or obscurities either, just good stuff

[yt]rbXQ3mZOA90[/yt]

[yt]zP2TJpNcjPM[/yt]

[yt]fSQz_LQ6Kak[/yt]

[yt]mGF_0AcHaGs[/yt]

[yt]s6BTTJo1KmM[/yt]

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
On a par with BOC's 'Don't Fear The Reaper' for killer guitar riffage, Neal Schon's contribution to this little number had me many a time pissed up down THY giving it my all in homage on air guitar...

[yt]t4QK8RxCAwo[/yt]

On a normally dull midweek Tuesday night, the Top Rank presented new bands for 50p a ticket.

AC/DC, UFO, Scorpions, and others. Not usually more than 150 people on an average night, often less (AC/DC it was about 50 there).
The Richmond also had some future legends like Billy Idol and U2.

This band played The Top Rank one of those nights;

[yt]NNsShfxNMFA[/yt]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
NMH has just reinforced my memories of how awful the music was in that era. With the honourable exception of Dr Feelgood and Ian Dury, a whole list of bands I wouldn't got to see if they were playing in my back garden. It really was a horror period.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
[yt]8BFfOW1HPSw&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

[yt]QnO3LwkANXw&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

And to prove that TOTP did have some good stuff on it in 1976.
[yt]1nt8xTQxCYE&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

But SAHB were more comfortable on The Old Grey Whistle Test
[yt]aabojNSensw&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]
[yt]-0fT9BHpImI&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I just had a 50th birthday party and 100% 70;s music . I had trouble just editing it down to 6 hours on the i pod.There is so much good music from that decade it's ridiculas
.Bowie ,Alice Cooper , The Damned,Slade,Madness,Wings ,Queen , The Clash,The Glitter Band ,AC/DC , Thin Lizzy,Sweet . Sex Pistols ,Stranglers,Abba ,Blackfoot Sue, Secret Affair,Mott the Hoople,Led Zepplin,Lynard Skynard,Edwin Starr,Focus,Python Lee Jackson,Faces,Wizzard,Kate Bush,Pink Floyd,The Tubes,John Lennon Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop, New York Dolls , the Ramones,Blondie ,Dead Kennedys , Motorhead , Hawkwind, UFO,,,,,...................and those one hit wonders ,Crazy Horses , Mouldy Old Dough .Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep,Radar Love and so much more.

NMH. I am fascinated to know AC/DC played at the Top Rank. I remember seeing them at the Centre on the Highway to Hell tour. The only bands of that ilk that I saw at The Top Rank in the seventies were Motorhead and Iron Maiden and millions of punk bands .

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I just had a 50th birthday party and 100% 70;s music . I had trouble just editing it down to 6 hours on the i pod.There is so much good music from that decade it's ridiculas
.Bowie ,Alice Cooper , The Damned,Slade,Madness,Wings ,Queen , The Clash,The Glitter Band ,AC/DC , Thin Lizzy,Sweet . Sex Pistols ,Stranglers,Abba ,Blackfoot Sue, Secret Affair,Mott the Hoople,Led Zepplin,Lynard Skynard,Edwin Starr,Focus,Python Lee Jackson,Faces,Wizzard,Kate Bush,Pink Floyd,The Tubes,John Lennon Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop, New York Dolls , the Ramones,Blondie ,Dead Kennedys , Motorhead , Hawkwind, UFO,,,,,...................and those one hit wonders ,Crazy Horses , Mouldy Old Dough .Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep,Radar Love and so much more.

NMH. I am fascinated to know AC/DC played at the Top Rank. I remember seeing them at the Centre on the Highway to Hell tour. The only bands of that ilk that I saw at The Top Rank in the seventies were Motorhead and Iron Maiden and millions of punk bands .

I saw The Faces supported by Nazareth at The Top Rank Suite back in 1971.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The seventies WAS either punk or pretentious prog rock (or really shitty plastic pop on TOTP). The decade that rock tongue-cleaned its own a*se. Mind you, the 80's were worse...............................

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Hated pretentious rock then,Quite like it now.well I am 50. But remove the plastic pop ,the gimmick records and Disco and you have a rollickin' decade that still keeps my ears drums dribbling out my ears to this day. Glam Rock ,Heavy Rock and Punk Rock.What is there not to like????

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

Radar Love, awesome - I have a gatefold sleeve vinyl of the Moontan album with the full 9 and half minute version on it - the cover artwork is well trippy and the rest of the album is not bad for a Dutch band although Radar Love is the clear standout.....

Last edited:

there was only one group for me in the early mid 70's (I was born in '67) SPARKS, brought up on them due to shareing a bedroom with a teenage brother, from the early realeases, Halfnelson (71) still my favourite album of all time, through Woofer, the better known Propaganda, Kimono My House and Indiscreet and the realese of the singles This Town Aint Big Enough For The Both Of Us and the beautiful Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth. The 2 albums released in the late 70's (Big Beat and Introducing) didn't enjoy much success although I love listening to them during school holidays that seemed to go on forever (although as a 10 year old in Moulscoombe there wasn't much else to do!) 1979 saw chart sucess when the teamed up with Georgio Morodo (sp?) and released No1 in Heaven and Big Beat. The band are still touring and releasing now and are (almost) as good as ever.

on a change of subject, another underrated album from '79 IMO was Dirk Wears White Sox

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here