Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1970 world cup esso coins

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I've still got my set of Mobil silk badges from when we were in the first division.I have all 30,you used to get 1 for every gallon of petrol i think.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Thanks for reminding me. My Esso coins are somewhere in the depths of my loft, along with the Subbuteo etc and old footie programmes. Must look them out sometime.

Can remember collecting the coins and the anticipation in the run up to that World Cup when Ingerland were reigning World Champions........we had a great team but threw away the quarter final against W. Germany. (Didn't Mullery score?). I was gutted but at least the cup was won by that fabulous Brazilian team in probably the best final ever. The Brazilians caught the imagination and us kids were trying to do curving free kicks like Rivelino, not easy with an old lace up football that felt like concrete.

Have also got my original 'World Cup Willie' badge from 1966, the year I discovered 'footie' and watched my first Albion game.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Think I've still got Colin Bell and Brian Labone in the roof at my mum's house. I've also still got a bizarre World Cup Willy-branded periscope, presumably for looking over the heads of tall people on the terraces.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Used to love heading out to the National garage en route to Henfield (been a restaurant for many years now I think) to get collectable Smurfs

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Used to love heading out to the National garage en route to Henfield (been a restaurant for many years now I think) to get collectable Smurfs

Yep,used to get Smurfs from Buck Barn!.It used to be great fun back in the day!

Mine went long ago, there are still quite a few on eBay but by the looks of the prices I haven't blown my chances of immeasurable wealth! I remember Shell doing some "Man in Flight" and "landmarks of motoring" collections around the same time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would love it if there were commemorative coins to mark our 2011 promotion season. How hard would they be to make?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On a related subject, did anybody ever save up these Sun albums of teams and players? You got some free and could send off for more with vouchers out the paper. Early Seventies it would have been, the pre-Panini era. The best ones were the 3D photos. Tilt them a certain way and they did ball skills, made challenges, struck volleys etc. Still got some kicking around somewhere.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yup, have the Esso coins World Cup collection - although missing one or two - and oddly, two sets of the club badges on card collection (one complete, one not, both in reasonably tatty order). We're The Stripes also still has plenty of Panini albums knocking around!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
On a related subject, did anybody ever save up these Sun albums of teams and players? You got some free and could send off for more with vouchers out the paper. Early Seventies it would have been, the pre-Panini era. The best ones were the 3D photos. Tilt them a certain way and they did ball skills, made challenges, struck volleys etc. Still got some kicking around somewhere.

Hopefully my fully completed album is safe somewhere in the loft. The tilt action cards were great and i can recall Keith Weller juggling a ball, Derek Posse hitting a long ball.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Yes, still have my collection, somewhere! Collected most of mine at the Esso station on London Road, Patcham. Is it still there?

The site was redeveloped from a forecourt and workshop, to just a forecourt in 1985. Still going as an Esso petrol station. They still sell the unmissable curry pasties in the village bakery :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here