Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club - Your thoughts so far?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I took my boy to Red Bull Salzburg vs Rapid Vienna in the summer. We sat in what would have been the equivalent of the West Stand Lower at the Salzburg Arena. I grabbed a beer and we headed for our seats. Sat drinking the beer in my seat and chatted to a few Salzburg fans.

Then I noticed that around me in our end of the stand were also Vienna fans. Wearing colours. Drinking beer.

The game started. There was lots of atmosphere (the football was dire) and there was lots of aggression from the fans - but not towards each other. It was all directed towards the pitch and the players. Fans tended to self-segregate - so those wanting to get a bit more cheeky were deeper inside the Vienna block.

It was interesting, because we all know there is shed loads of trouble at European games, but here it seemed to work. They had police presence etc. but it felt 100% safe - I was with my 11 year old so staying safe was essential. I never felt the need to move.

It wouldn't happen here. It couldn't. et we can every now and then manage to create conditions where it happens - Fans United for example.

I'm not suggesting it can happen for deep rivalry games. I don't see Celtic and Rangers have an experimental love-in anytime yet, but we may get to a point one day where we're prepared to let the aggression out at the game and not at each other and show some respect towards other fans (unlike the accounts of the Palace fan in question on here). At the end of the day, perhaps it's football we should be interested in above all else.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I must admit I loathe the idea of the 1901 and everything it stands for. I like a bit of atmosphere and I like segregation. If you want to celebrate Palace scoring against us sit in the f***ing Palace end. If I wanted to turn up in a collar and shoes and sit politely with the opposition I'd watch Rugby Union (a good game of Rugby is at least the equal of a good game of football, ultimately it's the 'whole package' that makes me a football fan).

However I understand it's a necessary evil. I understand it's a big revenue generator and if I want the stadium I've got AND a good team it has to continue and possibly expand. Just expect me to tolerate it with gritted teeth.

paul381

Apr 22, 2008
Only somebody who doesn't understand what it means to be a fan would hand out bans the way Hebbard does at the moment - it's a disgrace. I can only imagine the pain of being told i was banned from supporting MY team. Banning somebody is a MASSIVE deal, we love the club, it's a part of our life, and it means a lot to us. It shows a complete lack of understanding to simply issue bans without perhaps, at the very least, having a word with somebody first, or issues a warning if they want to get heavy handed about things.

You guys in the 1901 should organise some sort of protest at the Coventry match. Perhaps some sort of mass rule break or stick up loads of banners in support of 'the 1901 one' or start chanting something about this before the match.

this richard Hebberd and martin perry seem to think it's their club and can do as they please i remember a certain bellotti and archer thinking the same thing guys get over your power trip and chill out if you want to take the fans on fine but remember it's our club not yours and we will win. :tosser:

there are plenty of good guys running our club including the great Tony Bloom it is just the minority ruining it for the rest. :bhasign:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Perhaps. But that wasn't my point.

You said the upper echelons of management were business people. That is exactly how it should be. This is a big business that needs to be run properly, on sound footings, with decisions taken sensibly and unclouded by the prejudices that all football fans hold dear.

I have no comments on the specific case of this chaps ban, as I have zero knowledge of the circumstances, beyond hearsay on this site. The guy sounds very much hard done by, but perhaps there is more to the story than we have been told?

Yes, the actual truth is that but for some timely intervention our fan was inviting the Palace chap to grow wings! And all this in front of a child

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here