Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
All this azure stuff is pissing me off a bit. Increasing the prices is just lining azures pocket's more than the Albion's transfer budget. Anyone that thinks Vicente is getting the extra 30p per pint is an idiot.

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
It is possible for a successful company to grow you know!

This. It may have been said here already but I understand tender process for contract was lost not on capability but simply that Azure had 'proven' track record at other stadia. I think contract was for 2 maybe 3 years? But they have had a year now to sort it out and I don't sense any feedback suggesting that they have.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
The whole concept of making a complete day of it at The AMEX both pre & post match will go out the window with these outrageous price hikes. The Club & Azure have shot themselves in the foot. Remember the greedy Hoteliers in London who wanted £500 per night during the Olympics & ended up with shed loads of empty rooms that are now on offer at £90 per night? Many People have got wise to being ripped off

The AMEX was a massive success in its first season (apart from Azure) & and I see this as those in charge at The Club and Azure taking advantage of the fans goodwill plus them being a captive audience. As has been mentioned, the club must have had some input into the prices. Azure & Paul Barber may live in a cosseted Corporate World, but outside of that, many people have little spare cash due to the double dip recession the country now finds itself in.

Myself and two friends plus their kids will now be changing our pre & post match drinking habits. The Swan will be getting our custom with I suspect many others doing the same. A fare inflationary rise I can accept. A 28% rise I won't accept. A great shame as the combination of Harveys & Steak n Ale pie was something to savour. (When they didn't run out of pies of course)

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The whole concept of making a complete day of it at The AMEX both pre & post match will go out the window with these outrageous price hikes. The Club & Azure have shot themselves in the foot. Remember the greedy Hoteliers in London who wanted £500 pre night during the Olympics & ended up with shed loads of empty rooms that are now on offer at £90 per night? Many People have got wise to being ripped off

The AMEX was a massive success in its first season (apart from Azure) & and I see this as those in charge at The Club and Azure taking advantage of the fans goodwill plus them being a captive audience. As has been mentioned, the club must have had some input into the prices. Azure & Paul Barber may live in a cosseted Corporate World, but outside of that, many people have little spare cash due to the double dip recession the country now finds itself in.

Myself and two friends plus their kids will now be changing our pre & post match drinking habits. The Swan will be getting our custom with I suspect many others doing the same. A fare inflationary rise I can accept. A 28% rise I won't accept. A great shame as the combination of Harveys & Steak n Ale pie was something to savour. (When they didn't run out of pies of course)

This.

I was in WSL on Saturday, arrived at 14:30, there was no food whatsoever at the kiosk. 5 minutes before half time, my kids went to get hot dogs, they came back 5 minutes after restart and only one hot dog, it was the last one. :down:

Kids wanted Brighton and Chelsea signatures afterwards, so I went to the North Stand for a pint. I was ok with the price hike but fuming to find out that they are not selling Kronenbourg this season. There was Foster's, Strongbow, Harveys on sale, nothing else, all piss water and crap! Anyone know if this is the same in other parts of the ground, or was it NS only? :shrug:

If I find that the ESU is only selling Fosters this season, the club will lose a fortune. I go with my 3 kids, I have probably 3 pints on average before the game and another 2 afterwards. Kids have probably 2 cokes and a hot dog. They have lost my revenue now. I will be drinking elsewhere and someone else can have my money and I can have a decent pint in a glass! I suspect that there will be many more people doing this, at least I hope so.

I knew that bloody Barber would do this! :rant:

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
This.

I was in WSL on Saturday, arrived at 14:30, there was no food whatsoever at the kiosk. 5 minutes before half time, my kids went to get hot dogs, they came back 5 minutes after restart and only one hot dog, it was the last one. :down:

Kids wanted Brighton and Chelsea signatures afterwards, so I went to the North Stand for a pint. I was ok with the price hike but fuming to find out that they are not selling Kronenbourg this season. There was Foster's, Strongbow, Harveys on sale, nothing else, all piss water and crap! Anyone know if this is the same in other parts of the ground, or was it NS only? :shrug:

If I find that the ESU is only selling Fosters this season, the club will lose a fortune. I go with my 3 kids, I have probably 3 pints on average before the game and another 2 afterwards. Kids have probably 2 cokes and a hot dog. They have lost my revenue now. I will be drinking elsewhere and someone else can have my money and I can have a decent pint in a glass! I suspect that there will be many more people doing this, at least I hope so.

I knew that bloody Barber would do this! :rant:

Not sure whether Barber is to blame for this but like many on here my match day routine will now change from pie & drink for me & my 2 daughters to Pie & Chips from Gulls before the match buy a drink from the shop to take in with us. No more money to Azure from me.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
i think i may just go to the downsman for a nice sitdown meal (for about the same price as a pie in a box ) also harveys (cheeper than at the ground)then jump on the free bus from pub to ground and back for free after the game (leave bike in pub carpark )

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seemed to be only Foster's in the West Stand too. A disturbing development. Won't be forking out for that rubbish.. need the Kronenbourg back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is great.All the people who are adamant that they are going to change their habits because of the price increases, will surely mean an end to the massive queues.

I'll happily pay 50p extra for a pie or a pint, in return for not having to queue for it. :thumbsup:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Is it? You don't think maybe that there was some agreement reached with the Albion over price increases? And that the Albion sees some of the increased revenue? Hopefully, the suppliers will see a bit more too.

Can you tell me where you get all your information from ? You seem to know a lot about what is going on behind the scenes? IF we had that deal, why dont the club justify it to us?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can you tell me where you get all your information from ? You seem to know a lot about what is going on behind the scenes? IF we had that deal, why dont the club justify it to us?

Is that your way of saying 'source?' ? :)

I do talk to two of the main people involved in the catering now and then (there was a third, but he left a couple of months ago).

As for the silence behind the price rises, I agree it's not good form. Even a comment mentioning it, together with something along the lines of a statement of intent to improve things would help. Perhaps they may say something in the next fortnight before the first home league game. I would hope so anyway.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The price rise does seem steep, although I am stuggling to work out how pie and pint for £6-50, rising to £7-50 equates to 28%.
But I will put up with it because it is a Hobsons Choice, if I dont stay at the ground after the game for a beer and pie, I will end up queuing for a train back to Polegate for 30 minutes, possibly getting soaked.
As others say, we may even get served quicker if less people stay behind, but the fact that the one decent lager has gone and we only get crappy Fosters is what is really pissing me off.
Would aso have been goor PR if the club had had the decency to advertise these increases, rather than just drop them on us.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
This is great.All the people who are adamant that they are going to change their habits because of the price increases, will surely mean an end to the massive queues.

I'll happily pay 50p extra for a pie or a pint, in return for not having to queue for it. :thumbsup:

saw this on another thread thought it was apt
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Can't see much justification for such large increases, especially with no warning or explanation given. I certainly won't be purchasing much this season.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The whole concept of making a complete day of it at The AMEX both pre & post match will go out the window with these outrageous price hikes. The Club & Azure have shot themselves in the foot. Remember the greedy Hoteliers in London who wanted £500 per night during the Olympics & ended up with shed loads of empty rooms that are now on offer at £90 per night? Many People have got wise to being ripped off

How much is a pint at the Swan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here