Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Towards the end of last season I went to the East Stand Brasserie for a beer after the game and they were selling pies for £1.. nice!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Errr! Would you like to re read that e mail? Clearly states pies after the game!

Just saying like!

There are two emails quoted in my post. The first one we got does indeed state pies are included. The more recent (the first one in my post) makes no mention of pies, but indicates we get two courses with cake.

I cannot see any mention of pies in the latest email. I was simply pointing out the contradiction. I think whoever composed it made a mistake.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Made some enquiries at Glamorgan yesterday Two coarse buffet and some tea at 20/20 finals £199 per head ,robbing Taffs ,now thats a f***ing libberty???

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
Catering is always expensive where there is a captive audience. I have debenture seats at Lords. The food package there is a 3 course meal ( starter and desert waiter served , main course self service carvery ) 1/2 bottle of decent wine and coffee and a substantial afternoon tea buffet.This costs £86 per person.
I have not had the meal package at the Amex as I use the coach service which normally gets me to the ground about 1 hour prior to kick off and I have to be back at the coach 20 minutes after the end of the game. From what I have seen in 1901 East the food is very inferior to that at Lords. Both are overpriced for what you get.

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
I have been to the Amex on a Sunday 3 times since close season for sunday lunch and have been impressed with both the service and the food that I have received, I cant fault it. If the quality was anywhere near that on match days then there isn't too much too complain about except the premium which is to be expected.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
I think the club has to take some of the blame , they really did over hype the catering as if everybody was getting Michelin standard food this could never happen as the chefs most of them casuals are not of that standard.They also had the final say on the then Head Chef Fred Tobin who has a good background but had never ran an opperation like that in his life ,and was a fish out of water. Anybody who takes on that job has a hard task a head of then ,small margins to work with and a poor quallity of staff and surpliers if Azure want to turn the ship around they need to be flexible and give Eliot Moore the right tools to to do the job ,the Amex is a far different animal than any of there other grounds they run. im sure a sausage and mash at Brentford is the highlight of their week but not at the Amex. A new head chef is comming in soon with a big event background give him a chance to make his mark ,if he then cant then the the club has only one opption get rid and go in house.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
If the catering is that bad then P R O T E S T. It just amazes me people moan and moan but do sod all about it. If this club was in The States they just wouldn't stand for it and it would get sorted one way or another. Off we go to the Amex tippity toe, tippety toe, musn't upset anybody. Cup of tea sir that'll be £200 sir, oh thats cheap, thank you.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
If the catering is that bad then P R O T E S T. It just amazes me people moan and moan but do sod all about it. If this club was in The States they just wouldn't stand for it and it would get sorted one way or another. Off we go to the Amex tippity toe, tippety toe, musn't upset anybody. Cup of tea sir that'll be £200 sir, oh thats cheap, thank you.

Fair comment. So how should we protest? Petition, choose a game and boycott the catering, write to Tony Bloom etc?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I see that Azure have increased the platinum package from £38 last year to £41 this year. An increase of 8%. If you are a 1901 member, do you think this is justified?

Whilst it got a little better as the season progressed, the standard of catering, service etc remained, in my and the opinion of other 1901 members that I know, at times quite woeful.

A statement acknowledging the shortcomings of last season and as a result there had been something of a shake up would have been much more welcome. To be honest if that was accompanied by words to the effect of ' as a result of our invsetigations we have concluded that the only way we can provide a satisfactory service and provide value for money is to increase the price' I would be a little mollified. But an increase to £41 for something that wasn't satisfactory before the increase and without any acknowldgement of the fact throughout, simply dents my faith in Azure even further.

What was Azure's response when you wrote to them?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

In the States? They'd consider a meal at the Amex to be Michelin 3 star quality from my experience of US food.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Been protesting since the Liverpool farce. They know that bookings are massively down from what they expected (Azure that is), they thought that every match would be sold out for the dining bit. I also happen to know that for the upcoming season Azure suggested making the Profile Lounge and possibly also the BUPA Lounge eating only, and shift the drinkers to the other bars, I believe they were told that would not happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been protesting since the Liverpool farce. They know that bookings are massively down from what they expected (Azure that is), they thought that every match would be sold out for the dining bit. I also happen to know that for the upcoming season Azure suggested making the Profile Lounge and possibly also the BUPA Lounge eating only, and shift the drinkers to the other bars, I believe they were told that would not happen.

What is "sold out" though? I was told at the dining presentation that the Profile Lounge has the capacity for every Platinum 1901er to eat if they so choose. So in this context a sell out will mean every single member eating. This is unlikely so they must have a percentage target, any ideas what this is? In my opinion the area roped off for dining always looks sizeable but I have no idea what this is measured against.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
What is "sold out" though? I was told at the dining presentation that the Profile Lounge has the capacity for every Platinum 1901er to eat if they so choose. So in this context a sell out will mean every single member eating. This is unlikely so they must have a percentage target, any ideas what this is? In my opinion the area roped off for dining always looks sizeable but I have no idea what this is measured against.

From the horses mouth I was told that, right from the start, Azure had been of the impression that the Profile Lounge and BUPA lounges would be full of diners, for every game, they were expecting double the amount of diners than they were getting. The idea of 'wet bars' in those lounges was not what they were expecting. The reality has been not a lot more than half full, if that, on average. Like I said, this came from the horses mouth, and ever since it became obvious this wasnt going to happen they have had to revise their operation. For the upcoming season They really wanted the drinkers out of the two main lounges so all the tables could be there, but the club told them that was not, and never, going to happen.

Last edited:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
A three course meal with pies at half time and cakes after the match drinks not included

wow, the 1901 lot must be proper fat cats to have a three course meal, and pies, and cakes!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
From the horses mouth I was told that, right for the start, Azure had been of the impression that the Profile Lounge and BUPA lounges would be full of diners, for every game, they were expecting double the amount of diners than they were getting. The idea of 'wet bars' in those lounges was not what they were expecting. The reality has been not a lot more than half full, if that, on average. Like I said, this came from the horses mouth, and ever since it became obvious this wasnt going to happen they have had to revise their operation. For the upcoming season They really wanted the drinkers out of the two main lounges so all the tables could be there, but the club told them that was not, and never, going to happen.

And it doesn't occur to Azure that they must be doing something fundamentally wrong? Getting half the diners expected? The only possible solution is obviously to increase the price!

The group of friends that I brought 1901 tickets expected to use the dining facility most if not every game. Sometimes just as a group of friends and sometimes to share the tickets if someone wanted take work clients etc. After last season's experiences no one is intending to use the dining at all. We all also agree that it would be simply embarrassing to take a client.

Not using the facility is the obvious answer but it is also more than a little annoying as a 'fine dining' facility was promised and one reason for buying 1901 seats was to be able to use it.

And just for the record, all those of us who bought 1901s were regulars in the Goldstone North Stand in the late 70s and '80s. Not JCLs or whatever!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From the horses mouth I was told that, right for the start, Azure had been of the impression that the Profile Lounge and BUPA lounges would be full of diners, for every game, they were expecting double the amount of diners than they were getting. The idea of 'wet bars' in those lounges was not what they were expecting. The reality has been not a lot more than half full, if that, on average. Like I said, this came from the horses mouth, and ever since it became obvious this wasnt going to happen they have had to revise their operation. For the upcoming season They really wanted the drinkers out of the two main lounges so all the tables could be there, but the club told them that was not, and never, going to happen.

Where they really expecting both lounges to be full from the first game? If so where on earth did they get this projection from?

I do not believe this is, or can be, the case though. So if they want the lounges to be full of diners, then it's pretty much down to them to work at it and provide a suitable product and service at a price which attracts a full house.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
And it doesn't occur to Azure that they must be doing something fundamentally wrong? Getting half the diners expected? The only possible solution is obviously to increase the price!

The group of friends that I brought 1901 tickets expected to use the dining facility most if not every game. Sometimes just as a group of friends and sometimes to share the tickets if someone wanted take work clients etc. After last season's experiences no one is intending to use the dining at all. We all also agree that it would be simply embarrassing to take a client.

Not using the facility is the obvious answer but it is also more than a little annoying as a 'fine dining' facility was promised and one reason for buying 1901 seats was to be able to use it.

And just for the record, all those of us who bought 1901s were regulars in the Goldstone North Stand in the late 70s and '80s. Not JCLs or whatever!

I got the feeling that Azure felt they had been effectively been lead to believe that the tables would all be full by the terms of the contract the club was offering, in reality far fewer took up the option, heaven knows how bad it would've been should everyone booked tables. Still, as a non local, investigating the various pubs, cafes and other eating establishments around the North Laine pre match suits me just fine, I shall continue to do so.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Where they really expecting both lounges to be full from the first game? If so where on earth did they get this projection from?

I do not believe this is, or can be, the case though. So if they want the lounges to be full of diners, then it's pretty much down to them to work at it and provide a suitable product and service at a price which attracts a full house.

I know it sounds daft, but yes, that is exactly what they were expecting, that's what I was told.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have never dined in the 1901 a pie and a few pints does me, plus a halftime pint or coffee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here