Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

15 things you didn't know about Ecuador

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
1 In 2000 Ecuador became the first South American country to adopt the US dollar as its official currency, replacing the sucre

2 The welcome message on coach Luis Fernando Suárez's mobile reads 'if you can dream it, you can do it'

3 Guinea pig was such a popular dish in colonial times that iconography featuring Christ tucking into guinea pigs at the last supper was common

4 Guinea pig is usually fried or baked and is served whole. It is said to taste like very gamey chicken

5 The record score in Copa America history was Argentina's 12-0 victory against Ecuador in 1942

6 Proof of Life, the film remembered more for the affair between its co-stars Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe than its pedestrian plot, was filmed in Quito

7 The Ecuador players were due to receive bonuses of $30,000 (£16,250) per man per win during the group stage

8 Voting at elections is compulsory for all literate Ecuadorians aged 18-65

9 Ecuador's most famous footballer Alberto Spencer is of part Jamaican/British ancestry. Known as Cabeza Magica (magic head) he scored a record 54 goals in the Copa Libertadores from 1960-72

10 The gold medal won by Jefferson Pérez in the 20km walk at the 1996 Olympics was the country's first ever at the games

11 Ecuador have only ever qualified for the World Cup finals when they have had a Colombian coach - Hernán Gómez in 2002, Suarez in 2006

12 Lorena Bobbitt, famous for severing her husband's penis in 1993, was born in Ecuador. She was acquitted of malicious wounding on the grounds of temporary insanity

13 Charles Darwin aboard HMS Beagle explored Ecuador's Galapagos archipelago for five weeks in 1835, 24 years before the publication of Origin of Species

14 Christina Aguilera is estranged from her Ecuador-born father Fausto. Her song I'm OK catalogues the alleged abuse her mother suffered at his hands

15 The city of Quito claims to be the first-ever World Heritage Site listed by Unesco for protection in 1978. In fact it was one of the original 12 selected and its reference number is not 1 but 2

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I already knew numbers 4, 8, 11 and 15, so the title of this thread is not altogether accurate.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Uncle Buck said:
4 Guinea pig is usually fried or baked and is served whole. It is said to taste like very gamey chicken
Every exotic meat tastes like chicken. I've heard crocodile, rattlesnake and HUMAN meat described that way.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Easy 10 said:
I already knew numbers 4, 8, 11 and 15, so the title of this thread is not altogether accurate.

And I knew 1, 6 and 13 as well, so it's a thoroughly misleading title...

I'd also question the validity of #4. Guinea pig is usually roasted on a barbecue, which in my books isn't fried or baked. And although it is often served whole and certainly cooked that way, it is also quite expensive by local standards, and regularly sold and served cut in half. And it tastes like "greasy chicken", not "gamey chicken."

So there...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Re: Re: 15 things you didn't know about Ecuador

Man of Harveys said:
Every exotic meat tastes like chicken. I've heard crocodile, rattlesnake and HUMAN meat described that way.

Snake and crocodile do taste like chicken. Crocodile is a bit chewier though.

I've never tasted human meat though. I'll have to ask Mrs Trufflehound what it's like when she gets home... :blush:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Natural hazards:
frequent earthquakes, landslides, volcanic activity; floods; periodic droughts :eek: :eek: :eek:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The nations capital, Quito, is 9,300 ft above sea level, which is the 2nd highest capital in the world. It is served by the worlds longest and steepest cablecar, which stretches 114 miles to the coast at Portoveijo. The citizens of Quito have becomed accustomed to dodging low-flying commercial aircraft from nearby Columbia and Peru, although in real terms, the aircraft arn't really low-flying at all. An average of 16 Quitonians are chewed up in aircraft propellars a year, whilst 41 were sucked into jet turbine engines last year alone.

The consentual age for sex is 12, and the national fruit is the pomegranate.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Uncle Buck said:
1 In 2000 Ecuador became the first South American country to adopt the US dollar as its official currency, replacing the sucre

Phew - lucky they did that - they'd all be fat if they had to carry sugar around all the time!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here