Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You’re moving the goalposts :shrug:

You asked by what measure is £15 too much and I gave two examples. The fact that DaZn can afford to stream every Prem match for less than £20 a month whilst the Premier League are now asking for up to £60 a month on top of the already ludicrous fees people pay for Sky Sports & BT means I can’t see why any sane person would think the £15 fee is acceptable.

If the fee was £15 a month for your teams games and the club had sorted refunds on season tickets then I don’t think you’d see many complaints. Sadly as it currently stands it’s just another way for the Premier League to push genuine working class fans out of the game so they can continue to suck-up to people who are middle class and out of touch with reality.

The only positive is tje fact that grassroots football will get the massive boost it deserves. A lot of people are going to go and watch Lewes/Worthing/Horsham/Bognor and realise that it’s much better value for money and quite frankly, much more fun. Even if fans are allowed back with no restrictions next season I wouldn’t be surprised to see a massive plunge in ST renewals and a slight dip in overall attendances.

Most overseas streams are behind so that's one point.

Yes, the club could refund what they have collected for season tickets and next week the government could announce they're allowing fans back in and the club then need to collect the money again!!!

However, it is clear from the last paragraph that you see watching football with a beer in your hand and paying a minimum amount rather than watching Brighton. Me, I'm a Brighton fan and that's the team I want to watch. When they're not playing I'm not bothered about the local non league teams. I know some are but that's not me. £10 to go and watch Burgess Hill Town in the Isthmian South Central League or £14.95 to watch Brighton, it's no contest.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am very supportive of the work of Barber and Bloom and I suspect there is going to be more to come on the ST money in the not too distant future but as it stands I think PPV at £15 a go is a step too far (although I have more respect for Paul Barber owning the decision as opposed to Leicester and Man U publicly objecting then taking the money anyway).

In the words of Michael Corleone, 'it's not personal, it's strictly business' and ultimately it is for individuals to decide if they want to pay or not. I know NSC is only a subset of fans but having 70-80% saying they aren't going to pay should be cause for a little concern.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes, the club could refund what they have collected for season tickets and next week the government could announce they're allowing fans back in and the club then need to collect the money again!!!

However, it is clear from the last paragraph that you see watching football with a beer in your hand and paying a minimum amount rather than watching Brighton. Me, I'm a Brighton fan and that's the team I want to watch. When they're not playing I'm not bothered about the local non league teams. I know some are but that's not me. £10 to go and watch Burgess Hill Town in the Isthmian South Central League or £14.95 to watch Brighton, it's no contest.

Good post....I watch Burgess Hill a fair bit......

I’ve kind of accepted it’s not as bad as it first sounded after a bit of reflecting. The whole issue of ST money being held needs to be treated separately- that will either get used (if and when we go back) or refunded. I can accept the admin ballache it would cause for the club to refund bits in dribs and drabs, and as you say until a couple of weeks ago the were expecting us to be returning by now.

I think 14.95 per game is a bit steep personally, but if PPV had been available in a ‘normal’ season for away games I couldn’t get to I’d probably have paid to be able to watch a game live that I otherwise couldn’t, other than via a dodgy stream - this is essentially what this offers.

Some of the vitriol being dished out to Barber and others over this is way OTT regardless of people’s views.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
For what its worth I don't believe any football club have any legal basis to hold onto season ticket credit balances.

In general, unless the terms and conditions of a contract entered into say otherwise, there is no legal right given to a company to keep any credit balance. Even if such a clause existed, it could be deemed unfair.

An individual should always be able to ask for a refund of any credit. If any company refuses to repay a credit, ask them for the legal authority they are relying on in order to retain it.

However, I do understand that there are administrative overheads for refunding credit balances although that is the club's issue (and I suspect there are not as onerous as PB makes out).

I think this is more about cash flow and general funds (which again I understand). However, the players and some of the staff are earning tens of thousands a week which most fans are not.

I have two season tickets. I have not asked for a refund.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If I was offered a partial refund on my ST money I would allow the club to keep hold of it for when we can get back into the ground then probably pay to watch some of the home PPV game.

Yes, I am complicated.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
radio sussex commentary v West Brom for me

doubt this will include the key TV commentator items re:

Ben White played every minute for Leeds
Alexis M's family originally from Scotland
Potter has changed our style of play

Warren may get the odd name wrong but is always pretty honest / accurate re how well we are / are not playing

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For what its worth I don't believe any football club have any legal basis to hold onto season ticket credit balances.

In general, unless the terms and conditions of a contract entered into say otherwise, there is no legal right given to a company to keep any credit balance. Even if such a clause existed, it could be deemed unfair.

An individual should always be able to ask for a refund of any credit. If any company refuses to repay a credit, ask them for the legal authority they are relying on in order to retain it.

However, I do understand that there are administrative overheads for refunding credit balances although that is the club's issue (and I suspect there are not as onerous as PB makes out).

I think this is more about cash flow and general funds (which again I understand). However, the players and some of the staff are earning tens of thousands a week which most fans are not.

I have two season tickets. I have not asked for a refund.

In law you’re probably correct (it’ll never come to that though) however the ST T&Cs have a fairly wide get-out clause re rearranged matches (and the club could easily argue that what they have collected so far ‘might’ be used over the course of the rest of the season). DD payments on a month by month basis aren’t assigned to specific matches......

Interesting to see what would happen if someone asked for their money back. Suspect the club would agree, but ST would be cancelled.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In law you’re probably correct (it’ll never come to that though) however the ST T&Cs have a fairly wide get-out clause re rearranged matches (and the club could easily argue that what they have collected so far ‘might’ be used over the course of the rest of the season). DD payments on a month by month basis aren’t assigned to specific matches......

Interesting to see what would happen if someone asked for their money back. Suspect the club would agree, but ST would be cancelled.

I think I read somewhere that Leicester only collected a £75 deposit from Season Ticket holders but the principle that they are holding on to money is still the same.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Unless you're glued to social media and are unable to distance yourself from it for a whopping 90 minutes then I fail to see how a stream being a minute behind is of any real issue to anyone, clutching at straws would be generous.

Your last paragraph is miles wide of the mark. I can't be arsed to retype it but I made a pretty lengthy post about my history as an Albion supporter in this thread. If you can't be arsed to read it then synopsis is the Albion means the world to me, it's responsible for most of my most cherished childhood memories, it's what allowed me to spend quality time with my Granddad before he passed away, it's the reason I became friends with most of my closest friends now. I'd love to be able to sit here and praise the club for the excellent way they've handled this. In fact I was very positive about a lot of the work they did last season, and I defended the club to the hilt on a multi-team forum I use. However, I refuse to sink funds into a clearly broken system. I refuse to sit by and pump money in to the Premier League, where clubs can lay off staff and then spend £40m+ on a single player a few weeks later. I refuse to fund a club who turn around to season ticket holders who have paid for games they know they wouldn't see and accuse them of 'wanting everything for free'

Everyone has their breaking point, and I know half a dozen who have given away their season tickets already, and probably another half a dozen more who are on the verge of doing it. With every push the club make towards the 'customers not fans' mantra, with every VAR farce, with every Project Big Picture debate, more and more people look at the options in front of them and slowly gravitate towards the Non-League followed by a dodgy stream route. Your breaking point might be further down the road than me, but I'm not envious of that at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless you're glued to social media and are unable to distance yourself from it for a whopping 90 minutes then I fail to see how a stream being a minute behind is of any real issue to anyone, clutching at straws would be generous.

Your last paragraph is miles wide of the mark. I can't be arsed to retype it but I made a pretty lengthy post about my history as an Albion supporter in this thread. If you can't be arsed to read it then synopsis is the Albion means the world to me, it's responsible for most of my most cherished childhood memories, it's what allowed me to spend quality time with my Granddad before he passed away, it's the reason I became friends with most of my closest friends now. I'd love to be able to sit here and praise the club for the excellent way they've handled this. In fact I was very positive about a lot of the work they did last season, and I defended the club to the hilt on a multi-team forum I use. However, I refuse to sink funds into a clearly broken system. I refuse to sit by and pump money in to the Premier League, where clubs can lay off staff and then spend £40m+ on a single player a few weeks later. I refuse to fund a club who turn around to season ticket holders who have paid for games they know they wouldn't see and accuse them of 'wanting everything for free'

Everyone has their breaking point, and I know half a dozen who have given away their season tickets already, and probably another half a dozen more who are on the verge of doing it. With every push the club make towards the 'customers not fans' mantra, with every VAR farce, with every Project Big Picture debate, more and more people look at the options in front of them and slowly gravitate towards the Non-League followed by a dodgy stream route. Your breaking point might be further down the road than me, but I'm not envious of that at all.

No-one is going to pay for a game they haven’t seen. You’ll get your money back. Club have made that very clear.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's a bit out of order bearing in mind the club hosted a trial event and were gearing up to fans being back in the grounds from October onwards. It's hardly the club's fault the government have pulled the rug from under their feet.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I’d say Pail Barber is rattled by this; “fans always want everything for nothing” and calling fans “hysterical” is deeply unprofessional and very out of character for him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d say Pail Barber is rattled by this; “fans always want everything for nothing” and calling fans “hysterical” is deeply unprofessional and very out of character for him.

Would you say it’s beyond the “pail” of professionalism?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here