Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to a Brighton foodbank instead - Monday PPV vs. West Brom.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So in summary;
a) You would take a pay cut from your employer even if they employed someone to do your job on more money than you.
b) Footballers have power in the larger governance and legislation of the game.
c) The PL, FA, UEFA, FIFA shouldn't do anything regarding salary caps, financial rules etc.

Which is all fine of course, I just wouldn't have suspected it to be the case.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Another aspect of this bizarre ongoing demonisation of players is why the hell should they tell the media, us or anyone for that matter what they do with their money.

If some/all of them have taken pay cuts or deferrals, or make lumpy charity donations each month off their own back, they have absolutely no obligation to tell anyone about it, least of all to appease those who will probably just go on to find another angle of attack - "is that all?", "why did it take you so long?", "you're still earning more in a week than I do in a year" etc etc.

I donated my virtual Grand National winnings to a local charity. When I made the donation I noticed that an Albion player (well, same name and not many folk would pump the massive sum he had sent them) had made a huge donation.

I do think wages are absurd, but I don't attack the players. They pay huge taxes and I reckon a lot give large sums away on the quiet.

The issue is sustainability and sensibility. Football is ruining itself.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I donated my virtual Grand National winnings to a local charity. When I made the donation I noticed that an Albion player (well, same name and not many folk would pump the massive sum he had sent them) had made a huge donation.

I do think wages are absurd, but I don't attack the players. They pay huge taxes and I reckon a lot give large sums away on the quiet.

The issue is sustainability and sensibility. Football is ruining itself.

Disagree. You have to ‘attack the players’ now because they’re very much part of the problem and consequently solution.

Otherwise we remain in ‘just following orders’ territory and frankly that doesn’t wash anymore. Football’s at the precipice, and part of me doesn’t care if it falls over if honest!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why do you think you are being exploited ? You are simply being given the opportunity to watch a game on TV that you otherwise couldn't watch live in person and is not on TV.

Be honest you just want it for free, that's what is upsetting you.

The very notion of being a 'fan' is to be exploited for your passion, loyalty and commitment to a team. It happens in every facet of the game, and we all have a choice of how much we buy into that.

The exploitation is how our inability to get to games is turned into a commercial opportunity introducing a new model of charging for football sprung after many people will already be in contracts with Sky, BT, Amazon etc. Our passion and loyalty to see our team will open up that opportunity to charge £15 for a fixture that up until now would have had no commercial attractiveness to the market.

I'm not upset, I'll just choose not to pay it, same as I choose never to pay for a replica shirt, I'm not upset about it as I don't think I should get the shirt for free, but neither will I pay a bullseye for a t-shirt.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Disagree. You have to ‘attack the players’ now because they’re very much part of the problem and consequently solution.

Otherwise we remain in ‘just following orders’ territory and frankly that doesn’t wash anymore. Football’s at the precipice, and part of me doesn’t care if it falls over if honest!

We're stuck in a cycle. The league negotiates TV money, they get loads more, the players see that and (validly) want some of the money. So when the league renegotiates, they need more money for the players (and for themselves). If the players take less, the clubs certainly aren't going to lower their TV funding the next time round and will just sit on a load of cash. Maybe they won't raise it quite as much and things will settle a bit, but is there really a way out?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another aspect of this bizarre ongoing demonisation of players is why the hell should they tell the media, us or anyone for that matter what they do with their money.

If some/all of them have taken pay cuts or deferrals, or make lumpy charity donations each month off their own back, they have absolutely no obligation to tell anyone about it, least of all to appease those who will probably just go on to find another angle of attack - "is that all?", "why did it take you so long?", "you're still earning more in a week than I do in a year" etc etc.

They have no obligation obviously, but the club started telling us. In fact, Barber has mentioned the discussions, who he is talking to within the squad, he also gave a few updates along the way, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to therefore expect a follow up/final statement from the club even if it’s to just say talks are still ongoing or have concluded. Maybe they should have kept quiet from the off? But as they didn’t one can’t be blamed for being curious.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They have no obligation obviously, but the club started telling us. In fact, Barber has mentioned the discussions, who he is talking to within the squad, he also gave a few updates along the way, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to therefore expect a follow up/final statement from the club even if it’s to just say talks are still ongoing or have concluded. Maybe they should have kept quiet from the off? But as they didn’t one can’t be blamed for being curious.

Pop him an email to ask.

(Set aside 4 days to read the reply)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You might have missed this story in the Argus - Albion pay talks on hold for now

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So in summary;
a) You would take a pay cut from your employer even if they employed someone to do your job on more money than you.
b) Footballers have power in the larger governance and legislation of the game.
c) The PL, FA, UEFA, FIFA shouldn't do anything regarding salary caps, financial rules etc.

Which is all fine of course, I just wouldn't have suspected it to be the case.

A) If my client asked me to take a cut I’d certainly seriously consider their proposal. If the client feels someone has more worth/value than me, that’s up to them. I’m a freelancer so maybe my mindset is different?
B) Not as individuals, but they have input, via their clubs and lobbying from the PFA. I remember Barber said the players and coaching team were consulted over a number of re-start protocol items. Their input was sought regarding the club’s position.
C) No, my point is about Brighton and what we do. I’m not overly bothered about the wider game to be honest. It’s not so much should they, it’s can they, I’m not convinced it’s totally workable across nations.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
If you go to a pub with BT Sport there is a way of watching games for free if they’re featured on BT Sport Box Office, because BT Sport are showing the games that aren’t selected for ‘national’ broadcast quite separately and free of charge on a different channel. The offer only applies to BT commercial customers – e.g. pubs and the like. We had a text message from them giving the details - presumably, all BT Sport commercial customers got the same info. I'm not yet clear if the Monday game is included in this.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was listening to Talk Shite the other day, they were talking about this and how much viewers in other countries pay to watch premier league games, someone fro. New Zealand I think it was pays the equivalent of £9 per month and has a choice of any match he wants to see. South Africans pay even less.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was listening to Talk Shite the other day, they were talking about this and how much viewers in other countries pay to watch premier league games, someone fro. New Zealand I think it was pays the equivalent of £9 per month and has a choice of any match he wants to see. South Africans pay even less.

In NZ and SA soccerball is hardly the first sport of choice.

Costed accordingly to demand and incomes I would guess.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Out of interest, what channel are they putting these PPV games on? I don't have Sky sports or BT sports. If the Brighton games on free to air I will watch, otherwise I listen to it on radio.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Simon Jordan was saying that because the world wide audience that want to watch Premier league football is high, they can sell it cheap.

Time factor also needs to be taken into account, not for SA, but with NZ being 12 hours ahead not many games are going to be on at a great time.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We're stuck in a cycle. The league negotiates TV money, they get loads more, the players see that and (validly) want some of the money. So when the league renegotiates, they need more money for the players (and for themselves). If the players take less, the clubs certainly aren't going to lower their TV funding the next time round and will just sit on a load of cash. Maybe they won't raise it quite as much and things will settle a bit, but is there really a way out?

There is. Sadly the current trajectory is clubs will simply fold. It’s utterly unsustainable, reform is required. Frankly if players need to be educated as to why £500k a week (a week!!) for kicking a ****ing inflated piece of plastic/leather about is ridiculous, then I don’t care if they and their egos are casualties along the way.

No player bigger than the club. Right? Hmmm, not these days it would seem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here