[Albion] 12 Points Above The Drop Zone.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We're gonna drop like a stone now

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
After Spurs at home, we currently have a two weekend break before playing Norwich at home. Time to get players back from injury, regroup,then when we beat Norwich only one more win is needed for safety.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Is it time for Uncle Tony to invite someone into the Club would can inject a bit of serious finance allowing us to make the signings we all know we need in this coming Summer transfer window ? He might have to relinquish a bit of power but it looks the only way we can step up from this perennial fight to stay out of the bottom 3 and climb into the upper mid table the Club desires.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Seriously. Anyone worried about relegation should go and stick 25 quid on us to go down. Oddschecker suggests you can get 400/1. Therefore 25 quid will give you ten grand. If you are really really serious then stick on 250 quid and get 100k. That will soften the blow.

I don’t think anyone has said they think we are going down. I mentioned that I don’t agree that we are almost certainly safe. Not quite the same thing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don’t think anyone has said they think we are going down. I mentioned that I don’t agree that we are almost certainly safe. Not quite the same thing.

Ha! But Saying relegation is a “scenario that is entirely possible” ? Is very half empty indeed !!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ha! But Saying relegation is a “scenario that is entirely possible” ? Is very half empty indeed !!

Yeah, semantics really. I just can’t see us picking up another point at the moment. Don’t get me wrong. Overall it’s been a brilliant season. Perhaps the finest in our history. The perception of complacency in the run in amongst players and supporters is just such a shame though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, semantics really. I just can’t see us picking up another point at the moment. Don’t get me wrong. Overall it’s been a brilliant season. Perhaps the finest in our history. The perception of complacency in the run in amongst players and supporters is just such a shame though.

The Burnley game was a bit of a disaster. It happens. but we played well v united (probably our best 45 mins all season) and yesterday by all accounts. So a small blip ? Things will turn I hope. Not sure manager or players are relaxed about it. Or fans either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
17 days ago we were 1000/1 for the drop. Now 250/1. Unlikely, but clearly more likely.

I've had a £10 misery hedge every season, normally placed at a time when I'm glass half empty. Last season I would have got £400 had it come in. I've just stuck mine on PP and will get £2,750 should we go down. Which we won't.

I might look for a more serious spread bet on us finishing between 17th and 13th or on 37-43 points but those odds will be MUCH lower (and fairly much what I predicted at the start of the season).

Ho hum.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is it time for Uncle Tony to invite someone into the Club would can inject a bit of serious finance allowing us to make the signings we all know we need in this coming Summer transfer window ? He might have to relinquish a bit of power but it looks the only way we can step up from this perennial fight to stay out of the bottom 3 and climb into the upper mid table the Club desires.

I’d rather be relegated.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ha. Of course. I’d even suggest that we could lose all our remaining games and still stay up …

We probably already have enough. Discounting Norwich and Watford, for 33 to not be enough it would require both Leeds and Everton to get another 11 points and Burnley to get another 12. Plenty of chance that at least one of those 3 will have a crap end to the season and fail to get those points.

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We won’t go down. This season.
The January transfer window was massively disappointing considering the fantastic position we were in, and we are now feeling the effects of IMO an uncharacteristic lack of ambition in that window. I think our board got it wrong, it happens.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Whilst we are very very likely to stay up it will perhaps be more of an issue whether GP remains for a crack at next season. I feel that this is what the remaining games are all about.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Things can only get better

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We won’t go down. This season.
The January transfer window was massively disappointing considering the fantastic position we were in, and we are now feeling the effects of IMO an uncharacteristic lack of ambition in that window. I think our board got it wrong, it happens.

You’re right that we have a history of making significant signings in the January window that could go straight into the team in Championship days, but I don’t think we can expect or realistically afford to be buying genuine oven-ready players in January now we’re in the Premier League. The one time we tried, we ended up with Jurgan Locadia on a 4.5 year deal.

I like the policy we seem to have of buying and developing young talent.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
You’re right that we have a history of making significant signings in the January window that could go straight into the team in Championship days, but I don’t think we can expect or realistically afford to be buying genuine oven-ready players in January now we’re in the Premier League. The one time we tried, we ended up with Jurgan Locadia on a 4.5 year deal.

I like the policy we seem to have of buying and developing young talent.

I get that, but, we let Burn go with no replacement, we let Connolly go with no replacement. We weakened our squad in January when we were flying. That is poor leadership, end of.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

No thanks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I get that, but, we let Burn go with no replacement, we let Connolly go with no replacement. We weakened our squad in January when we were flying. That is poor leadership, end of.

Yes, I said this on the Newcastle match thread. With Ashworth, Burn and Connolly gone we finished that window in a worse state, partly due to the power of the petro dollar and partly due to complacency, IMO. I'd slightly argue re Connolly in that I think Ferguson has replaced him and he was hardly having a stellar season but the other two have weakened us on and off the field and significantly strengthened a direct rival.

However, we do have Mitoma and Undav to come in over the summer, Mwepu and Webster hopefully back from injury soon and quite possibly Van Hecke and Khadra joining the first team squad next season? Plus we'll get a nice fee from Biss that should allow us to bring in at least one or two more if we feel we need it.

[MENTION=643]nwgull[/MENTION] is right about our overall strategy though, so we won't be breaking the bank but, in hindsight, with the team struggling at both ends of the field it would have been nice to have recalled or brought directly in one or two of the above.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No thanks.

I’m with you, I’ll take the current disappointment with fragile defending and ongoing goal scoring frustration. GP will work it out or he’ll get the boot. I am confident in the former. Struggle (as a mid to lower PL team remember!) with TB is preferable to potential blood money owning the Albion.

Shit I’ll even take a couple of relegations over that!,

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
We're just desperately short of options in all areas of the pitch atm, as mentioned above we let Burn go but didn't replace him which has caused us no end of problems.

We have two first team strikers to choose from both of whom are misfiring (not including Ferguson who evidently isn't rated highly enough to start yet), and our wide options are terribly uninspiring - Trossard is v inconsistent and March has no goal threat whatsoever.

Potter gave it a go with Lamptey out wide at the weekend but this clearly isn't his favoured position. Gone are the days where we have wingers who can get you off your seat in anticipation of what's to come, all too predictable. Khadra would be an invaluable option in our squad right now, hoping to see Sarmiento back asap as in his short time here he looks to offer a bit of pace, invention and unpredictability - all of which we are lacking presently.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We’ll easily finish on 40+ points. Do we have to bring back the term ‘bedwetters’? We’re in a bad patch, bad patches end.

Damp patch, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here