Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12,772 at Blackburn!

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
We are not a big club, but we do have potential!

Exactly this, and after five seasons in the Premier league maybe other fans will think of differently of us. Until then unfortunately people will still think of us as a tinpot club with great potential. Speaking to a couple of middle aged Sheff Wednesday fans in the queue at the station they were surprised how big the station was for the size of the town. I had to remind them of the fact that we are a city of 275,00 people with a catchment area of 400,000. Unfortunately I think is still how some people up north view Brighton as a place and a club.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Slightly off topic but while we're on shit home crowds read this from a Forest fan on Football Forums last night:

And that Seven Nation Army, and the repetitive thumping, is the dullest, most draining experience I have ever stood through! Does that ever help create an atmosphere?

Oh how true it is.

Utter shite 2nd only to after goal music !!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not sure how it's in any way relevant but.....

20,940 v Spartak Moscow (0-1)
20,897 v Legia Warsaw (0-0)
20,677 v Rosenborg (4-1)

Out of, what, 30k capacity?

The point I was making was that there support has never really been massive anyway.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Out of, what, 30k capacity?

The point I was making was that there support has never really been massive anyway.

Yes, capacity around 30,000.

The whole of one end is given over to away fans and if they don't bring any then 21,000 is probably about capacity.

In the season they won the league, their average was 25,272.

Not bad for a town of 100,000

The problems with the owners/manager is MASSIVELY affecting their gates

Any crowd below Palaces deserves a thread.

How many did Forest bump up the MASSIVES turn out last night ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
September 17th 1983. Albion have just been relegated from the top flight and are playing a home game in the second tier. Attendance? 11,735.

Pretty much where Blackburn are at with their home attendance yesterday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone mocking Blackburns crowds maybe needs to take a little time out to research precisely why so many fans there have become completely disenfranchised with the club.

Until the arrival of the Venkeys, that club was a well established Premiership side. Then the indian chicken farmers rock up, sack Allardyce (not everyones cup of tea but he knows his way around), install some inexperienced unknown stooge from the coaching staff, make outlandish claims of aiming for top 4, then come out with some laughable soundbites about bringing in Beckham and Ronaldinho, before promptly giving Kean a January transfer budget of £5m and telling him the rest will have to be loans. Quelle surprise, relegation duly ensues.

Teflon Kean stays in his job, being as he's in no position to make any waves (nor would he want to when he's in cahoots with agent and Venkeys "advisor" Jerome Anderson, when he's subsequently giving 2 year deals to Andersons hopeless son Myles, who by 20 had played all of 2 minutes of professional football for Aberdeen before being farmed out on loan to Aldershot this season).

The goings on at Ewood have been a complete and utter disgrace, and I do not blame one single fan for staying away from there given the circumstances, even though they've had a decent start. The chickeners have ruined that club.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Anyone mocking Blackburns crowds maybe needs to take a little time out to research precisely why so many fans there have become completely disenfranchised with the club.

Until the arrival of the Venkeys, that club was a well established Premiership side. Then the indian chicken farmers rock up, sack Allardyce (not everyones cup of tea but he knows his way around), install some inexperienced unknown stooge from the coaching staff, make outlandish claims of aiming for top 4, then come out with some laughable soundbites about bringing in Beckham and Ronaldinho, before promptly giving Kean a January transfer budget of £5m and telling him the rest will have to be loans. Quelle surprise, relegation duly ensues.

Teflon Kean stays in his job, being as he's in no position to make any waves (nor would he want to when he's in cahoots with agent and Venkeys "advisor" Jerome Anderson, when he's subsequently giving 2 year deals to Andersons hopeless son Myles, who by 20 had played all of 2 minutes of professional football for Aberdeen before being farmed out on loan to Aldershot this season).

The goings on at Ewood have been a complete and utter disgrace, and I do not blame one single fan for staying away from there given the circumstances, even though they've had a decent start. The chickeners have ruined that club.

It's a good job Albion fans didn't vote with their feet when Archer was in control then wasn't it ?

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone taking the piss out of Blackburn's gates is a clueless bell end who probably isn't a proper fan of this club or at least has no idea of our history. If they did, they'd have some understanding.

Blackburn is about a third the size of Brighton with no catchment area and two clubs within 10 miles of Ewood. A gate of 27,000 there as they had a couple of times last season is probably the equivalent of us getting 45,000 which is of course impossible.

And even if their gates arent good for now and there wasn't a protest against Kean, people would do well to remember our truly GASH attendances a few years before the dark days set in - we couldn't even manage a 10k average in the 1990 play off final season, and whilst gates generally weren't as big back then, that was still truly pathetic.

Top post.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a good job Albion fans didn't vote with their feet when Archer was in control then wasn't it ?
But they did. You're re-writing history if you say otherwise.

It was only when it became clear we were going to lose our ground that people understood the gravity of the situation. The season of the York riot, we must have averaged about 4,500 in what is now league one. That 8 mins against York was watched by an out-of-character crowd of 9,700 or so, but the rest of the season was blighted by complete apathy. It was only once support had been truly galvanised into action against the board that the crowds came back to any great extent.

Blackburn are a long way of extinction despite the best efforts of the idiots running the club, so of course mere apathy is to be expected up there.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cold and Draughty Railway Station

September 17th 1983. Albion have just been relegated from the top flight and are playing a home game in the second tier. Attendance? 11,735.

Pretty much where Blackburn are at with their home attendance yesterday.

But this was at a low point for attendances nationwide. There was only 5,060 at the corresponding away match. And at Maine Road against promotion contenders 24,562 which was more the previous Division 1 Fixture and more than the the following season when they actually did get promoted.

Albion's attendances have always been restricted by the size of the ground/dirt track/arena/stadium and might still be? That and pictures of Stalag 17 on the TV that looked a bit like the Goldstone in its latter days.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
While having a dig at a club whose fans are against the owners is OK?

No. Not really meaning to have a dig. Sorry it came across like that. I just think for a match when one is top of the table, 12000 is a very poor gate. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, we also suffered very low gates pre Gillingham and Withdean, this was also very poor. I remember watching the crowds drop when we were relegated from division one in '83. I was bitterly disappointed then but now realise that is what happens when a club is in trouble or on the wane.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
But they did. You're re-writing history if you say otherwise.

It was only when it became clear we were going to lose our ground that people understood the gravity of the situation. The season of the York riot, we must have averaged about 4,500 in what is now league one. That 8 mins against York was watched by an out-of-character crowd of 9,700 or so, but the rest of the season was blighted by complete apathy. It was only once support had been truly galvanised into action against the board that the crowds came back to any great extent.

Blackburn are a long way of extinction despite the best efforts of the idiots running the club, so of course mere apathy is to be expected up there.
It was a 6k average that season in which was pretty good for 4th division football.
I don't get why many compare our crowds in the dark days to blackburn's now,fack me blackburn have a lovely stadium and are top of the tree,they have ambitious owners who have spent millions upon millions,this is not hard bloody times,did we have any of that?
Blackburn have had sustained support in the prem for 20 odd years,all this boycotting bollocks is bollocks,truth is in those parts they're as plastic as can be,they will all flock back amazingly if they get promoted,it's the same for most of these clubs with poor crowds,many just want prem football end of,blackburn have always had poor 2nd tier attendances anyway.

I bet if leeds go up this season they won't have trouble filling elland road in the prem,this season they say ticket prices are to expensive and bates is a cu*t,that will disappear i can assure you if prem football arrives.

Yes times are hard but it's quiet ironic how fans suddenly find the money for premiership football.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
While having a dig at a club whose fans are against the owners is OK?
Come on kinky get real,blackburn have a manager who is backed by the board,this board have spend what 12/14 million on players,what is so bad about that?christ most crisis clubs have no money and debts plus many other problems.

I would say blackburn fans need a reality check,they have cheap ST's aswell compared to most.

Look how cheap...
2012-13 Season Ticket Prices

£20 for many games

Last edited:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Finally somebody who is talking a bit of sense!

really!? I started the thread because I simply thought less than 13000 for a club at the top of the table and having recently been in the premier league and having won it previously is absolutely shithouse. According to Simster however that makes me a clueless bellend who is not a proper fan of the Albion and knows f*** all about them?! I'm not sure how not having an in depth knowledge of Blackburn and their historic crowds is related to the Albion but that comment makes the poster more of a bellend I think. Neither was I taking the piss out of Blackburn fans I just think the attendance was shit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Come on kinky get real,blackburn have a manager who is backed by the board,this board have spend what 12/14 million on players,what is so bad about that?christ most crisis clubs have no money and debts plus many other problems.

I would say blackburn fans need a reality check,they have cheap ST's aswell compared to most.

Look how cheap...
2012-13 Season Ticket Prices

£20 for many games

Backed the manager after they went down with and whimper and after they had picked up millions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here