Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12,772 at Blackburn!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We sold more pies and pints at home to Wednesday than people in blackburns ground last night

Blackburn have been in the top flight more times over the previous five seasons than we have in our entire history.

(See, anyone can post stuff like this!)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There's some truth in this but comparing the last game at the Goldstone is unfair. The club were in big trouble, the football was dire etc. Blackburn are, however, top of the league. Poor, poor, poor.

It's always the way that negatives against us can be explained away, justified, shown to be in extenuating circumstances.

It's always the way that things / stats that put others in a bad light are never afforded the same generosity and are taken at face value.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's always the way that negatives against us can be explained away, justified, shown to be in extenuating circumstances.

It's always the way that things / stats that put others in a bad light are never afforded the same generosity and are taken at face value.

I am all for fairness tbh. But you compared us in division 4 with them in the top spot in division 2. Hardly fair. But as someone said, Blackburn get good crowds when one takes into account the local catchment area (man u, Liverpool, Everton, Citeh etc).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone taking the piss out of Blackburn's gates is a clueless bell end who probably isn't a proper fan of this club or at least has no idea of our history. If they did, they'd have some understanding.

Blackburn is about a third the size of Brighton with no catchment area and two clubs within 10 miles of Ewood. A gate of 27,000 there as they had a couple of times last season is probably the equivalent of us getting 45,000 which is of course impossible.

And even if their gates arent good for now and there wasn't a protest against Kean, people would do well to remember our truly GASH attendances a few years before the dark days set in - we couldn't even manage a 10k average in the 1990 play off final season, and whilst gates generally weren't as big back then, that was still truly pathetic.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Blackburn's attendance tonight....

With a rather limited major honours list, and no appearance in the top flight in over the last 25 years, we're going to have to sustain our very recent high attendances for at least a decade (rather than little over a season) if we want to be considered a 'big club.'

I'm inclined to agree with this. Albion are buzzing and the potential is there for all to see. There's so much excitement around our club at the mo. I also don't think we're feeling the recession as badly as some parts of the country & there's more dispensable money for people to blow on beer, pies & a day at the Albion. Its great seeing this fantastic club flourish but we need to sustain it over a long period of time to be really taken seriously as a club even the size of say Sheff Wed.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How many holes in Blackburn, Lanacashire?

I'm inclined to agree with this. Albion are buzzing and the potential is there for all to see. There's so much excitement around our club at the mo. I also don't think we're feeling the recession as badly as some parts of the country & there's more dispensable money for people to blow on beer, pies & a day at the Albion. Its great seeing this fantastic club flourish but we need to sustain it over a long period of time to be really taken seriously as a club even the size of say Sheff Wed.

Brighton is a below average prosperity area. We do seem to feel the recession later than other parts of the country and prosperous places like Reading and Oxford do not have recessions.

Ironically, we are on the up again during a recession. However, I think it was the poor facilities at the Goldstone were hugely to blame for the dips and falls before. Newcomers went once and not again because the view was bad and it was overcrowded.

It would be interesting to know the make-up of the crowd, age groups, marital status etc. The pattern in the last recession was that the married men stayed away. Or fans got married and then stopped going.

I think our crowds are still some way below what we could attract. Many regulars in the past now only go occasionally. These are in the older age groups who were used to a more casual approach at watching football (e.g. turning up on the day and paying).

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I have a strong dislike of Blackburn.

Albion v Blackburn was my first game in 1977 when we were on the rise. So, as you can imagine, I've never got my head around Blackburn being above us in the league at all. I remember when they won (bought) the premiership sitting in disbelief that Blackburn (Blackburn! - spit it out everybody!), that Blackburn had won the bloody league.

I will dislike them even more if they go up, and after Palace, this is one set of games I really want us to win.

Oh, and I hate Bolton too. Boring and Gartside is an arrogant fool.

Agree with this... hate Bolton with a passion and Bburn aint much better...

I think i generally hate most northern teams.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gates seem to be down everywhere, not just Blackburn. Leeds v Hull was under 20k which is absolutely rubbish and Birmingham only got 14,500 for Bolton.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The first time I watched Blackburn and Bolton was in dark days for both teams in Division 3 in 1971-72. I did not know any better than lower division football used only to Division 3 and 4.

Away draw at Bolton 1-1 before 5,209 fans and an away draw at Blackburn before a crowd of 8,558.

Home was 3-0 to the Albion before 23,269, and a 1-1 draw against Bolton before a 25,074 crowd.

Next time was in 1977-78 in Division 2 when the crowds were Bolton (a) 1-1, 21,405, Blackburn (a) 1-0, 10,178 and the respective home games were Blackburn (h) 2-2, 26,647, and Bolton (h) 1-1, 27,430. the following home game in the next season was 26,141, so they were all big games at the Goldstone back then.

Both Lancashire clubs were in higher divisions for almost all our history.

Last edited:

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Anyone taking the piss out of Blackburn's gates is a clueless bell end who probably isn't a proper fan of this club or at least has no idea of our history. If they did, they'd have some understanding.

Blackburn is about a third the size of Brighton with no catchment area and two clubs within 10 miles of Ewood. A gate of 27,000 there as they had a couple of times last season is probably the equivalent of us getting 45,000 which is of course impossible.

And even if their gates arent good for now and there wasn't a protest against Kean, people would do well to remember our truly GASH attendances a few years before the dark days set in - we couldn't even manage a 10k average in the 1990 play off final season, and whilst gates generally weren't as big back then, that was still truly pathetic.

Finally somebody who is talking a bit of sense!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Gates seem to be down everywhere, not just Blackburn. Leeds v Hull was under 20k which is absolutely rubbish and Birmingham only got 14,500 for Bolton.

The extortionate cost of match day tickets is starting to have an affect throughout the league. I'd imagine we'll be one of only 2 or 3 clubs that have a higher average attendance than last season.

what a pathetic attendance from the league leaders. Apathy really seems to have set in there. We are still leading the league in average attendance figures yet the media seem obsessed by all the ex-premiership clubs. At what point are we allowed to call ourselves a big club?

not a bad crowd! Recall 77/78 season they could only get 10k against us for a top of the table clash,with 2k of us there!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Slightly off topic but while we're on shit home crowds read this from a Forest fan on Football Forums last night:

And that Seven Nation Army, and the repetitive thumping, is the dullest, most draining experience I have ever stood through! Does that ever help create an atmosphere?

Oh how true it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here