Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I reckon this is a pointless debate until accounts are released.

Our expenditure is obviously going to be greater (than it could have been) due to moving into a new stadium (training staff, one off setup costs and so on) and one off purchases to bridge the gap between the two leagues.

Both chairmen have said they want to run the club on a break even basis. Palace believe Bloom is lying. Brighton believe [insert chairmans name] is lying.

We have the bonus of an influx of interest for the day zero of Amex and off the back of a highly successful campaign, but that is not going to last forever.

We are very, VERY lucky that one man has picked up the tab for our ground and that he will not be charging interest on the sum owed. I don't think there is another example of that in the football league, certainly not to the tune of £100m.

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
I reckon this is a pointless debate until accounts are released.

Our expenditure is obviously going to be greater (than it could have been) due to moving into a new stadium (training staff, one off setup costs and so on) and one off purchases to bridge the gap between the two leagues.

Both chairmen have said they want to run the club on a break even basis. Palace believe Bloom is lying. Brighton believe [insert chairmans name] is lying.

We have the bonus of an influx of interest for the day zero of Amex and off the back of a highly successful campaign, but that is not going to last forever.

We are very, VERY lucky that one man has picked up the tab for our ground and that he will not be charging interest on the sum owed. I don't think there is another example of that in the football league, certainly not to the tune of £100m.

Cant disagree with any of that, goodnight ;-)

Sep 28, 2011
Attendance was embarrassing, no shadow of doubt.
Thing is, financial times are hard. People are earning the same, but train fares etc are going up. Also 8pm kick offs means I didn't get home till gone midnight and I'm only the other side of SE London, and with me getting an earlier train - not really attractive for families. Also, with 3 local away games in a row (you, Watford and Ipswich), as well as a Cup home game next tuesday, we have a lot of games to spend your dosh. If you're a Palace supporter, would you choose West Ham where we had 22k, or Bristol City on a freezing Tuesday night? Not to mention less than 400 travelling supporters.
You lot have the new stadium and League factor - we don't have that, therefore your gates will be higher then ours, before someone mentions it.
Understandable, but sickening all the same :(

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Attendances will always flutuate...up and down like a nympho's bum...KO time does make a diffence,weather...will be interesting though to see what the attendance will be for a non Albion game (England U19s)...anywhere near 11869...???

how on earth have you come to that conclusion. We have 20,000+ individuals buying programmes, food and drinks, as well as using the fans' bar and the restaurant in the east stand. Around 3000 of these fans have also paid for their tickets in addition to the supplementaries. Conversely, you attract attendances of 12,000. Assuming you have 6000 season ticket holder (a low estimate i would have thought), you are only receiving the value of 6000 tickets plus 12,000 fans spending on the supplementaries (compared to our 20,000+).

Add into this fact that your stadium, since it is considerably older, requires a great deal more expenditure in terms of maintenance when averaged out per game.

i don't buy refreshments the time it takes is appalling! Many thousands don't bother! More each game i think! Tb sort out the caterers!:moo:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thing is, financial times are hard. People are earning the same, but train fares etc are going up. Also 8pm kick offs means I didn't get home till gone midnight and I'm only the other side of SE London, and with me getting an earlier train - not really attractive for families. Also, with 3 local away games in a row (you, Watford and Ipswich), as well as a Cup home game next tuesday, we have a lot of games to spend your dosh. If you're a Palace supporter, would you choose West Ham where we had 22k, or Bristol City on a freezing Tuesday night? Not to mention less than 400 travelling supporters.
You lot have the new stadium and League factor - we don't have that, therefore your gates will be higher then ours, before someone mentions it.
Don't be too hard on yourself, once things level out here and the novelty wears off; assuming we don't go up (or down!) in the next few years we too will probably be getting around 12,000 for a midweek game against one of the weaker and less-glamorous sides in this division.

So this finally puts an end to those threads/posts from Palace supporters claiming to have a bigger fan base than the Albion.

Nice to see the Holmesdale" Fanatics" are now boycotting home games as well as away games - not quite so fanatical then ?

What with cup attendances at Palace slumping to 5,000 and league games 11,000 I hate to think what will happen if the team fail to perform on the pitch. The owners will have to reconsider building that 40k all seater stadium - I hear Withdean is still free.

:albion2:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I dont agree, the season ticket money is gone, we make more cash per game than you.

Our season ticket money is gone?

You know that most of us are paying monthly direct debits for our season tickets? There's probably not a club elsewhere in the country that has a cashflow as steady and regular as us.

Sep 28, 2011
So this finally puts an end to those threads/posts from Palace supporters claiming to have a bigger fan base than the Albion.

Nice to see the Holmesdale" Fanatics" are now boycotting home games as well as away games - not quite so fanatical then ?

What with cup attendances at Palace slumping to 5,000 and league games 11,000 I hate to think what will happen if the team fail to perform on the pitch. The owners will have to reconsider building that 40k all seater stadium - I hear Withdean is still free.

:albion2:

Come again?
A full group prescence last night from the HF mate...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I saw them rather cute cheerleaders on tv this morning at Shithurst... the seats behind were empty. We need them hotties, let's do a Murray and swoop.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your gate was only just 20,000 for West Ham, not 22k - and even then that included 4,000 from West Ham plus a few pockets of them in the home end.

Oh, and when Wilfried does eventually join Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Man United/Man City, we'll have another youngster ready to take his place. At the moment it looks like it'll be Jon Williams, just turned 17 and was the best player on the pitch against your lot.

Two years ago it was Victor Moses tearing the League apart, now it's Zaha, in two years it'll be someone else. That's how the academy conveyor belt works.

I thought you said it was one of the big four - now you quote five - it will probably end up as the less big twenty.

Sep 28, 2011
Your gate was only just 20,000 for West Ham, not 22k - and even then that included 4,000 from West Ham plus a few pockets of them in the home end.
"Pockets of West Ham fans"? Bollocks, a handful in the entire ground at best, some of our Nigels just love picking holes in things and exagerating though.
My mistake about the 22k, you were correct.
Other then that, my point stands :)

Sep 28, 2011
I thought you said it was one of the big four - now you quote five - it will probably end up as the less big twenty.

Zaha will defiantly end up at a top 4 side pal, Brizzle had 2 men on him all game and he even managed to put one of them on his backside with his skill, and scored a peach that was disallowed for no reason whatsoever.
MUCH better then VicMo at the same age.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Pockets of West Ham fans"? Bollocks, a handful in the entire ground at best, some of our Nigels just love picking holes in things and exagerating though.
My mistake about the 22k, you were correct.
Other then that, my point stands :)
Of course I'm correct. If you'd had a single gate higher than anything we have managed, we wouldn't hear the end of it by one the many geeky Nigels who have made it a lifestyle choice to bore the shit out of us on our own board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here