Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

102 Minutes That Changed America

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
RIP Robert Eaton.

Always remember, we lost a fellow fan and North Stand Chat poster that morning. :down:

I remember chatting with the affable Robert in the matchday NSC chat room, and him mentioning his workplace. Watching the events unfolding when I woke up early (6 am) dozily watching the news, it dawned on me to worry about our comrade in Albion. I was hoping that helicopters would be airlifting people off the roofs, but that didn't happen.

One of the most unbelievable aspects of the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy is that the official Memorial will not be open until 10 years after the event.

The company I work for has a small involvement on the project and as such has been able to witness firsthand the staggering incompetence and arrogance of the Port Authority of New York, Larry Silverstein and the other parties involved. They were far more concerned with in fighting and scoring brownie points than carrying out their brief which was to construct a fitting memorial for the families and friends of the victims.

For a while the whole WTC Memorial project became completely overwhelmed by the budgetary issues and complexity of the design - it was only after a press campaign that Mayor Bloomberg stepped in and demanded that a final budget and completion date be agreed that things started to get back on track. Even now there is still some doubt that it will be complete by 9/11 in 2011 and the original design has been dumbed down considerably.

Many New Yorkers believe that a much simpler project should have been built which could have been finished years ago like the one at the Pentagon in Washington.

So, after more than 7 years, there is only really a big hole in the ground, some steelwork and the names of the victims on billboards - hardly a fitting tribute to Robert Eaton and the others.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Im currently sitting oposite the building site that was WTC and is to become the Freedom Tower and its still an eery sight - even from 32 floors up - you can see it up close and personal if you take the PATH train to NJ as the station sits at the bottom of the huge hole

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ok, I respect the thought you've put into the reply there and it's good to see someone actually giving thought and making good, valid points rather than just dismissing. Debate is good.

But when a Boeing 737 crashes into one of the most guarded buildings in the world and people on the ground, watching the entire thing unfold, don't all see the same things, that seems off to me.

The fact that it wasnt a 737 seems a bit off too me also lol

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm kinda with you NE...i watched "Loose Change" last week while i was over in NYC and found it really interesting.

everything about that documentary added up...for those that havent seen it its well worth a watch.

It's a good film and I found it quite balanced, others won't agree I know. But when I saw it, I thought it was perfectly fair and accurate, they made bold claims and then quoted sources and facts to support what they were saying. It was well made and raised alot of interesting questions I thought. I think the important to remember though, is that whatever happened, people died. And that's the tragedy of it, and the reason people are so determined to find answers.

The BBC did a very interesting programme on why the buildings collapsed in such and such a way and why therefore conspiracy theories were misplaced. Again. It was a stand-alone doc, very good.

I also saw that programme and thought it was interesting, but nothing new. People saying that the fire damage and the impact were enough to weaken the structure and therefore, lead to the collapse. Put bluntly, I don't believe that personally. I don't believe it is possible that what that happened there was caused *just* by the impacts, I think there was something else going on, which won't ever be shared. But that said, I don't pretend to know what that is, other than looking at theories and the evidence supporting them. I think it is very likely that there were secondary devices which caused the collapse.

Maybe they were designed that way, after all when they were built, as the tallest in the world, surely the architect forsaw the possibilty of a collapse which would be far "safer" going straight down than to topple over destroying many other buildings in the process.

Maybe they were, but I would question that. How can you design that sort of thing? How can you design a building to collapse in on itself should it be required?! Possible I suppose, but I am a cynic and shall remain so.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm kinda with you NE...i watched "Loose Change" last week while i was over in NYC and found it really interesting.

everything about that documentary added up...for those that havent seen it its well worth a watch.

Yeah it has been completely torn apart. I thought it was amazing when I first saw it but, watching it again after seeing various documentaries it just seems like a one sided load of tosh from an uninformed, opinionated student.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here