Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 Annoying things that Brits do abroad

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Same could be said for both sexys, surely?

No.10 - Complaining about hot weather
No.9 - "Lads on Tour" T-Shirts
No.8 - Reading rubbish books
No.7 - Flesh on display
No.6 - Ogling women
No.5 - Expecting English
No.4 - Bad holiday fashion
No.3 - Full English breakfast
No.2 - Loutish behaviour
No.1 - Not exploring

as for me probably 6 and 7, and 2 in my younger days
1 and 5 are my pet hates of English people that go abroad, and I have fallen out with friends on holiday because of it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Same could be said for both sexys, surely?

No.10 - Complaining about hot weather
No.9 - "Lads on Tour" T-Shirts
No.8 - Reading rubbish books
No.7 - Flesh on display
No.6 - Ogling women
No.5 - Expecting English
No.4 - Bad holiday fashion
No.3 - Full English breakfast
No.2 - Loutish behaviour
No.1 - Not exploring

as for me probably 6 and 7, and 2 in my younger days
1 and 5 are my pet hates of English people that go abroad, and I have fallen out with friends on holiday because of it

Yes. It's certainly my experience that women complain more about weather than blokes do.

I don't think Brits are too bad at expecting English either - Americans are far, far worse but I do agree about 1 - that's something that the British are very prone to do.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Apart from the book one, I saw examples of ALL the other 9 last night in Prague :smile:

Although to be fair, even after living here for nearly four years, you just cant help ogling women here!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Americans are far, far worse

In a way that is very surprising, if true. On the one hand you have the old stat about on 7% of Americans jhaving passports etc., in which case they would probably only want/expect English - but don't forget that large portions of the US population is made up of 2nd generation Italians, Spanish, Polish, Mexicans etc., so they are likely to have a knowledge of other languages at least.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In a way that is very surprising, if true. On the one hand you have the old stat about on 7% of Americans jhaving passports etc., in which case they would probably only want/expect English - but don't forget that large portions of the US population is made up of 2nd generation Italians, Spanish, Polish, Mexicans etc., so they are likely to have a knowledge of other languages at least.

Yes, that's true. But many of the second generation are among those who don't have passports.

I'm going on my own experience. in the last 20 years I've travelled to many international conferences and events, probably more than 100 and have gone out in the evenings with groups of attendees. In all that time, I've not met one American who spoke another language while there are plenty of Brits who do.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The funny thing is they show the odd tv show about Brits on holidays and there's always the loutish lads giving it all they have and acting like twats around the locals.

Yet I know there's plenty of Brits out here but I've never seen them act that way here.

Do they act differently in say Spain than they would here?

Are they more wary our locals will belt them one as compared to the Spanish for example?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
#11 are too polite and well mannered and do not elbow their way or edge panicked towards every departure gate/ski lift/coach transfer/queue of any type, making them look foolish compared to the far more sophisticated foreigner.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And Americans are no way as bad as The British.

They are the world leaders when it comes to asking stupid questions of the locals.

They'll ask:

In Ireland: About Leprechauns existence and where can they see one
In Australia; Whether Kangaroos can be found on every corner
In England: What chance there is to see a Royal (while they are in Devon)

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Having just spent a week in Le Mans I can safely say I saw most of the above from the Englsh contingent - pretty pathetic to be honest...However I can also say I saw some fairly disgusting French and German behaviour as well....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Quite a few feel the need to give an impression of 'being hard'... and you do hear some very exagerated cockney accents...

Manchester blokes seem to favour tracksuits still!!!!

Having said that, the women favour English men, so gives you an idea of the level of Czech men.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They are the world leaders when it comes to asking stupid questions of the locals.

They'll ask:

In Ireland: About Leprechauns existence and where can they see one
In Australia; Whether Kangaroos can be found on every corner
In England: What chance there is to see a Royal (while they are in Devon)

Yeah they are pretty stupid, however they are nice people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People wearing football shirts.

Why?

And Americans are no way as bad as The British.

Go to either New Orleans or Miami on Spring break and you'll think differently. Miami esp.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Travelling americans can be dumb, but they don't generally strip off, hang their hairy dog leg toes out of their thongs, get pissed as parrots and sing god save the queen, before toppling over in the noon sun when its 36 degrees and suffering 3rd degree burns....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Heard an American woman ask where the tram stop was...

Czech: Where do you want to go.

American woman: back to the hotel.

This is like that old joke:

Passenger to bus driver: "can I have a return please?"
bus driver: "where to"
Passenger: "back here"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Go to either New Orleans or Miami on Spring break and you'll think differently. Miami esp.

I have been to Miami and Cancun during spring break and yes it was rowdy, however they are mainly kids, if you go to places like Ibiza it tends to be adults that are acting up and being chav's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here