Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Airways management - TWATS

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Depends how much you care or want your job, if it would help my company to survive I would do it if requested.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The clock is ticking for the first tediously self absorbed post mentioning 'oh no I am flying with them next week to New York on business/Greece/Sydney Gay Pride *delete as appropriate - I hope I will be alright and they wont cancel my flight'.

They are in big trouble in little china though, thats for sure. I hope that too many people dont get shafted by this.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Half my company are on 3 day weeks at the moment, it's happening all over.

Arguably BA were excessively reliant on the transatlantic business market at the expense of competing on other (leisure) routes, but there's not much they could have done to avert most (if not all) of the circumstances they now face.

Asking employees for this is a better first step than leaping straight to compulsory redundancies, IMHO. If they get a reasonable number of volunteers, it might even save jobs, in the long run.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As somebody who used to work for one of their competitors I don't have much sympathy. Consdidering the were bailed out by the Tory Governement to the tune of £1000,000,000 to fatten them up to be privatised when I and my collegues were working for far smaller salaries I couldn't care less if BA went bust.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
British Airways asks staff to work for nothing | This is Money

Unbelievable. Apparently the boss is prepared to work free for a whole month forgoing his 61,000k salary lol

So are we going to start seeing other companies doing this. Any chance of working for nothing, since we dont want to pay you anymore.

I think they are being given the option to "work" or simply take the extra holiday.

There are a few companies doing similiar.

I guess it's preferable to losing your job, but what I'd have an issue with is whether those willing to work for nothing are "noted" as being a bit more loyal than those simply not coming in.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No problem, take an unpaid month off and spread the hit over 3 months sounds fair to me!

I am actually flying to Miami with them at the weekend :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The clock is ticking for the first tediously self absorbed post mentioning 'oh no I am flying with them next week to New York on business/Greece/Sydney Gay Pride *delete as appropriate - I hope I will be alright and they wont cancel my flight'.

They are in big trouble in little china though, thats for sure. I hope that too many people dont get shafted by this.

SHIT! I'm flying to England from Little China next week! Hope my flight's...

We were just discussing this in the office. Can't be a good sign for a company to make £401m losses and then ask staff to work for free.

If BA went then up to 30k jobs (that's apparently the number of people they employ in the UK) could go. That would be disastrous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
yeah, twats. asking them to work for nothing! would be much better if they just laid off a bunch of people, right? :rolleyes:

They have cut their workforce by so much over the last few years that they'd be f***ed when the expected upturn comes, otherwise I'd have no doubts they would be laying people off.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The fact is that BA staff are overpaid compared to other airlines. This is why they lose money as much as anything else. Anybody seen Virgin laying staff off ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We were just discussing this in the office. Can't be a good sign for a company to make £401m losses and then ask staff to work for free.

If BA went then up to 30k jobs (that's apparently the number of people they employ in the UK) could go. That would be disastrous.

They have been doing very well for a while now and this is the 1st loss they've had for ages. They made £883 million profit this time last year, so I wouldn't worry too much about them as most other airlines will fold long before BA. Nice touch from the number crunchers at BA to scare their staff into saving them a bit imo.

Last edited:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
How things have changed....
Recall getting a 13 week pay bonus during my time at BA probably about 10 / 11 years ago and then a 40 week redundancy package 7 years ago.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How things have changed....
Recall getting a 13 week pay bonus during my time at BA probably about 10 / 11 years ago and then a 40 week redundancy package 7 years ago.

I think staff still get pretty well unlimited free travel for themselves and their families, which can't help in peak season when the planes are stuffed with free or heavily subsidised staff travelling on premium routes on full aircraft.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think staff still get pretty well unlimited free travel for themselves and their families, which can't help in peak season when the planes are stuffed with free or heavily subsidised staff travelling on premium routes on full aircraft.

Those 'free flights' are 'Sub Load' which means that they are subject to the load, if there are seats free you can travel otherwise you can't.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Those 'free flights' are 'Sub Load' which means that they are subject to the load, if there are seats free you can travel otherwise you can't.

But the heavily discounted ones are guaranteed though. I know someone who got 8 business class seats to Cape Town, from a relative who works for BA, over this Xmas period returning early Jan ( which is absolute peak season and guaranteed to sell out) at 2k a ticket when the cheapest available seats on BA.com were around 5k. Do that a few times and that is a hell of a whack to take on profits?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here