Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Airways management - TWATS

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The OP seems to have something against BA, this seems like a very clever way of cutting costs without cutting jobs, the money is taken out of salaries of a period of several months so its not as if they just arnt getting paid one month and not paying the bills or anything.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Have they been having a chat with Ryanair management, to glean stupid ideas to get publicity?

They want staff to work for nothing for between a week and a month :bla:

BBC NEWS | Business | BA asks staff to work for nothing

Good to see the boss is leading the way by giving up a months salary of £61k

it is a joke to be honest, however, on the link it says they can have between a week or a months unpaid leave aswell as working. I reckon they'll just have a months holiday haha :L

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I read an interview with Branson the other day in which he claimed that BA are pleading poverty because they want to merge with American Airlines (which the regulator has stopped them doing in the past). So, he'd argue, it's a PR/sympathy stunt.

But realistically, how many ordinary people can forego a month's wages? We have mortages/rents to pay. They made big profits last year, they should have set some aside. f*** 'em.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But the heavily discounted ones are guaranteed though. I know someone who got 8 business class seats to Cape Town, from a relative who works for BA, over this Xmas period returning early Jan ( which is absolute peak season and guaranteed to sell out) at 2k a ticket when the cheapest available seats on BA.com were around 5k. Do that a few times and that is a hell of a whack to take on profits?

In my experence British Airways staff have always thought they were better than the rest and deserving of such perks. Personally I would only fly BA if nobody else went that route. They are not the worst airline but there are plenty of better ones.

I hope they decide to work for nothing (bearing in mnd the present employment situation as well) but know BA their staff would rather strike.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd work for free but I would want contracted conditions such as :

> No shareholder dividends for the year
> When the company next delivers a profit of £x's I'd want to be paid for the work

I guess deferred pay rather than no pay in a way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In my experence British Airways staff have always thought they were better than the rest and deserving of such perks. Personally I would only fly BA if nobody else went that route. They are not the worst airline but there are plenty of better ones.

QUOTE]

I work with BA quite a bit and although they are a penny pinching bunch of bastards as a company I find their airport staff and on board service pretty good. It costs 50p a minute to speak to them as travel trade and as 90% of the calls we make to them are to rectify problems caused by them, we end up with fecking ridiculous charges every month as most conversations last at least 5 mins. They pretty well have a monopoly hence the arrogant f*** you business attitude that comes from the top but as an airline to fly with they can't be faulted imo.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

QUOTE]

I work with BA quite a bit and although they are a penny pinching bunch of bastards as a company I find their airport staff and on board service pretty good. It costs 50p a minute to speak to them as travel trade and as 90% of the calls we make to them are to rectify problems caused by them, we end up with fecking ridiculous charges every month as most conversations last at least 5 mins. They pretty well have a monopoly hence the arrogant f*** you business attitude that comes from the top but as an airline to fly with they can't be faulted imo.

I have nothing against BA but I remember them from years ago and it seems that their attitude is still there. There are better and cheaper airlines out there. As far as their attitude goes it starts at the top but works it's way down the ranks so as I have said, I have very little sympathy for their staff.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Remember most other airlines (budget ones, Virgin etc.) cherry-pick competitive routes which is how they can survive. BA fly to more destinations than any other airline. This must create considerable additional operational costs.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. This must create considerable additional operational costs.

and apart from the last 1/4 considerable additional profits. The last time their profits took a knock was when the cabin crew/airport staff decided to strike in peak season to try and stop the airline changing their conditions? The absolute f*** up their management made of Terminal 5s opening, by insufficient training can't have helped either

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Remember most other airlines (budget ones, Virgin etc.) cherry-pick competitive routes which is how they can survive. BA fly to more destinations than any other airline. This must create considerable additional operational costs.

Where'd you get that idea from ? Actually it's BA that has the 'Cherry Picked' routes not the smaller airlines. Why do you think they are based at Heathrow when the likes of Easyjet are at Luton and Stansted ? Fact is that most international travellers want to go to Heathrow as that is the place where most destinations interconnect. One of the arguements for expanding Heathrow is that if it doesn't accomodate more flights then people will start using Amsterdam's Schipol Airport as the place to change flights.

BA have had it their way for many years but now they are facing serious competition from the likes of Virgin and Easyjet they need to change their attitude.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BA management took the decision to focus on business travellers just before the business travel market went belly-up. Total f***-up coming on top of the T5 fiasco. For years now they have been chopping away at staff numbers left right and centre. For sure they'll sell the staff down the river first chance they get. IMHO staff should keep drawing their salary while they can. They'll be needing every penny they can get once they're downsized. Any company whose business model relies on not paying their staff is doomed anyway. Why would anyone in their right mind take the food out of their family's mouths and toss it into a black hole of BA's own making? f*** 'em.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
funny how when its BA, a popular target for knocking, they are twats, deserve to be in trouble etc. when its other companies its positive proactive way of dealing with difficult situation they find themselves in. why is that?

many companies have already done similar and im pretty sure this was actually in the papers a couple of months ago. interesting take from Branson on the subject.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
funny how when its BA, a popular target for knocking, they are twats, deserve to be in trouble etc. when its other companies its positive proactive way of dealing with difficult situation they find themselves in. why is that?

If you ever have to work with BA and you may end up thinking differently. The senior management are arrogant twats.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If you ever have to work with BA and you may end up thinking differently. The senior management are arrogant twats.

Okay we get it....you don't like BA! :lol: What's the matter, did they cut your commission?!

All airlines are suffering and they will for a few years yet, I wouldn't be surprised if some more airlines go bust or merge within the next couple of years.

The unions at BA have to get their act together otherwise it's looking bleak for them :glare:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Where'd you get that idea from ?

It's a fact, British Airways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually it's BA that has the 'Cherry Picked' routes not the smaller airlines. Why do you think they are based at Heathrow when the likes of Easyjet are at Luton and Stansted ?

Are you serious? Please tell me which routes BA has started in direct response to another airline. BA are at Heathrow because they are prepared to pay the fees and invest unlike other airlines who also use "out of city airports" such as Ryanair flying to Frankfurt Hahn to reduce their cost base.

Fact is that most international travellers want to go to Heathrow

Got any evidence? I have been travelling on business throughout Europe for >15 years and personally I avoid Heathrow whenever possible as I detest the place. Personally I couldn't think of a worse place to site the worlds busiest airport in terms of passenger numbers. I just hope your right and most of them are in transit and don't actually need to get anywhere other than another flight out after they arrive.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think BA are subsidised for some of the Scottish inter island routes by the UK Government.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think BA are subsidised for some of the Scottish inter island routes by the UK Government.

i think they also get a bunch of cheap/free slots to plum destinations on the agreement they cover others too. as the country's "flag carrier" they are expected to provide services to most countries.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Yes, written by BA of course. I worked for an airline for 10 years and that is rubbish.

Are you serious? Please tell me which routes BA has started in direct response to another airline. BA are at Heathrow because they are prepared to pay the fees and invest unlike other airlines who also use "out of city airports" such as Ryanair flying to Frankfurt Hahn to reduce their cost base.

They already had the routes they wanted, why do you think the likes of Laker, BCal and Dan Air are no longer around ?

Got any evidence? I have been travelling on business throughout Europe for >15 years and personally I avoid Heathrow whenever possible as I detest the place. Personally I couldn't think of a worse place to site the worlds busiest airport in terms of passenger numbers. I just hope your right and most of them are in transit and don't actually need to get anywhere other than another flight out after they arrive.

Well I'm only going by what BA and the BAA say, of course I wouldn't want to trouble you with a little thing like facts. As for your comments on Heathrow please be aware that it's the oldest Major International Airport in the country and that is why it is also the largest. At present it is the busiest International Airport in the world however both Frankfurt and Amsterdam are rapidly overtaking it.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Anyone that agrees to work for nothing is a moron.

Any company needing to ask this of its staff, should just bite the bullet and close down.

f***ing cheeky wankers!!!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Oh, and by the way, the World's busiest airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here