Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Our local NHS sends an email round to all staff towards late afternoon saying something along the lines of 'x number of people haven't turned up for their planned vaccine jab today - so there is spare capacity for staff; first come first served'. Nothing going to waste, health staff getting vaccinated quicker than planned.

Yes was reading the same about other hospitals.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Our local NHS sends an email round to all staff towards late afternoon saying something along the lines of 'x number of people haven't turned up for their planned vaccine jab today - so there is spare capacity for staff; first come first served'. Nothing going to waste, health staff getting vaccinated quicker than planned.

That's a really good idea. I wonder if it'd be possible to extend that offer beyond hospital staff once they've all been done?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That’s fantastic........[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

While that's great, do you know how many people aren't turning up for their jab? It's worrying if this is a common occurrence

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
While that's great, do you know how many people aren't turning up for their jab? It's worrying if this is a common occurrence

I think you just have to assume that a small percentage will not turn up for a number of reasons.

1) Were feeling ill.
2) Couldn't make THAT date
3) Can't be bothered.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think you just have to assume that a small percentage will not turn up for a number of reasons.

1) Were feeling ill.
3) Can't be bothered.

I get that I just thinkb if it's a sizeable amount it's worrying that the process isn't easier in 2) for people to reschedule and the appointment be offered to someone else. Also not sure what else 80 year olds could have on at the moment! And for 3) that would be pretty shocking

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Deaths avoided.jpg

If I correctly understand the graph above, the good news is that we only have to vaccinate around 20% of the population in order to reduce Covid-related deaths by approx 90%....(the numbers in little squares on the graph represent the Priority Groups, and therefore - if we believe Boris - we should get to the point where the death-rate IS reduced by 90% by mid-Feb).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
View attachment 132072

If I correctly understand the graph above, the good news is that we only have to vaccinate around 20% of the population in order to reduce Covid-related deaths by approx 90%....(the numbers in little squares on the graph represent the Priority Groups, and therefore - if we believe Boris - we should get to the point where the death-rate IS reduced by 90% by mid-Feb).

Exactly this, hence the move to one jab initially to get to that 90%+ level asap. There will be a bit of a lag from the current rise in numbers but get this done and we very, very significantly reduce the numbers that will end up in hospital.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
View attachment 132072

Good work. I'd like to see more of this risk management analysis. I also saw the posts above where they think they might get to 5 Million vaccinated a week. If they do then the the entire UK population could be done by April/May. "If" I suppose is the important word, but its possible.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

1) Were feeling ill.
3) Can't be bothered.

I would add the possibility of admin snafus, given the massive logistical challenge going on atm;

1 - letter to wrong address
2 - letter not opened
3 - referred to wrong day
4 - phone call attempted, not picked up etc

Obviously you'd hope these sorts of things would be few and far between, but there will surely be some?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Mrs Peteinblack started her secondment this morning as a COVID vaccinator in Bath - and as a key-worker, received her first jab at 8.45 :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
View attachment 132072

this is really good to illustrate that we dont need to immunise the whole population in one go for effective control of the virus. 50-60% would probably be sufficient, at least to return to something near normality.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Umbilical cord stem cells implanted into Covid patients improve survival chances, study suggests

An experimental treatment involving stem cells from umbilical cords could significantly reduce deaths and quicken recovery time for patients suffering the most severe form of Covid-19, a study suggests.

In a study conducted by scientists at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, they reported a 91 per cent survival rate in seriously ill patients given the stem cell infusion, compared to 42 per cent in a second group who did not receive it.

Obviously as we know these things can take a long time to filter through, however I see this sort of thing as positive more for keeping deaths low, once we've fully gotten on top of the virus.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
90 year old mum due to get her first jab on Friday. That has made my day knowing the risk to her will soon (hopefully) be at lots less.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
74 year old mum doesn't have to go back to work as a dinner lady until at least the middle of February, at which time she should hopefully have had her first dose of the vaccine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Daily vaccination numbers being published from start of next week onwards. This will help a sense of progression through this last lockdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here