Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
This thread is all part of the grieving process for Billy Stubb's Tears, so don't give him too hard a time. I'd be devastated too in his position. Let's just hope Sharp's injury isn't as bad as first feared.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone who has played the game recognises the difference between a tackle that is aimed at the ball and misses the other bloke's leg by a foot and one that is never aimed at the ball and hits the leg full on. One might look bad in the heat of the moment but does nothing more than ruffle the hair. The other puts lads in hospital. Guess which one was which today.

I have played the game to a significant level and whilst your rationale and arguments are well put across, the fact is that Naylor was off the ground and not in control, which makes his challenge more dangerous than Lewis Dunk's. The other issue is that Sharp's leg was planted where as Ashley was in motion, which helped him ride the challenge. The trouble is (particularly from your perspective) is that Sharp has got a nasty injury and I think that is unfortunate. I think yellow was right, as it was a tackle from behind. Although Naylor could've been red, I prefer to see players remain on the pitch.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This thread is all part of the grieving process for Billy Stubb's Tears, so don't give him too hard a time. I'd be devastated too in his position. Let's just hope Sharp's injury isn't as bad as first feared.

So if it turns out that he hasn't actually broken his leg in 3 places and there's no need to grieve, can we safely assume a repeat visit to NSC from Billy Stubbs' Tears accompanied by a 'sorry lads...a complete over-reaction from my part...won't happen again...see you all at the Keepmoat...'?

Looking forward to it.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
It was a horrible tackle, looked even worse on the replays, he truly clobbers his standing ankle with both feet, definitely should have been a red.

But then Spurr could easily have gone for two yellows in 5 minutes on Lua-Lua and the knee high tackle on Barnes was a straight red all day long, amazed when he only gave a yellow - I was certain he was off

Agreed. 50/50 red in my opinion for Dunks takle.

Tackle on Barnes was truely horrendous Iv seen the replays aswell and each time i cant belive how luck he was! Donny player threw himself studs first at Barnes knee, only Barnes quick last second pull away prevented a serious injury!

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Tried to read all this, but couldnt.
Dont care who did it, dont care if he's the devil, or a shrinking violet. Dont care if they were red cards. Dont care if Gus Poyet is a hit man with mafia connections.
Our best strikers are out, possibly for the season, in the first game. Billy and Hayts are wonderful players and both deserve to succeed... I really thought that they would this season. Until we get final prognosis we wont know, but I feel totally shattered; first for the two young lads, and second for me as a lifelong Rovers supporter.
Yesterday was the worst day in the 40 years I've had supporting my club. Forget the relegations, we could see them coming... but this! The sadness and hopelessness is just overwhelming and I just dont care about the whys and wherefores.
Time to band together and really show the shithouses of the media that reports of Doncasters death have been greatly exaggerated.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did Hayter kick his teamate or was it Calderon`s head that he made contact with to pick up his terrible injury.Maybe Calderon should have been given a red for sticking his nut that close to Hayter`s boot. Thuggish stuff.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Dont care who did it, dont care if he's the devil, or a shrinking violet. Dont care if they were red cards. Dont care if Gus Poyet is a hit man with mafia connections.
Our best strikers are out, possibly for the season, in the first game. Billy and Hayts are wonderful players and both deserve to succeed... I really thought that they would this season. Until we get final prognosis we wont know, but I feel totally shattered; first for the two young lads, and second for me as a lifelong Rovers supporter.
Yesterday was the worst day in the 40 years I've had supporting my club. Forget the relegations, we could see them coming... but this! The sadness and hopelessness is just overwhelming and I just dont care about the whys and wherefores.
Time to band together and really show the shithouses of the media that reports of Doncasters death have been greatly exaggerated.

We'd feel exactly the same if we had 7 players on the injury list and lost another two yesterday. Hope they recover soon.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm sure you could get Glenda Murray on loan from Palarse if you're that short of strikers.

As I said earlier, hope it's not as serious as first thought and he'll recover in time to save you from the drop.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
We'd feel exactly the same if we had 7 players on the injury list and lost another two yesterday. Hope they recover soon.

Agree, but the spiteful comments DRFC fans are plastering over Dunks twitter page are shocking. Loads of people calling a 19yr old lad a C**t and wishing him injuries is out of order.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I did notice there was a lot of handshakes and back slapping after the game between all players....if there was any bad feeling it certainly wasnt shown aftr the game....i believe both sets of players played within the spirit of the game

Yep. Plus Donny players didn't rush around the ref after the challenge which you often get if they think its bad. Their Manager wasnt even ranting about it. Ref is in Sharps way, I think Dunk has anticipated Sharp taking the ball to his left and Dunk's tried to make the challenge. Can understand why the Donny fans are gutted, but not sure it was quite as bad as the Donny fans think.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Thanks guys. I suppose it is a bit like you losing LL and CMS on the first day, probably for the rest of the season.
We have Chris Brown but I can only see us being able to put him up front with Barnes, or Mason (both attacking midfielders). This bad luck with injuries is unbelievable. I can understand people saying "we all have injuries... get on with it" but our injuries last season would have crippled even Man u! And here we are, on the first bloody day, losing our two strikers through nothing to do with training methods, or physios.
I'll get over it, but right now I feel numb.
Terrible, terrible day.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Agree, but the spiteful comments DRFC fans are plastering over Dunks twitter page are shocking. Loads of people calling a 19yr old lad a C**t and wishing him injuries is out of order.

Another reason why Twitter should be banned for football players.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011

They're angry and pretty devastated. Things will settle down in time... but Dunk will never be forgiven, I'm afraid.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Agreed. His twitter comments are horrendous today. People are even saying they wish him dead! Not right at all. Apparently the guy he injured is having an xray on Monday so his injuries can't be that bad.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
They're angry and pretty devastated. Things will settle down in time... but Dunk will never be forgiven, I'm afraid.

That's ok, but what people have been saying is disgusting.
Unacceptable. I'm on my iPhone so can't post a screenshot but definitely not right for a 19 year old to come under that amount of abuse.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rumour has it (Donny forums) is that Billy Sharp was hiding a thigh injury, and from watching his earlier play it looked like his right thigh. i.e. He was crocked before the game.

It is a good job that Spurrs and Haytor were not sent off as it would have spoiled the game.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having seen it on FLS I thought Dunk was a bit lucky, BUT the ref was two yards away and had a better view than all of us. It was a bad challenge, but the lad is not malevolent.

I hope for Donny's sake (and the lad himself) that Sharp makes a quick recovery.
In a nutshell, this.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Thanks guys. I suppose it is a bit like you losing LL and CMS on the first day, probably for the rest of the season.
We have Chris Brown but I can only see us being able to put him up front with Barnes, or Mason (both attacking midfielders). This bad luck with injuries is unbelievable. I can understand people saying "we all have injuries... get on with it" but our injuries last season would have crippled even Man u! And here we are, on the first bloody day, losing our two strikers through nothing to do with training methods, or physios.
I'll get over it, but right now I feel numb.
Terrible, terrible day.

Agree entirely this is the worst day since we got relegated to the Conference, fook who if anybody is or may or may not be at fault. The position we find ourselves in is desperate.
The circumstances are now irrelevant, what's done is done and now we have to pick ourselves up , 'dust ouselves down' and get on with it. We have faced worse adversities than this and we will find a way of that I'm sure.
Thanks to all the decent BHA supporters who have shown their sympathies btw, seems the 'love in' can continue. ;)

matt

Mar 19, 2007

Get a grip, you bloody drama queen.
Injuries happen - they'll be back. If yesterday was the worst day of 40 years of supporting your club, it must have been a pretty dull 40 years.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Get a grip, you bloody drama queen.
Injuries happen - they'll be back. If yesterday was the worst day of 40 years of supporting your club, it must have been a pretty dull 40 years.

Oh come on fella , you get a grip......reverse the situation and then say that. Think without bias for once, we have 9 players out for sure and there may well be others who have taken a knock, would you be happy with that.
Incidentally I too don't agree with all this twittering shite, ffs stop the players doing it and any Rovers fans doing it well you can just fook off . I don't want YOU at the KM.
Any possibility that it could be Palarse fans by any chance folks, we don't usually carry on with that sort of malicious shite at this club ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here