Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Donny fan right?

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Don't understand football banter WTF?

Perhaps if they manage to fill their allocation next time and do something other than sit on their hands in silence then they might get what they want

Now you are talking out of your arse.....

1) The allocation would have gone had you fookin allocated it properly and 'on time' in the first bloody place instead of 'dicking ' us about royally and
2) There were very few 'sitting on their hands' , you had nigh on 19,000 supporters well out of banter range giving it large for many spells in the game. If you had heard us over the music (at 900 decibels) and a home crowd being exhorted to sing and chant in their brand new stadium, then quite frankly you should have been really worried.
Stop 'dissin' our support, we aren't doing that to you ! We made the long trek and have nothing to be ashamed of, some of our coaches never even got to the ground ffs after 8 hours of travelling ! :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
My mate is a Donny fan but lives locally so he has followed the stadiums progress along with the rest of us.

There was lots of publicity to say that the stadium would be made a great place for the away fans to visit with a legends gallery, lighting representing the away teams colours, guest beers and so on. Also that generally the concourses would not have concrete floors and block walls.

He went to yesterday's match with fans that weren't aware of the hype until he told them what to expect. He called me to say what a let down and that he felt a bit stupid having told the others what to expect.

The concourses are not much different to any modern stadium, there was no coloured lighting and when he asked what the guest beer was he was met with a vague stare.

I think the facilities in the stadium are good, the best Brighton fans have ever experienced and as good as any away fan could expect, but perhaps they were over hyped.

And yes the music is far too loud. I went to have a chat with another mate at half time and we had to shout at each other. It's a football match not a nightclub.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's fair to say that the concourses in the North and, by the sounds of it, the South are more basic than the West and East. However, while the club wants people to have a drink and enjoy themselves, especially afterwards, there is definitely a desire to get people to take their seats quite early pre-match. A good thing too. Perhaps that is one reason these areas are not as plush. To be honest, if they've got to keep the cost of the whole thing reasonable then the away end would seem the most sensible area to make savings.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
1) Easy access for 'away' fans to attack the 'home' fans and vice-versa
2) Lack of effective stewarding/police around a mixed coach park.

Will that do for starters ? The fella was trying to be constructive stop getting paranoid, the stadium is new, the staff are new, the coach park is new.
Constructive criticism should never be ignored especially when it involves the safety of both home and away supporters. These problems and others will need to be 'ironed out' before your bitter rivals come to town.

The bloke is a tedious bore, just like you, haven't you got a whippet to race or a flat cap to doff ?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I think he is spot on ----- Falmer

Well it looks great when you finally get there (the problem was getting there). Nobody in the centre of Brighton had a clue how to get there by bus and we got told 5 different directions to the train station so that was also a problem. Ended up catching one bus and dropped off 20 minutes walk from the stadium. The layout near it is pretty poor. Nothing around and that's the big negative of it really. I also felt they need some signage around as we didn't have a clue where it was to be honest, we just followed two Brighton fans.

It looks impressive when you first get there from the outside. Doesn't really look like a stadium though, more like an arena or something. When you finally find the away end (no signage as to where that is, that is needed). First encounter is the concourse, didn't see much of this personalisation thing, one pretty average projected image hidden away at the side was it, no colour scheme or anything as was mentioned. The concourse was too small. 1500 Rovers fans in a 2500 end and it was fully open yet very cramped, surprised that wasn't bigger and the toilets were tiny, huge queues for them, also lacked a bookies. A steward told us there was to be one but they feel the concourse is a bit small and lacked food outlets so they replaced it with a pie stand. It didn't seem to cope well to be honest, thought it would have been bigger given it's new.

When you walk in the huge stand grabs your attention. It is mighty impressive it has to be said. The second thing you notice is the PA. I'm 23 and go to lots of gigs but it was too loud. Great sound system but I like talking to mates without having to shout pre match.

It's a bit weird though. It's built well and looks impressive with that big stand but it all just feels a bit too fake and manufactured, if anything it looks a bit odd. The odd thing is the end stands. They don't go even up to the side touchline and it all looks a bit odd. My biggest criticsm of the away end was the seating. Hugely comfortable and lots of room, that's a positive in some respects but then you also feel like you've too much room (I'm a fan of cramped in seating improving atmosphere, you feel a bit spread out). Biggest criticsm is the slope of the stand, it's far too shallow. I was on row O and was barely at crossbar level. The negative here is the view of the other end is average and it's quite tough to make out what's exactly going on with being so low down.

Have to say the build quality is impressive and it looks like a cross between Cardiff and Huddersfield in a way. But it just feels a bit more like an arena than a football ground. The flags looked fantastic though, I'm sure atmosphere will come, the chants of Albion sound good but there was no real banter between fans almost as if the fans to our right didn't understand a football crowd at times. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic stadium but it doesn't have the feel of a football stadium if you get what I mean and the open corners etc give you this feeling that it's only half built. I can see probelms aswell at the away end with fans on the pitch, didn't seem to be much preventing you getting on the pitch. The pitch looked fantastic and the big screens are good too (though they could at least spell player's names correctly, two of ours spelt wrong and could do with showing yellow cards next to those booked). Being a bit picky there though.

It was a good day out, biggest disappointment obviously the result and some Albion fans booing Sharp as he was being carried off, bit out of order that I felt as it was clear he had a nasty injury from his body language. Also utterly bizarre some of the abuse we got at times around the ground. One guy had us in stitches saying he knew all about Doncaster and that our fans are a disgrace to football, how bizarre. There wasnt' much evidence of this fans relationship that always existed when we went to the Withdean, shame that. Also saw a bit of a set two in the coach park. A group of Brighton fans spat at an old man, bit out of order that especially as one of them had a young kid. The kid saved them as they did it right next to a group of older style blokes that to be honest didn't need encouragement for a scrap, had they not had the kid they'd have been in big trouble I think, bit out of order that. Have to say though in the town centre we met some real nice Brighton fans so it was a bit mixed, they seamt to have no idea how to get to the stadium either, but I'm sure that'll improve in time.

I'm not even going to mention the M25 though, some of our fans didn't even make it, talk about timing.

Sharpy's annoying because he's effective - not my favourite striker but he was applauded in patches where I sit in the Lower West. Spitting, never acceptable anywhere except in Patrick Viera's mind. You have to understand that the relationship between fans is lost on the johnny come lately types at Brighton so it wouldn't surprise me if the people you envcountered did not even realise until last week that Donny are in the Championship or of the restrospective respect between the supporters.

The out of town issues have got to be resolved. At the moment, asking in the middle of Brighton for directions unless you see an Albion fan is not going to meet with much success as their are too many foreign types with their Barcelona replicas on etcetera. It will take them some while to realise that they live in a city with a football club.

The people to your right were mostly in seats for club employees, relations of club people and lads on the club books. You're not going to get much banter going there.

Sorry that so many failed to make it. It was obvious that there had been problems as a coach arrived at about 2.30 just as I walked in.

There are precedents galore with Albion boys over the years even with special trains getting stuck etcetera.

Look forward to seeing you next time. Have a good season.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is he saying there was no atmosphere? :facepalm:

The volume of the music in the WSU was about right by the way; quieter than most grounds. Thought it was really stupid that they started playing "praise you" so soon at the end when everyone was still singing.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Part of the problem is that Donny don't have too many legends.

Far more than you fella and far bigger names , give me your top 5 and I will reciprocate and make you look rather foolish. Try google, I'll start you off Harry Gregg, Bert Tindall (most prolific striker both on goals scored and goals to games ratio), Alick Jeffries (recognised as one of the finest player of his era compared by many top pundits to Duncan Edwards before an horrific leg injury) , Peter Doherty, Billy Bremner (as player/manager, Ian Snodin, David Pegg (died at Munich) and of course for modern supporters :- Billy Sharp (goals to games ratio), James Coppinger, 'Sir' Francis Tierney (who brought us back from the dead). The list goes on.........
We may be a small club with a 'flat pack stadium but included in that list are some of the very top players in both the historical and modern game for us as supporters and for many that know their football .
Now your turn, but remember these were supposed to be our legends as that was the original idea wasn't it ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Well it looks great when you finally get there (the problem was getting there). Nobody in the centre of Brighton had a clue how to get there by bus and we got told 5 different directions to the train station so that was also a problem. Ended up catching one bus and dropped off 20 minutes walk from the stadium.

Didn't really read beyond this, because this is beyond ridiculous.

Surely when you go to an away game you work out where the stadium is and how to get to it?

It really couldn't be easier, the stadium in effect has it's own station, which is just three stops from Brighton cental station. If he couldn't find Brighton station (which, lets face it, is pretty cental and difficult to miss), and didn't bother to work out where it was beforehand, then I despiar.

I'm sorry but he really doesn't sound very bright.

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
Sounds like a jealous twat. Too much leg room? Agree about the lack of signs though.

theres no jealousy there, its constructive comments from the away fans perspective. interesting read. shame about the incident in car park..mindless minority. shame about billy sharp.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The out of town issues have got to be resolved. At the moment, asking in the middle of Brighton for directions unless you see an Albion fan is not going to meet with much success as their are too many foreign types with their Barcelona replicas on etcetera. It will take them some while to realise that they live in a city with a football club.

If away fans are in the middle of town asking and not going on the train then they're pretty well lost already! Most people find out how to get to an away ground before they set off surely? And those who don't, don't really deserve any sympathy.

Well it looks great when you finally get there (the problem was getting there). Nobody in the centre of Brighton had a clue how to get there by bus and we got told 5 different directions to the train station so that was also a problem. Ended up catching one bus and dropped off 20 minutes walk from the stadium. The layout near it is pretty poor. Nothing around and that's the big negative of it really. I also felt they need some signage around as we didn't have a clue where it was to be honest, we just followed two Brighton fans.

It looks impressive when you first get there from the outside. Doesn't really look like a stadium though, more like an arena or something. When you finally find the away end (no signage as to where that is, that is needed). First encounter is the concourse, didn't see much of this personalisation thing, one pretty average projected image hidden away at the side was it, no colour scheme or anything as was mentioned. The concourse was too small. 1500 Rovers fans in a 2500 end and it was fully open yet very cramped, surprised that wasn't bigger and the toilets were tiny, huge queues for them, also lacked a bookies. A steward told us there was to be one but they feel the concourse is a bit small and lacked food outlets so they replaced it with a pie stand. It didn't seem to cope well to be honest, thought it would have been bigger given it's new.

When you walk in the huge stand grabs your attention. It is mighty impressive it has to be said. The second thing you notice is the PA. I'm 23 and go to lots of gigs but it was too loud. Great sound system but I like talking to mates without having to shout pre match.

It's a bit weird though. It's built well and looks impressive with that big stand but it all just feels a bit too fake and manufactured, if anything it looks a bit odd. The odd thing is the end stands. They don't go even up to the side touchline and it all looks a bit odd. My biggest criticsm of the away end was the seating. Hugely comfortable and lots of room, that's a positive in some respects but then you also feel like you've too much room (I'm a fan of cramped in seating improving atmosphere, you feel a bit spread out). Biggest criticsm is the slope of the stand, it's far too shallow. I was on row O and was barely at crossbar level. The negative here is the view of the other end is average and it's quite tough to make out what's exactly going on with being so low down.

Have to say the build quality is impressive and it looks like a cross between Cardiff and Huddersfield in a way. But it just feels a bit more like an arena than a football ground. The flags looked fantastic though, I'm sure atmosphere will come, the chants of Albion sound good but there was no real banter between fans almost as if the fans to our right didn't understand a football crowd at times. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic stadium but it doesn't have the feel of a football stadium if you get what I mean and the open corners etc give you this feeling that it's only half built. I can see probelms aswell at the away end with fans on the pitch, didn't seem to be much preventing you getting on the pitch. The pitch looked fantastic and the big screens are good too (though they could at least spell player's names correctly, two of ours spelt wrong and could do with showing yellow cards next to those booked). Being a bit picky there though.

It was a good day out, biggest disappointment obviously the result and some Albion fans booing Sharp as he was being carried off, bit out of order that I felt as it was clear he had a nasty injury from his body language. Also utterly bizarre some of the abuse we got at times around the ground. One guy had us in stitches saying he knew all about Doncaster and that our fans are a disgrace to football, how bizarre. There wasnt' much evidence of this fans relationship that always existed when we went to the Withdean, shame that. Also saw a bit of a set two in the coach park. A group of Brighton fans spat at an old man, bit out of order that especially as one of them had a young kid. The kid saved them as they did it right next to a group of older style blokes that to be honest didn't need encouragement for a scrap, had they not had the kid they'd have been in big trouble I think, bit out of order that. Have to say though in the town centre we met some real nice Brighton fans so it was a bit mixed, they seamt to have no idea how to get to the stadium either, but I'm sure that'll improve in time.

I'm not even going to mention the M25 though, some of our fans didn't even make it, talk about timing.

Transport - it's a new stadium, and the points about getting there would be the same at any ground. Everyone has to find the way, as we do when we go away.
We have a railway station a few yards from the door!! (ffs!) :dunce:
Signs - agreed, the council ought to allow some special signs and adjustments to existing ones and mention our stadium.
Coloured outside effects? Why?? Can't agree there - we do not need to Americanize with neon and flash to let everyone know we sit in a nice area of the South Downs. Silly.
Toilet facilities are adequate EXCEPT everyone wants to go at once.... at half time. Same exists at most venues there then.
Bookies - agree we ought to have a bookies set up in the away end especially.
PA - too loud yesterday...at times. I have to agree it approached decibel overload, we will probably get that sorted I'd imagine. It was the big day though!
The stand elevation - oh do give over, the views are excellent and room adequate. One moment he says too cramped, next loads of room? Wha?? Anyway - remember Withdean?
Access to the pitch - not an issue, there's no need for anyone to be confused that they aren't allowed on the pitch. It would be 'enforced', we don't want big fences nowadays.
Banter - Can't account for individual moments, and no-one gets arrested for saying negs to each other about their club. Spitting sounds silly, but can't account for that either.
Player injury - imho Doncaster set the nasty tactic precedent, and got away with hampering our style. They ran out of options as they amounted yellows and the ref was warning them to cut it out. Lua Lua could also have got hurt in our first match. Gus getting sent from the dugout was a 'bit' of a sign about that, tell Mr DRFC fan!

One more thing that 'might' be true - we have an ARENA style of stadium, and that's true. It's the way forward! Making it look more homely or rustic might happen with time, but not with cheesy colour schemes or pretenses. Rust stains on the walls won't feel nice like home, and a few plants in the corners will detract from it being like a football ground. Perhaps a couple of pictures? Hmm ???
Actually I WOULD suggest one thing that can make this work, and it's done at American Basketball and Hockey stadia; They put up giant replicas of 'retired' shirt numbers with the name on the back. Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky..... could look good with Peter Ward, O'Sullivan, Horton, Hart,, Zamora shirts behind the goal ends and above the East Stand.
Flags and banners brought by fans will gradually hang from the balconies on the West, which will look great.

I don't like the opening at right of the South Stand, where you can see the girder beams much. Something could be hung from that area, perhaps.

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Don't think I've every been to a ground and seen a sign that says "away fans this way". The view from the ends at most football grounds is never that great so nothing new there. I also dislike the term "train station".

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
biggest disappointment obviously the result and some Albion fans booing Sharp as he was being carried off, bit out of order that I felt as it was clear he had a nasty injury from his body language.

I agree with him about that. Bang out of order.

Oct 25, 2003
Don't think I've every been to a ground and seen a sign that says "away fans this way". The view from the ends at most football grounds is never that great so nothing new there. I also dislike the term "train station".

i think withdean actually had a sign like that................but anyway, his ticket would have clearly said "south stand", not that hard is it

Oct 25, 2003
Football Ground Guide: American Express Community Stadium, Brighton And Hove Albion FC

Football Ground Guide: American Express Community Stadium, Brighton And Hove Albion FC

it really is your responsibility as an away fan to work out where you're going.........i remember when i was living in newcastle making the hungover last minute decision to go and see us in carlisle.......i rocked up about an hour before kick off, having tried to remember vague directions from the football ground guide so i knew vaguely where i was going, and if i got stuck i just asked for directions........it really is THAT simple

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
biggest disappointment obviously the result and some Albion fans booing Sharp as he was being carried off, bit out of order that I felt as it was clear he had a nasty injury from his body language.

I agree with him about that. Bang out of order.

to be fair from the other side it looked like he went down very easily and was wasting time or slowing the game down. Same for Hayter. And I'm also a big fan of people getting off the pitch when injured where possible to let the game continue. That was why I hope, and I have no doubt if oxygen was brought out it would have been a different story and he would have been applauded off. I didn't even release it was Sharp until the substitution came up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have to say that looking at the massed queues for the train after the game that it is going to be very 'interesting' when Millwall or Palace or West Ham are here.

I agree on the loos and I think it will be a real shame if the personalised away ends don't happen as promised.

I kind of understand his point on the slope of the stands too, I was in row F of the east and you don't see too much that's happening at the other end. Biggest problem I found was that the players shirts would just blend into the background of fans mostly wearing the same coloured shirts. Will try and be higher next time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here