Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Heard about the next wave of snow being due Wednesday, keeping my fingers crossed. Meant to finish work on Thursday but reckon if it snows Wednesday they'll let us finish then

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't really care this week, but I'm going to be BRICKING IT for Boxing Day. I'll be mightily macked off if D&R is cancelled.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Temperature is dropping now - down to 2.4C. Still too high for snow.

What is the perfect temperature for snow, Papa?

It would be easy to say below freezing, but it's a combination of Dew point, surface temperature and temperature 'at altitude'. It's possible to get snow at temps up to 7 or 8C with low dew points and dry air, but alternatively you can get rain (freezing) at well below freezing at the surface (if the air aloft is warmer).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Heavy Rain in Southwick.

4C 39F

Snow completely gone now.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Heavy Rain in Southwick.

4C 39F

Snow completely gone now.

Similar in Durrington - except the rain is colder... 2.2C :(

I thought earlier I saw some raint*, but I think it was rain.

* based upon a scale I've just made up from snow -> sleet -> reet -> raint -> rain.

Where snow = 100% snow.
Sleet = majority snow, some rain.
Reet = 50/50
Raint = majority rain
Rain = no snow.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nothing in Hurstpierpoint, Temp is dropping all the time hoping it'll fall as snow at some point. - Edit, no it is actually snowing, deffo looks like snow and the snow on the ground isnt going away

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
These fronts from the South are what are ruining it for us this Winter. This is the 3rd time, 3 weeks ago when our 9 inches were wiped out over night, Saturday when we got sleet and they had 5 inches, 20 miles inland and again today when the small amount of Snow that made it all Xmassy has been wiped out again. We NEVER get snow here with a front from the South as the warming effect of the channel means it is always Rain. What we need is a North Easterly / Easterly when the fronts come across land and do not have a chance to warm up. We are by far the warmest part of the Country and some 15 F warmer than only 100 miles North.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
These fronts from the South are what are ruining it for us this Winter. This is the 3rd time, 3 weeks ago when our 9 inches were wiped out over night, Saturday when we got sleet and they had 5 inches, 20 miles inland and again today when the small amount of Snow that made it all Xmassy has been wiped out again. We NEVER get snow here with a front from the South as the warming effect of the channel means it is always Rain. What we need is a North Easterly / Easterly when the fronts come across land and do not have a chance to warm up. We are by far the warmest part of the Country and some 15 F warmer than only 100 miles North.

Can't argue with that... it's very frustrating.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Pissing down with rain in Worthing

It's still rain here also. the temp seems to have stabilised at an annoyingly low (yet not low enough) 2C.

The whole place will be like a skating rink if the skie clear soon after it stops.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

This is what Graeme at the Met Office has sent out to the local authorities in the south east today:-

This forecast is for contingency planning purposes only.
It represents the Met Office’s assessment based on our current
understanding. This forecast is only valid for the time of issue and
more up to date information can be found on our website
UK weather forecast - Met Office

Headlines:

· Monday: Risk of disruptive snow across some southern parts of England and Wales.
· Very severe frost at night with limited daytime thaw of lying snow. Ice risk continues.
· Still doubts regarding possible snowfall and strong winds later in the week.
· Moderately strong signal for a reduced likelihood of snowfall from the southwest after
Christmas Day, with frost and ice risk also subsiding to some extent.

Monday 20th December 2010.
Sleet and snow is expected to spread from southwest England to some other southern parts of
England and south Wales, turning to rain in the far southwest and near English Channel coasts.
Falls of 5-10 cm are likely in places, with up to around 15 cm on hills in the southwest, where
disruption is expected. Generally lesser amounts towards the north of the affected area, which
includes London: this is not expected to be a repeat of Saturday across the southeast but it
should be stressed that there are still some doubts regarding amounts and northward extent of
snow.
Widespread ice where snow melt has occurred. Very low minima again tonight (locally minus
15-20 C) in some rural areas of Northern Ireland and Northern England.

Tuesday 21st until Saturday 25th December 2010.
Very cold with severe frost for most of the period. There remains uncertainty as to the amounts
and extent of further snowfall across eastern and central areas of the UK in the period late
Wednesday until Friday (Christmas Eve). Still a risk that some of this snow could be heavy and
accompanied by strong winds, bringing further disruption. Drier weather generally in the west.

Outlook
It seems likely to turn gradually less cold sometime during the period 26th to 30th. This transition
may be preceded by a northward-moving band of sleet or snow but by the close of December,
this is likely to have turned to rain and/or moved away. A drier signal around the New Year, still
with some frost and ice but with a much reduced risk of either severe frost or snow.

Confidence in the timing and extent of the change to less severe conditions is low, with a
lingering low probability that the colder air will prove more stubborn.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me too - especially as it will most likely be re-arranged midweek so I won't be able to go.

I'd be able to go, but it'd be a MAJOR pain in the arse, involving leaving work early, joining M25 rush houir traffic and it being a "dry run" as well.
Whereas a Boxing Day run involves someone else driving, tinnies on the way up, boozer, tinnies coming back, and no work to get back to for 9 days.

No brainer. All this snow can f*** RIGHT off sharpish as far as I'm concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here