[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
First decision is what to do about Gross and Welbeck, who are out of contract. On balance, I think they will both be let go.

There are a plethora of players out of contract in 2023, so it will be our last chance to get a fee for Maupay, Trossard and Biss. I think we extend the first 2 and MacAllister and sell Biss, using a chunk of the Biss money to replace Welbeck. It would appear that could be Brereton Diaz, and I think we could sweeten that deal by offering a couple more loan players to Blackburn (assuming they don't go up - Ferguson, Roberts and Mitoma would be options)

So who replaces Biss? At this point it looks like Moder or Caicedo.

I'd extend Van Hecke's deal and let Duffy go. I'd bring back Matt Clarke for Burn's spot.

I think Khadra will challenge Trossard, and I'd bring back Cochrane and let Solly go.

This looks well thought through.

I'd keep Welbeck, who can score goals and would get more with better service.

So that's Gross, Biss, Duffy and March out. Four fairly regular first teamers. That's quite a lot, but there are reasons for all, and the incoming options look sound with just one who will cost us a fair bit. Big question: is this enough? Might we need to spend more?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think West Ham will be his destination, just a feeling.

Good call: Rice replacement...
... which brings me on to an issue that will upset many on here: we won't get that much money for Biss. Not only is this because he's got just one year left on his contract, but also because there will be plenty of others who play in his position available this summer (Rice -- who will go for the largest amount -- Ndidi, Phillips, Tielemans, etc)

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I'm hoping our loan army will provide the centre backs we are in need of.

Midfield even after Biss goes seems to have enough in terms of numbers.

It is in attack that we really struggle so I'm hoping for an upgrade on Trossard (who may be off anyway) and I'm thinking maybe Jamie Tartt could be the man we need.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd keep Lallana. Our squad is very weak in leadership and he is probably our most natural leader.

Agreed - and his injury 'record' is being massively over stated. He has never missed more than 2 games this season through injury. And hes 'only' had 3 periods of absence in that time. Southampton, Chelsea, Spurs. And taken off early against Liverpool (obviously)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My only real hope is that, like Veltman, Mac Allister has a further option year on his contract so we don't have to sell him.

I suspect Bissouma, Trossard ( sadly ), Duffy, Welbeck, Groß, Băluță, Andone, Clarke and Connolly will move on.

We need to give Maupay a new deal so I put him at 50/50 on going or staying.

I haven't thought yet where that will leave us with necessary recruitment.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I’m honestly staggered by anyone thinking we should sell either Bissouma or Macallister.

I wouldn't think anybody would want to sell either of them.

However, Biss has refused to sign a new contract to date and, tbh, is already playing like he is on the beach. He is probably too good for us and those listing him as an "out" are just being realistic rather than wishing him on his way. Similar comments could be applied to Trossard.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some people playing Football Manager (or whatever the game is called) on here I think!

My guess is that there won't be much incoming activity this summer. We'll lose Biss, of course, and a few others. The main interest and activity will be around what happens to our twenty-odd returning loanees, who makes the first team squad, who goes out on loan again - and who we let go for good.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I know through the fanzine I was one of the prime movers in the campaign against him 30 years ago but I cannot see how we’ve got to the situation where we’ve turned Maupay into a modern day Mark Farrington?

Ashworth and the recruitment team have ultimately held back Maupay’s development as an EPL striker by not pairing him with a decent, injury free, strike partner.

He needs to stay and get someone in that can play with him at least 25/30 games a season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I find myself feeling that I don't really care now if both Bissouma and Trossard leave this summer, such has been their lack of effort and quality, these last few weeks. If that is all that they have left to give for the cause, we're really not going to miss them, and we're better off getting some money for them while we can. :down:

If you'd told me a few months ago, that I'd have written this in March, I'd have utterly refused to believe it. A real shame.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I find myself feeling that I don't really care now if both Bissouma and Trossard leave this summer, such has been their lack of effort and quality, these last few weeks. If that is all that they have left to give for the cause, we're really not going to miss them, and we're better off getting some money for them while we can. :down:

If you'd told me a few months ago, that I'd have written this in March, I'd have utterly refused to believe it. A real shame.
I am not sure about lack of effort from either Tross or Biss.

I do wonder if Biss is fully fit, (he's been on the bench a lot and substituted early a couple of times in the last few matches, perhaps suggesting his injury he picked up at the start of the year has not been fully fixed.) Therefore he might playing rather more cautiously than he did at the start of the season because of that.

I think people have been far too quick to turn on him.

As to Trossard, he is probably are most frustrating player as he undoubtedly has the talent to be more productive than he ultimately is. But he benefits from when the team are playing quickly, rather than slow, patient build up. Often by the time he gets the ball, there's not much option but to pass back to midfield, as he has so many players around him.
The same point has been made several times about why Lamptey has not been effective this season.

Anyway, I would keep them all if I could, because I am not sure we could replace them with anyone better

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am not sure about lack of effort from either Tross or Biss.

I do wonder if Biss is fully fit, (he's been on the bench a lot and substituted early a couple of times in the last few matches, perhaps suggesting his injury he picked up at the start of the year has not been fully fixed.) Therefore he might playing rather more cautiously than he did at the start of the season because of that.

I think people have been far too quick to turn on him.

As to Trossard, he is probably are most frustrating player as he undoubtedly has the talent to be more productive than he ultimately is. But he benefits from when the team are playing quickly, rather than slow, patient build up. Often by the time he gets the ball, there's not much option but to pass back to midfield, as he has so many players around him.
The same point has been made several times about why Lamptey has not been effective this season.

Anyway, I would keep them all if I could, because I am not sure we could replace them with anyone better

Biss was back to his best when he came back from his injury, which was at the end of October. It's been since his return from Afcon, which coincided with the end of the January window, that his form and demeanour have changed.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not sure if it's been posted already but I've seen in the papers that Joe Gomez should be available for around £23m this summer. He'd be a good signing for us, not sure if he's want to come but possibly Lallana being here could give us an edge, and the fact he'd most likely be starting week in week out. A back 3 of Gomez, Dunk and Webster would be pretty good.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Biss was back to his best when he came back from his injury, which was at the end of October. It's been since his return from Afcon, which coincided with the end of the January window, that his form and demeanour have changed.
Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean he is fit at the moment. I am sure GP mentioned he had a slight knock at one point.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
i think Trossard is probably in need of a change of scenery.

I hope he's sold abroad because I have a strong feeling he'll be a great success at his new club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports