Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

your favourite piece of commentary?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
for me it has to be motty from 2001, in that famous game against Germany.

When Heskey was about to score the 5th, he screams 'Emile Heskey, could it be 5?? YES IT IS!' in complete shock.:lol:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Its got to be the Sky commentary for Virgo's header against Swindon in the play off semi, closely followed by Martin Tylers when Crofts got the third goal at St Marys in 2009.

Although I was at both games I have watched those goals back on TV thousands of times and will never get bored of them!

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010
STOOOORRRRRREEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Shivers down spine

...........no contest

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Its the stuff of champions...its the stuff of dreams...."

(although I always thought he should say it the other way round)

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
"Thomas, charging through the midfield... it's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!"

"Can Manchester United score? They ALWAYS score" - moments before Sheringham scores against Bayern.

Two great bits of commentary from two of the greatest last minute goals in my lifetime. Sadly, Beckham's free kick against Greece didn't really have commentary to match, and Tyldesley has ruined his line a bit by always looking for a repeat of 'that magical night in Barcelona' every time a British team is losing in the closing stages.

Obviously, there's STOOOORER, "hold on Swindon fans, you're not there yet" and probably "it's the stuff of champions, the stuff of dreams!" but they mean more on a personal level, the other two are just great commentary lines.

Barry Davies must have a few in his locker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barry Davies must have a few in his locker.

"Mabbutt has gone forward with Stewart to the right, Lineker and Howells to the left. Is Gascoigne going to have a crack ? He is you know. OH I SAY ! BRILLIANT ! That...is...schoolboys own stuff. Oh, I bet even he can't believe it. Is there anything left from this man to surprise us ? That is one of the finest free kicks that this stadium has ever seen".

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
STOOOORRRRRREEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Shivers down spine

...........no contest

this

couldn't get into the game. Stood outside for the first half with portable radio, went back to a mate's house for the 2nd half. Not sure why come to think of it, would have been much better to hear the crowd there, but anyway, that moment.... STOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kudos to the thread starter btw, this should have some cracking emotive stuff on it. Love threads like this.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"Well the 30 minutes are almost up, Swindon fans, but you're not there yet....in it goes....oh it's gone in! Brighton, in added on time, have snatched a goal through Virgo!"

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Howlett now.

This may have been followed by Smith! But I didn't register it if it did because I could only hear music similar to that when pele scored that over-head kick in 'Escape To Victory'.

I will always remember 'It's a Sunday afternoon stroll now.' against Milllwall in the play-offs too.

Last edited:

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
"Mabbutt has gone forward with Stewart to the right, Lineker and Howells to the left. Is Gascoigne going to have a crack ? He is you know. OH I SAY ! BRILLIANT ! That...is...schoolboys own stuff. Oh, I bet even he can't believe it. Is there anything left from this man to surprise us ? That is one of the finest free kicks that this stadium has ever seen".

vs Arsenal in the 91 semi final. Marvellous scenes.

One of my favourite is-
"Dawson near post..........Almunia opts to punch..............OOOOOOOOOOOOOH WHAT A GOOOOAAAAALLLL! IT'S DANNY ROSE! ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!!...........CAN...YOU...BELIEVE IT?!"

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Another one I like is Martin Tyler in the Newcastle 5 - 0 Man United at St James' - Phillipe Albert's chip -

"On a day when Newcastle would have taken one, here they are looking for number five with Phillipe ALLLLLLLBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTT!!!! OOOHHH!!!! Absolutely Glorious!!!!"

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Anyone remember Tony Millards radio commentary at hereford? Late in the game Maskell is through with just one defender in front and another Albion Player (cant remember who) in space to his left who would surely score. Maskell hesitates and Tony screams "Pass it! Pass it! For christs sakes Pass it!" Sheer Quality and if anyone has the wherewithal to get a link to it on here, we would all be very grateful!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here