Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows XP SP2

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
downloading now.............*CRASH*

After reading abit about the problems its got I've finally plucked the courage to download it, but thats after doing a system restore point just in case :)

Anyone had any major problems? I;ve heard of a few games not working but the ones I play seem to be unaffected according to various forums.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
CrabtreeBHA said:
downloading now.............*CRASH*

After reading abit about the problems its got I've finally plucked the courage to download it, but thats after doing a system restore point just in case :)

Anyone had any major problems? I;ve heard of a few games not working but the ones I play seem to be unaffected according to various forums.

you using a pirated version of XP? :glare:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No probs yet I downloaded on Monday and everythings seems to be working OK. I did a restore point first as well just in case

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Windows XP SP2

moggy said:
you using a pirated version of XP? :glare:

nope this ones legit

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
cool thanks guys, just started a new game of champ man 03/04 so that better work :eek:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
My understanding is that most of the problems are related to programs that try and communicate over the internet because of the new firewall. Most of them can be fixed by just playing with the settings to unblock the programs that are having trouble.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah simular to what ive read, I use a 3rd party firewall that works just fine at the moment with everything. Must be a way to disable the new sp2 firewall if not play with the settings as you say.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
CrabtreeBHA said:
yeah simular to what ive read, I use a 3rd party firewall that works just fine at the moment with everything. Must be a way to disable the new sp2 firewall if not play with the settings as you say.

I *think* (because my machine at work hasn't been patched with SP2 yet) that you can disable the firewall in the new "Security Center" in SP2. All the new security settings stuff is in there I think.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
installed without a hitch, 1 problem found so far, I have to turn off my firewall to access Windows Updates but I'm sure theres a setting I can add to my firewall to stop that.....but thats a job for a later day!
Also was a sinch to stop the built in firewall so no probs there.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
how important is it to download these service packs cos i havent even got the first one after all the probs i heard it created

im also not a techie so didnt wanna mess about with my comp

do you need to download sp 1 before sp 2

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
SP1 worked fine with mine and really they are needed to help with security and stuff, your PC probably aint as at risk as Microsoft make out but thats just to get you downloading the latest stuff.....but its better to be safe than sorry!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
how dyou make a restore point? :jester:

wanna download it but got ALL my work on my computer and would actually top myself if anything gayed up all 120gig of photos!! :lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I can't install it, it unpacks the program ready to install then comes up with a message to the tune of;

file "update.dll" may be corrupted or is not available, cryptographic settings must be enabled to continue "abort"

I've stopped and started the cryptographic services and it still won't load.

Any ideas?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
done a google search but didnt fins much Superphil, might be worth e-mailing Microsoft support or searching their FAQs and stuff to see if its in there somewhere.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yep, that's what I'm trying to wade through, slow process though

Found 2 or 3 sites, including one with a batch file to be run before trying the installation, loads of other info too. This internet lark, pretty gud really, reckon it might catch on you know.

Last edited:

towbarball

Jul 27, 2004
If you look around the www.microsoft.com site you will find a link to request service pack 2 from microsoft on cd rom free of charge.
This is a fine gesture from the wealthiest man in the world. Even the postage is free.
I received mine this morning. :flameboun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here