Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan In Europe

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
with man utd getting to the final as well and likely to be in the Champs League next season, does that mean Wigan will be in the UEFA cup next season ??

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
i believe so. yes

ahhhh bless, good on them ..

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
its good to see wigan doing so well :clap2:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
however depressing it was for them to knock out the mighty g's i must say a HUGE congratulations to wigan. fnatastic achievment.

just thinking will they sell out the allocation at cardiff, 'cos i wanna go!"

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
REDLAND said:
with man utd getting to the final as well and likely to be in the Champs League next season, does that mean Wigan will be in the UEFA cup next season ??

Will Wigan have to win it to be in it? Or are they in UEFA just for making it through to the final?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Don't think so. It's only the FA Cup that does that isn't it? I think a Man U win would open up an extra place in the league standings for europe.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Re: Re: Wigan In Europe

eastlondonseagull said:
Will Wigan have to win it to be in it? Or are they in UEFA just for making it through to the final?

They are in it due to man U will make the Champs League..

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Nope I was just thinking this myself, and they wont be.

This is because remember 2000/01, where Liverpool won FA Cup(UEFA Cup entry), finished 3rd in the League(CL entry), and won the League Cup(UEFA Cup entry).

The losing finalists were Birmingham City, and they certainly didnt make it into Europe.

ever since they expanded the champions league,its got far more confusing figuring out Euro Qualification Rules, it was easy when it was 1=Champs League, 2-4/League Cup=UEFA, FA Cup=Cup Winners Cup.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Well what if Wigan and ManU get into the Champions League?

Does that mean Blackburn get a Uefa spot? :jester:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You have to win the league cup to get into the Uefa cup, the place goes to 6th in the league, which is good news for Spurs.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wigan are not in Europe unless they win the Cup.

If Man U win it, the European spot goes via league position.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I have a feeling that only the winners go through.. irregards of Man Utd finishing in a Champions League position. If MU won, then the Uefa Cup spot will go to the team finishing 7th in the league, and not the League Cup runners up... That said Wigan could finish 7th in the laegue anyway!

Not 100% on this though

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When Newcastle United won the Fairs Cup (predecessor of the UEFA Cup) in 1969, their qualification proces was bizarre, and can’t happen again now.

In those days, the champions went into the European Cup, the FA Cup winners went into the European Cup Winners’ Cup, and there were four spaces for the UEFA Cup. So how did Newcastle, who finished 10th in the old Division One that season, qualify for the UEFA Cup? And no, they didn’t win the League Cup, or even get to the final.

Answer later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here