Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why were Dunk and Webster switched yesterday ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now I know how Potterball works, but yesterday Webster played central and Dunk left. IIRC I don't think they have ever played that way round before, it's always been Dunk centre (except for when Duffy played and he always went central) and Webster left (or, very occasionally right, when Burn played).

Any ideas why ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To give waistcoat another excuse to pick Maguire, Stones, Coady and Mings.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
When we were playing a four at the back it was:
Veltman Webster Dunk Estupinan

With a three it's
Veltman Dunk Webster

Against West Ham we started:
Veltman Dunk Webster

and finished with:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

With a three it's
Veltman Dunk Webster

Veltman Dunk Webster

and finished with:

But the majority of the time we were playing with three and with the three we had it's always been Veltman right, Dunk Centre, Webster left. Up until now, I had always gone by the theory that GP plays his 'strongest defender' in the central role and the better 'ball players' left and right. Hence

Veltman, Dunk, Webster
Webster, Dunk, Cucu
Dunk, Duffy, Webster
Webster, Dunk, Burn
White, Dunk, Webster

Which is why yesterday had me puzzled ???

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The way to play against Leeds when Bielsa was a bout was basically to run through the middle and overload (as they were all about 1 on 1 battles) It's a little different now but they are still weak centrally. Perhaps the thought was to have Webster continue to do this and give him a little more freedom to attack from deep.

I think it may also be to have Dunk close to Pervis so he could make sure the left side was not exposed given his lack of familiarity.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think it may also be to have Dunk close to Pervis so he could make sure the left side was not exposed given his lack of familiarity.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

This.

GP to Dunk: "Keep an eye on the new boy. You know 3 more words of Spanish than Webby"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

With a three it's
Veltman Dunk Webster

Veltman Dunk Webster

and finished with:

Despite [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] disputing your post, this is the right answer. When we play a 'back four' (in scare quotes, because Potterology makes things more complicated than that), Webster tends to play as the RCB and Dunk as the LCB, whereas when we play a back three, Dunk plays central and Webster, usually to the left.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Despite [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] disputing your post, this is the right answer. When we play a 'back four' (in scare quotes, because Potterology makes things more complicated than that), Webster tends to play as the RCB and Dunk as the LCB, whereas when we play a back three, Dunk plays central and Webster, usually to the left.

I'm pleased someone else saw the game as I did.

I'm not planning on analysing who was playing where when we finished with a 'back six'

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
....because Potter thought that was the way to make sure we beat Leeds?

Probably needs someone on NSC to explain to him how to do his job........................................

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My thoughts exactly. Surely he must be thinking about getting 2 English centre backs in from the best defense in the league?

We’ve been thinking this for 2-3 seasons now though, haven’t we?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We played most of the game with a back 4, Dunk prefers the left side of the pair within a back 4. The previous 3 games were all against sides who play 1 central striker and have wider attackers so playing an extra defender reduces the space for the 2 wider players to get involved with attacks and utilises Match & Trossard in playing out from defence.

Leeds play with wingers who like to counter quick so playing 2 fullbacks minimised the space for them to get involved. Both James & Harrison regularly dropped deeper or central to try and get on the ball which nullified their attacks. I expect we will also play a back 4 Vs Fulham to stop balls into the box for Mitrovic

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We played most of the game with a back 4, Dunk prefers the left side of the pair within a back 4. The previous 3 games were all against sides who play 1 central striker and have wider attackers so playing an extra defender reduces the space for the 2 wider players to get involved with attacks and utilises Match & Trossard in playing out from defence.

Leeds play with wingers who like to counter quick so playing 2 fullbacks minimised the space for them to get involved. Both James & Harrison regularly dropped deeper or central to try and get on the ball which nullified their attacks. I expect we will also play a back 4 Vs Fulham to stop balls into the box for Mitrovic

Thanks for this. The second post today that's informative and illustrates an understanding of the game :thumbsup:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Thanks for this. The second post today that's informative and illustrates an understanding of the game :thumbsup:

I'll try not to do it too often, I have a reputation to uphold.

I did wonder if Pervis for Lallana was purely due to injury or for tactical reasons. Will we see more of a back 4 now that Potter has the personnel capable of playing that way or if he will utilise it only against specific opposition.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
GP is a master tactician , i was worried how we would cope with Mitrovic on Tuesday , then the name Graham Potter came to me , and the worry disappeared like Paracetamol and a headache . He has the answers ,and should we lose it wont be his fault , he will of done his bit , now it`s up to the lads .

Now I know how Potterball works, but yesterday Webster played central and Dunk left. IIRC I don't think they have ever played that way round before, it's always been Dunk centre (except for when Duffy played and he always went central) and Webster left (or, very occasionally right, when Burn played).

Any ideas why ?

We were playing a flat back 4 so both Dunk and Webster were playing slightly different roles to one Dunk usually plays as the central guy. I noticed it in the match thread and wondered why we had switched formations and whether it was about matching Leeds but this tweet seems to give the best explanation https://twitter.com/pstionalplay/status/1563924046017835008?s=21&t=kowHvq2tEL8KHgHvpfNOyA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here