Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which towns and villages best epitomise the real Sussex?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Some thoughts:

Alfriston, Lindfield, Cuckfield, Winchelsea, Rye, Firle, Ditchling, Arundel, Steyning, Kingston-by-Lewes, Lewes, West Dean (East Sussex), East Dean (East Sussex), Rottingdean.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
For me it's certainly the Lindfield/Cuckfield feel. Small shops, lovely houses, decent pubs.
Not quite sure Burgess Hill really fits into that though
medium

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Depends what you want the real Sussex to look like as you could just as easily select Bognor, littlehampton, worthing , Crawley and whitehawk

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Lindfield (best kept village in sussex winner 3 times), Alfriston, Ditchling

I don't think Cuckfield has a decent pub

If you're old like me you would remember The Kings Head. One of the finest pubs in Sussex.

The Cuckfield Crawl was good, Start at The Ship, down to The Rose and Crown, Whetesheaf next, back up to The Talbot, then Into The Kings Head and finally The white Harte.

Ah, the memories of my youth.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Firstly have to decide what Sussex is typically known for................Seaside and kiss me quick hat? Worthing probably fits the bill and has the right age population.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Exactly. Are we talking about the romanticised Sussex or what towns or villages are 'quintessentially' Sussex? I think Lewes fits the bill quite well.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Shoreham. Loads of history, good pubs, River Adur and the sea. Pity about that horrible development at Ropetackle which completely blocks what used to be a great view of the downs.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't think Cuckfield has a decent pub

Well the one I sat in a few months ago was lovely. I'd vote for Cuckfield just as long as it only includes the old village not the new housing.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ditchlin or poynings

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surely to capture "typical" Sussex, there would have to be a sea element to it. Alfreston is all very nice, but could really be in Derbyshire, no ?
Don't recall a pub anywhere in Derbyshire called the Smugglers!Beautiful countryside round there,remember doing the Berwick walk as a kid.Does the Rose Cottage? still exist (Alciston?)?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
For me it's certainly the Lindfield/Cuckfield feel. Small shops, lovely houses, decent pubs.
Not quite sure Burgess Hill really fits into that though
medium

Can you not recognise irony when it jumps up and slaps you round the face??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here