Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well Done Guy Butters...

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Thought Butters did alright. If he continues to play like that he won’t deserve the criticism that he currently receives. But it will be interesting to see if he can play well against a better side than Luton. But I hope he can.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Christ, Butters can't win with some of you. I thought he did everything that was asked of him - give the man some credit

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Thought Butters was excellent. Good positioning and gave us much needed height.
He was also talking a lot and organizing the defence. Constantly talking to Hinshelwood who in turn had a great game.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Was always in the right place at the right time and thought him and Hinshelwood were excellent at the back. Didn't see Hinshelwood at all last season but I've been really impressed by what I've seen so far in Div2. When DC, Watto, Blackwell all come back, will be a serious selection headache for SC.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I thought Guy had an excellent game - didn't put a foot wrong - and although Luton were crap he was hardly playing against mugs - Howard loads of goals in Divs 3 & 2, McSheffrey played in the prem and plaayed and scored in Div 1 and Courtney Pitt - plenty of Div 1 experience.

I also thougt his distribution was good.

Well Done Guy:clap: :clap:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair play big Guy, he did everything that was asked of him and looked solid (no insult intended).

Naturally I'd still prefer Danny, but it's good to see someone can come in and do the job, and I'm certainly not giving him stick while he's on the pitch.

NSC seemed to be coming in for a bit of Butters related stick on the phone-in after the game: "I hope you're all ashamed" etc. Well no really, we've had a laugh, nobody died, and most people are more than prepared to stand up and praise the bloke if he does well.

Plenty of players have come in for worse stick over the years.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He was ready when called upon. And did a reasonable job.

BUT (that is a big but by the way - boom boom)

.............. he did not actually win many headers against Howard. He looked in sheer panic when he got turned in the second half. Luton were not actually very good.

Another good decision by Coppell though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Okay, I hope he plays well in the next few games (if he starts them). That way we could hopefully sell him...bring in a premiership ball boy perhaps?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jasonkt31

It is my shirt, much to the disgust of the guy on the SCR phone in.

But then he also thought I was a bloke, which says enough about his judgement I feel.

I will be ecstatic if the big fella proved to have an outstanding season, and I will first in the queue to present him with his Player of the Year trophy if required. If he carries on like this of course, I will have to add some noughts to the shirt.

R2D2

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Didnt get to hear the SCR phone in, but I know you are definately not a bloke! :)

I think he did well yesterday and hope that this could be his season :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was happy with him yesterday but will be interested to see how he goes against a team with a couple of decent strikers or any real pace in the team.

Luton looked short enough of strikers without that plum Howard getting himself banned for a further three games!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
brighton rock said:
shows the gap from division 1 to division 2

That's exactly right.
Charlie wasn't really getting the stick last season, it was more the fact that we hadn't replaced him. That's no offense to Charlie, no one was saying he wasn't trying, just that he was exactly the sort of player we needed to replace in Div 1.

Div 2, he looks very good.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Voroshilov said:
Christ, Butters can't win with some of you. I thought he did everything that was asked of him - give the man some credit

Seconded. The guy can only play what's there - criticising a hypothetical performance against better opponents is pointless. We kept a first league clean sheet with him in the side - ergo the defence did their job.

Jimbo Jones

Jul 6, 2003
Lancaster/Brighton
He looked a different player to the one i saw last year.
He did everything asked of him....one of our best players on the pitch:clap2: :clap2:

It was good to see some no nonsence deffending again.....great stuff!:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here