Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford v. Brighton & Hove Albion

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nicolas messes up an Albion breakaway by shooting awfully.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
40 seconds to go .......

20 seconds .....

Time. Game still going on .....

1-1 FT

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
jimmyseagull said:
Palace grab last min equaliser

:clap2: Won't be celebrating a Palace goal often, but a draw there is a perfect result.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Thanks to Crewe losing again we've moved up one place, defeats for plymouth and Sheff Wed leave them only one point better off(both have worse gd.).

A fantastic result, more of the same if possible in the theatre of intimidation please.:)

1 Reading 22 30 53
2 Sheff Utd 22 22 49
3 Leeds 21 9 39
4 Watford 22 11 38
5 Luton 22 2 34
6 Preston 22 6 32
7 Burnley 22 5 32
8 Crystal Palace 20 9 31
9 Wolverhampton 22 8 31
10 Cardiff 22 6 31
11 Stoke 22 -4 31
12 Southampton 21 5 28
13 QPR 22 -6 28
14 Derby 22 -3 25
15 Ipswich 22 -10 25
16 Leicester 21 -2 24
17 Hull 22 -5 23
18 Norwich 22 -8 23
19 Coventry 22 -7 22
20 Plymouth 21 -11 20
21 Sheff Wed 22 -11 20
22 Brighton 22 -9 19
23 Crewe 22 -20 19
24 Millwall 22 -17 17

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Just back. Looked good first half and were unlucky to be behind at the break. In the second we were being pushed deeper and deeper and looked shakey at the end. Having said that we could have won it had Nicholas picked out Knight rather than dragging a shot wide on a break late on. All in all a fair result and a point gained rather than 2 points lost.

We had some good fortune; Hart could have walked for his handball, is he playing in goal in training? and King's penalty was a pretty lame effort.

Shame on Watford fans for booing a player being stretchered off.
It was the only noise they made all afternoon.

Chant of the day: 'What's it like in Elton's box?' sung to Brighton fans in the executive boxes

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
That was a decent point, and most would have taken it before the game. First half we just never managed to turn possession and position into decent chances and looked lightweight, but having said that going in a goal down was a travesty.

A good fighting performance in the second half, but Watford never got better than mediocre and I can't believe they're as high in the table as they are. And their fans - words fail. Words fail them, that is.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
BensGrandad said:
How many more times is OGH going to deliberately handle the ball will he never learn and any news on how bad Sebs injury is or what it is.

According to MM on the radio, Seb Carole twisted his ankle.

According to the radio and John Byrne, the ball bounced unnaturally and that is the reason why Gary Hart was going to head it but he handled it instead and we might have lost 1-2 if he hadn't.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From the away end it looked as if OGH was caught out of position and couldnt adjust himself one of the down sides of playing a player in a position to which he is not completely acustomed. This also happens with PR getting caught trying to clear the ball and having to use his right foot when a natural left footed player would have cleared it easier.

Last edited:

We played well. Watford stretched us a bit in the second half, they have a lot of quick, lively players. They look a bit like us with their plethora of attacking midgets, but, because of that, we were able to match them for most of the game. They did not intimidate us in any way. Boothroyd gave us a lot of respect, leaving King up on his own for much of the first half.

The spine of the team battled well, the centre-backs and Charlie and Dean, and we looked solid. Their goal in first half injury time came completely out of the blue with a long ball mysteriously not picked up by either El Abd or Tank, but King finished well.

Tank had his revenge though. Funny to recall that Paul Camillin put Tank on the spot in the Seagulls World preview yesterday by reminding him he hadn't scored for a while! Good motivation :drink:

While Watford had some good chances in the second half, so did we. A very good move involving Knight and Hammond was only foiled when Knight didn't push himself to get the return cross. And Alexis at the end had a huge amount of space on the edge of the Watford box but showed that little lack of composure he has in the opposition third.

All in all, a fine point against the third-placed team. The away fans can certainly have no complaints about the form of the team on the road, the spirit is terrific once we get away from the flat old Withers.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Why didnt Hammond shoot at the end?! And decided to pass it to no one!

I think we should have had a penalty when Robinson was fouled from behind. How did they get a penalty for handball, and Hammond or Butters whoever did it, wasn't sent off? Hart should have been sent off though towards the end! Liked the way he tried to fake it that he headed the ball.

Good first half performance, had quite a lot of the ball but didn't do much infront of goal.

El Abd, Oatway, and Frutos had great games.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the radio commentary had an off-day and they may have got the Albion players wrong, or maybe their view was poor. I did seem that Charlie Oatway made some vital tackles and that was what he is meant to do.

The main talking point might have been the Nicolas feeble attempt at goal near the end when he could have passed?

Myself, the feeling was a 1-1 draw was good enough and as long as he did not give the ball to the opposition that was OK. But maybe that attitude would be why we are not winning enough games?

Most neutrals had as down for a heavy defeat. I put as down for a 1-1 draw. But I would probably have us down as 1-1 if we played Histon at home in the Cup.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BTW - Marvellous scenes in the pub as Poke and me listened to Take That.

Poke - can I go to and see them with you purleeeeeeaaaasseeeee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here